Saw delima

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

duramaxman05

Minister of Fire
Aug 17, 2014
Perryville, Mo
I need some advise and input. I came across an stihl 056 magnum 2. The engine is complete and has about 90% of the other parts to finish. Guy said it has 160psi compression. I have always wanted one of these beasts. I think i would restore it. I can get it for $200. What do you guys think?

received_4795997510498034.jpeg received_918463832176389.jpeg received_478667193799243.jpeg received_383649699849409.jpeg

If the price is right for you go for it. Seems like the parts are more available now than they ever have been.

Reactions: duramaxman05
I wore out a bunch of them. Good saws, well balanced. Slow but good torque. Used them in old growth 32-36” bars mostly sometimes a 42 on steep ground. Mostly modified but ran a few stock

Do I need the saw, no. I cut the biggest tree up that was 58" on the stump with my 2172 and 24in bar. But the old 056 mag2 has the muscle saw cool factor. Lol. And don't even ask my wife if I need it.

Reactions: mcdougy and Nealm66
They’re only real weak spot was the mounts and handle bars. Contrary to popular belief, timber fallers can be pretty brutal on a power head especially if it gets pinched lol. Chopping yourself out or worse, having to ask a nearby cutter to saw you out was highly frowned upon. It rarely happened but the occasional pinch is pretty common. I used to have a boneyard of parts until the 66. The outer clutch and gearing would probably make it a decent mill saw candidate but not a speed demon by any means

They’re only real weak spot was the mounts and handle bars. Contrary to popular belief, timber fallers can be pretty brutal on a power head especially if it gets pinched lol. Chopping yourself out or worse, having to ask a nearby cutter to saw you out was highly frowned upon. It rarely happened but the occasional pinch is pretty common. I used to have a boneyard of parts until the 66. The outer clutch and gearing would probably make it a decent mill saw candidate but not a speed demon by any means
I know another weak spot on them is the ignition. It has the sem coil and they're still available through stihl. So that's a plus. The not so good about that coil is its $230. I have a 056 mag 2 on my work bench that I am putting a new sem coil on. If I would get it, I am gonna do some research and will port it. Or send it to have ported.

Yes I know timber cutters are hard on saws. My father in law is one. Especially when you have a few month old ms462 and it gets ran over by the skidder. Ouch.

Never had any problems with the coils but different environment. 6 months they were pretty tired and always debatable wether to throw a top end on them as the mounts were usually shot and bearings could be close but that’s with every saw. Mostly high lead logging in my years/area. Some shovel ground but it was rare. Last ten years was a lot of tree length which will eat motors, sometimes 2.5 gallons a day depending on stump diameter

Your asking the wrong crowd..... Never enough saws .. ;)

I guess if you want it, get it. The only a couple points I can offer:

- 160 psi seems almost suspiciously high to me. Possibly I'm wrong, possibly the number is BS, or possibly the saw is really just that 'hot'. But I'd just make sure it has not had work like an extreme port job or shaving the head/cylinder to make it some sort of hard to run 'race saw'...unless you want something like that.

- My experience with "90%" projects is typically "I have the easy 90% done... the other 10% parts are out of stock, unobtanium, extremely expensive, need to be custom made, or one comes up on ebay every 10 years or so." Just be sure to take careful stock of what you actually need to finish and make sure that fits in the budget, or possibly you have your own spares to put in.

- If you're fixing up with the plan to turn a profit - I don't know that I've ever rebuilt anything where I felt I got the parts value out of it much less my time/labor. Possibly I'm just working on the wrong junk, though! But if this is for fun/enjoyment, then that is ideal. If it is to turn a profit, that is another thing to consider - especially in light of the point above.

Good luck and have fun!

I need some advise and input. I came across an stihl 056 magnum 2. The engine is complete and has about 90% of the other parts to finish. Guy said it has 160psi compression. I have always wanted one of these beasts. I think i would restore it. I can get it for $200. What do you guys think?

View attachment 293310 View attachment 293311 View attachment 293312 View attachment 293313
I say if you can afford it you better own it. After a couple shoulder surgery's I just don't mess with the old chain saws any more. The last few times we needed my 660 on a couple trees I let my buddy run it. Can't say I ever saw a 056 around here. A fellow in my area used to run a 090 with a five foot bar on it. I had him take down a couple big cotton woods with it years ago. Not for sure were that saw went when he passed away ten years ago.

Last edited:
I guess if you want it, get it. The only a couple points I can offer:

- 160 psi seems almost suspiciously high to me. Possibly I'm wrong, possibly the number is BS, or possibly the saw is really just that 'hot'. But I'd just make sure it has not had work like an extreme port job or shaving the head/cylinder to make it some sort of hard to run 'race saw'...unless you want something like that.

- My experience with "90%" projects is typically "I have the easy 90% done... the other 10% parts are out of stock, unobtanium, extremely expensive, need to be custom made, or one comes up on ebay every 10 years or so." Just be sure to take careful stock of what you actually need to finish and make sure that fits in the budget, or possibly you have your own spares to put in.

- If you're fixing up with the plan to turn a profit - I don't know that I've ever rebuilt anything where I felt I got the parts value out of it much less my time/labor. Possibly I'm just working on the wrong junk, though! But if this is for fun/enjoyment, then that is ideal. If it is to turn a profit, that is another thing to consider - especially in light of the point above.

Good luck and have fun!
That's what the guy said so who knows. It's his word against mine. If I would try to flip it, I agree on you can never get your labor back out of it. Especially on a project saw. The parts he mentioned that it needed was the fuel line in the tank, some screws and a couple of av buffers. So far I can come up with the parts that it needs that he said. But I won't know until I get started with it. He said it ran before he took it apart. He took it apart due to the rotted fuel line in the tank. So it a 50/50 chance. It's definitely not a saw I will run that much. But would be cool to have an old muscle saw with a bigger bar for the times you need it.

Release the Kraken ! ;)

Just buy it...
says the guy with 200+ saws.

Just buy it...
says the guy with 200+ saws.
Ok ok ok ok, you can quit twisting my arm. 200+ saws? What monsters do you have? You almost have enough saws for everyday of the year.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
I have been concentration on acquiring monsters for the last while...
Big CC,old ,geardrive.
I have been collecting PM Canadiens there are a couple left i haven't found yet.Have most of the 0 series of Stihls.Have one of each model Hornet made
I have a semi trailer for my saw storage,plus a wall full at my shop,Plus a bunch in my Boiler building.
200 is probably conservative,it depends on what your definition of a saw is.

Big CC,old ,geardrive.
I have been collecting PM Canadiens there are a couple left i haven't found yet.Have most of the 0 series of Stihls.Have one of each model Hornet made
I have a semi trailer for my saw storage,plus a wall full at my shop,Plus a bunch in my Boiler building.
That's pretty awesomee

Big CC,old ,geardrive.
You make Buckin look like a slacker.

6AB7C278-6D3C-47F0-A11E-A499DF7341F5.jpeg

I show up to cut trees down or buck up fire wood with six running saws in my saw trailer and folks around here think I am crazy. I like to be prepared for any issues that might come up.
When I bought my very first saw, it was a stihl ms441 with 25" bar. It was my do everything saw from trimming trees to cutting the down and bucking them up. I used to get a a lot of crap trimming my trees with that beast. After holding that beast up over your head to trim a limb makes you realize, that's dumb to do that. So from there on I started the saw addiction.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Are they all working ?
No that's for retirement.
I usually have a dozen running,i use them to cut my wood then i sell them when i know they run right.
The old ones i keep for now.
Oldest i have running is a 40's Hornet.

A few pic's i found quick

120.JPG 121.JPG 044.JPG