Saw cutting in a curve...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shari said:
Three directions as I received them for my 'new-to-me' Stihl:

1. Gas: Premium gas only, mixed 50:1.
2. Bar oil: Refill everytime you tank up with gas.
3. No exceptions to the above.

Shari

As to the mix ratio - I'm taking the conservative approach at this point and buying the little bottles that are measured for 1 gallon and using a 1 gallon can to mix in. Figure it will be hard to screw that one up. Ok - so figuring the cost there the difference between regular and premium fuel isn't much now in the total $/gallon cost so I'm going with premium as well as I heard that advice too. I may start buying the oil in larger bottles and measuring it for the gas can if/when I start cutting enough to empty a gallon can more often, but for now the convenience of knowing I'm not under/over ratio is worth it.

Somehow I don't think I'll ever get there though - I imagine I'd have to cut a LOT of wood to be mixing that much fuel, but then again I have been surprised at just how quickly I drain the tank. Still - if I burn a maximum of 5 cords a year, how much gas can I possibly burn?

Slow1 said:
Shari said:
Three directions as I received them for my 'new-to-me' Stihl:

1. Gas: Premium gas only, mixed 50:1.
2. Bar oil: Refill everytime you tank up with gas.
3. No exceptions to the above.

Shari

As to the mix ratio - I'm taking the conservative approach at this point and buying the little bottles that are measured for 1 gallon and using a 1 gallon can to mix in. Figure it will be hard to screw that one up. Ok - so figuring the cost there the difference between regular and premium fuel isn't much now in the total $/gallon cost so I'm going with premium as well as I heard that advice too. I may start buying the oil in larger bottles and measuring it for the gas can if/when I start cutting enough to empty a gallon can more often, but for now the convenience of knowing I'm not under/over ratio is worth it.

Somehow I don't think I'll ever get there though - I imagine I'd have to cut a LOT of wood to be mixing that much fuel, but then again I have been surprised at just how quickly I drain the tank. Still - if I burn a maximum of 5 cords a year, how much gas can I possibly burn?

IMHO, unless you are doing it for a living, and going through a gallon of mix in less than a day or two, you are best off doing the pre-mix bottles and the 1 gallon can - it is the most error proof approach, and will tend to not have you letting the mix sit around too long... (remember it is best to not let mix sit unused for more than 3-4 months, if you haven't burned it in your saw, dump it into a lawnmower or other non-fussy engine and start with fresh...)

I reccomend buying bar oil by the gallon, and the last time I shopped for some (a few weeks ago) the best price was at Wal-Mart for Pull-on brand, $6.99/gal IIRC.

Gooserider

a good place to start is a new chain also depending on the condition a new bar and sprocket would be advisable sometimes the bar cab be repaired with a roller and edger usually a sprocket is good for about two chains.

I have an 028 and if i fill the oil and gas at the same time, I'll be out of oil first, but only barely. I also use a 40:1 mix and it seems to run really well. anybody have any experience with that? I know it says to use 50:1, but I figured better to error this way instead of too little oil.

So, you are liking your 028? what size bar do you have? I just got a new 20" bar and am thrilled with it!

gooserider is right on the money to learn to sharpen and maintain a chain will take more time than you expect but it will be easier if you keep an open mind and consult a knowledgable professional or just have the pro maintain it for you.

Attachments

• husky359.jpg
    husky359.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 126
Wow! talk about an old thread returning to life here.

Yes I like my saw - I've now cut about 4 cords with it, which I realize isn't a lot for most folks, but it is more than I had expected to do so soon. I have another 3 cords(ish) waiting for me (see other thread about my log pile). I'm too lazy to re-read this thread but I think I did update to say that I ended up getting a new bar and chain as the old bar was badly worn. I'm running a 16" bar on it at the moment and haven't had any trouble. However I'm about to go get a longer one as this pile of logs has a couple of really wide pieces - more like 38".

I'm debating between 18 and 20" - I don't expect to leave the longer bar on all the time as this one is quite comfortable for everything I've encountered so far and it is convenient that I burn at 16" length so I can measure using the bar length as a guide. Perhaps the 20" is the way to go as I'll only use it on these somewhat rare cuts where I need the extra reach. I'm glad to hear it can pull the 20" in your case as that is the one thing I was concerned about - what chain did you put on there?

i have a husky 359 with a 24"bar i wouldnt have anything shorter than 24" it saves your back from the bending of using shorter bars.

Attachments

• husky359.jpg
    husky359.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 143
i usually go to the woods and cut a good sized load of wood aprox 3/4 cord and i always fuel and top off oil before i start to cut and i verry seldom run out off one tank of gas before ive got a load cut and unless i get into some dirty wood or hit a rock i can usually cut 2 loads between sharpening.

Slow1 said:
Wow! talk about an old thread returning to life here.

Yes I like my saw - I've now cut about 4 cords with it, which I realize isn't a lot for most folks, but it is more than I had expected to do so soon. I have another 3 cords(ish) waiting for me (see other thread about my log pile). I'm too lazy to re-read this thread but I think I did update to say that I ended up getting a new bar and chain as the old bar was badly worn. I'm running a 16" bar on it at the moment and haven't had any trouble. However I'm about to go get a longer one as this pile of logs has a couple of really wide pieces - more like 38".

I'm debating between 18 and 20" - I don't expect to leave the longer bar on all the time as this one is quite comfortable for everything I've encountered so far and it is convenient that I burn at 16" length so I can measure using the bar length as a guide. Perhaps the 20" is the way to go as I'll only use it on these somewhat rare cuts where I need the extra reach. I'm glad to hear it can pull the 20" in your case as that is the one thing I was concerned about - what chain did you put on there?

I wouldn't bother with 2" more. Go with the 20"

Danno77 said:
I have an 028 and if i fill the oil and gas at the same time, I'll be out of oil first, but only barely. I also use a 40:1 mix and it seems to run really well. anybody have any experience with that? I know it says to use 50:1, but I figured better to error this way instead of too little oil.

So, you are liking your 028? what size bar do you have? I just got a new 20" bar and am thrilled with it!

Your 028 is actually spec ed to run on a 40:1 stihl oil mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.