Saw delima

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Here is the new beast with a total 20" bar with oregon chisel skip tooth chain. I had to try it out. It's got some power. My 32" bar should be in tomorrow. I will have pictures of that tomorrow

20220413_170432.jpg

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Shiny! I always wrapped electrical tape around the end of the pistol grip on all my new husky’s cus I’d always twist it open somehow on tree length jobs. It would do something to the linkage and give about half throttle and I’d you’d have to pull it apart to fix it. Another guy I worked with had the same problem. Probably not an issue for normal use. Locktite the dawg screws.

Reactions: duramaxman05
You will like that new saw. Got a buddy that has a 372 and a 395. They have been good saws for him. He's a Husky guy. I came close to buying a 395 when I found my low hour 660 for a good price a few years back. That 20 inch bar looks lost on that saw.

Yeah it will pair well with jonsered 2172, 625, husqvarna 550xp and dolmar ps421. Yes the saw look a little funny with that bar. Like me in the winter time. Lol

My local store has two or three brand new never used 372's for sale, which is crazy. When I use my 16" bar on my 395 it's also running .050" 3/8 LP full compliment chain, and it looks silly. Rips 6" logs into 4x4's with authority, but still looks very silly.

Here it is with the 32" tsumura bar and oregon skip tooth chisel chain. It's more proportioned now. Now gotta find time to try it out.

20220415_031529.jpg

Now it looks like a real saw. LOL. I have some big hedge {Osage Orange} in one of my pastures that you could break that new saw in on.
If you were closer I would be ready

I get tired just looking at my Husky 460 with 16" bar. These days it's rare I fire up anything other than my tiny Stihl 150TC unless I'm felling a tree larger than 12".

You must have some big firewood. That thing makes my arms tired just looking at it for for my normal firewood
I work in st louis for a demotion contractor and everyone in a while when we tear down a house, we have to take some trees down and I get to bring them home. They get big up there. I have a 40" maple log at the house from one of the jobs.

I get tired just looking at my Husky 460 with 16" bar. These days it's rare I fire up anything other than my tiny Stihl 150TC unless I'm felling a tree larger than 12".
I am getting like that also. Between age and two shoulder surgery's that didn't go the best. I let my two firewood helpers run the bigger saws and I am running the Stihl 261 I bought a couple years ago. I have a small Echo top handle I use the most any more. Usually when we are bucking or felling trees I am in the skid loader with the grapple. We buck most every thing with the skid loader any more. No body wants to bend over to cut wood.

I really like the 260 size saws for firewood. I have a top handle 190 size stihl ( not exactly sure the model #) that I use for climbing and that thing kills my forearms after a tank but still light and handy for climbing/topping. Seems like whenever I do some tree work every helper wants the 260 as well so I get stuck slicing up the butt cuts.

On bending over a lot ...

I've been wearing my weight-lifting belt when using the chainsaw, splitting with a maul, and picking up the split wood to stack. The back support really seems to help.

It's an inexpensive belt with a Velcro closure.

Last edited:
Have you had a chance to run the 395 yet?
Yes a little bit. I cut up a big hard maple that took the whole bar. Also a big oak too. All I can say is it's a freaking beast. It didn't seem to matter how hard I pushed it, it kept eating. I can stop it in the cut with the bar buried and pull the trigger and it will take back off. My dolmar is the only other saw that I have that will do that. So it's got some torque to it too. I'm impressed with it so far and only have run a tank of gas through it. It's only gonna get better.

That’s awesome. I’m not sure if cutting firewood you’ll really get a chance to appreciate how smooth of a saw it is. Funny, the 385 is a completely different motor. Not as smooth or balanced ( 32 is the norm here). Lighter though and more productive in the average size timber now days

Shiny! I always wrapped electrical tape around the end of the pistol grip on all my new husky’s cus I’d always twist it open somehow on tree length jobs. It would do something to the linkage and give about half throttle and I’d you’d have to pull it apart to fix it. Another guy I worked with had the same problem. Probably not an issue for normal use. Locktite the dawg screws.

I have fixed these issues for tree guys and it is from pulling/yanking on the saw after pinching the bar.

Ha! Guilty as charged! Never really gave it much thought. I would have guessed it more because of all the Saginaw undercuts in tree length jobs. Always torquing the pistol grip undercutting all day long but definitely if it’s pinched a guy has to give at least a good jerk and pull to assess the pinch lol

Ha! Guilty as charged! Never really gave it much thought. I would have guessed it more because of all the Saginaw undercuts in tree length jobs. Always torquing the pistol grip undercutting all day long but definitely if it’s pinched a guy has to give at least a good jerk and pull to assess the pinch lol

If you have to pull up that hard to undercut, your chain needs work. I used to apply healthy pressure, but once I learned how a chain should feed itself into the wood, everything changed. It's amazing how many chainsaws have dull chains, even after sharpening, or just improper sharpening.

Lol, no dull chains. Probably average 50 thousand bd ft (scibner scale) a day ( 6 hours) on tree length jobs . Different world here in the pnw logging. Show up with a round filed chain and nobody would hire you