Sav it's Good!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
When I took Dennis for a ride when they stopped by he told me to get this before it went bad so when I picked up the last of the Sugar Maple I decided that I would grab this birch on the way out, total rounds today fom the two trees was 45.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4306.jpg
    100_4306.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 450
  • 100_4307.jpg
    100_4307.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 446
  • 100_4308.jpg
    100_4308.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 451
  • 100_4309.jpg
    100_4309.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 450
Good save.
Get it split fairly quick, rounds I've left unsplit have went punky in a year or so.
Good wood IMO.

Bogydave, the plans are to have it split & stacked this weekend. Just thinking about tomorrow, have some cherry that need to come down, both are in the same area an should give us another 60 - 80 rounds.

If I hear rifle shots in that are in the morning then I will call it off. This will be the first birch we have taken.

zap

Nice work ZAP. That should burn nice if you get it s/s so it will dry out soon. It was a nice day to be outside today. Wasn't it? I split and stacked five cord of my pile of rounds today. Pictures to come when the pile is history tomorrow. Splitter is a little slow, but it makes it relaxing. Back is a little sore now though. :smirk:

Funny that, I've been splitting birch this morning.

My favourite wood for splitting..... :)

Gasifier said:
Nice work ZAP. That should burn nice if you get it s/s so it will dry out soon. It was a nice day to be outside today. Wasn't it? I split and stacked five cord of my pile of rounds today. Pictures to come when the pile is history tomorrow. Splitter is a little slow, but it makes it relaxing. Back is a little sore now though. :smirk:

Gasifier, sure is nice weather so we can get more work done. Looking forward to the pictures of the splitting & stacking.

zap

woodchip said:

My neighbor was just telling me last week how he liked some birch to burn, we have one in the area I plan on working today that needs to come down.

zap

Glad you got that mossy old thing zap. Lots of good wood there.

Hey, I told you it was to warm up and warm up it did! We got to 59 degrees yesterday! Wow! Of course, rain/snow in the forecast now too.

Backwoods Savage said:
Glad you got that mossy old thing zap. Lots of good wood there.

Hey, I told you it was to warm up and warm up it did! We got to 59 degrees yesterday! Wow! Of course, rain/snow in the forecast now too.

Sav, do you remember the cherry near the back line when you went on the ride, growing like a leaner so you mentioned it should come down, heading out in 30 minutes to grab it.

zap

Zap, I do remember that tree. Go get it! Wish I had some like that but we have so many ash still waiting to cut. Will be starting in a few days now.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, I do remember that tree. Go get it! Wish I had some like that but we have so many ash still waiting to cut. Will be starting in a few days now.

Be careful, drink lots of water, Working in that heat can be dangerous :)

I have a lot of 2 year old yellow birch rounds, about 8 inches diameter - no sign of rot at all. Kept them for all-nighters. I'm not sure if all birch rot as quickly as white and gray. Black also seems to be much more rot resistant. Cheers!

woodchip said:

woodchip, I take it the birch splits real easy.

zap

NH_Wood said:
I have a lot of 2 year old yellow birch rounds, about 8 inches diameter - no sign of rot at all. Kept them for all-nighters. I'm not sure if all birch rot as quickly as white and gray. Black also seems to be much more rot resistant. Cheers!

I think you'll find yellow is better than white birch both in density, burn time, rot-resistance and it has the benefit of a very pleasant smell when split.

zapny said:
woodchip said:

zap

Easiest wood I have ever split, love it. I'll be cutting and splitting more tomorrow from the weekends scrounge ;-)

woodchip said:
zapny said:
woodchip said:

zap

Easiest wood I have ever split, love it. I'll be cutting and splitting more tomorrow from the weekends scrounge ;-)

I'll be splitting one round of birch tonight, some think it's yellow others think it's white, so we'll do a identification.

zap

Looking forward to the pictures zap ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.