Saw delima

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well I just got done working on a 056 magnum 2 and ran it. All I gotta say is she's got some power. I'm only running a 20in bar and I'm ripping blocks down. She's a beast for sure. I just may have to add one to my collection.

Well I just got done working on a 056 magnum 2 and ran it. All I gotta say is she's got some power. I'm only running a 20in bar and I'm ripping blocks down. She's a beast for sure. I just may have to add one to my collection.
I love running a small bar on a huge saw. My 395xp is set up for milling and I have a 16" bar on it. Rips small logs into 4x4's with some speed! I bump up to the "long" 24" bar for larger logs. Still have the original 28" bar and can go up to whatever size I need, but low profile ripping chain tops out at 24" and I like the small kerf. The Chinese 3/8 lp ripping chain I have doesn't hold up to the 24" bar so I had to spring for the expensive Stihl 63PMX, which is what the Chinese made chain is copying. To be fair, that chain might hold up to 24" with a less powerful saw, but that's way too slow for me. I bet that 056 would make a decent mill saw.

Reactions: duramaxman05
I can’t remember who modified the last 56 I had but it was a dandy job. I’m not that knowledgeable about the subject but it seemed like they gained more from stock than the 66’s did back then. I had a resi tree service on the weekends and we had a modified 64 that really didn’t cut the mustard for old growth but it was extremely peppy for chunking down fir and nice and light compared to the 56

I can’t remember who modified the last 56 I had but it was a dandy job. I’m not that knowledgeable about the subject but it seemed like they gained more from stock than the 66’s did back then. I had a resi tree service on the weekends and we had a modified 64 that really didn’t cut the mustard for old growth but it was extremely peppy for chunking down fir and nice and light compared to the 56
A few weeks ago I found a 084 for $150. If it wasn't 3 hours away and snowing, it would be sitting on my bench. I like the 056 because of its style. I have a 031av and a 041av. So it would match the style. It's not something I would use all the time but one of those, let me go grab my saw cool factors. And occasionally at work we come across some big stuff. I notice alot of people on here one across fir. Is it hard or soft wood? We have lot of oak, hickory, ash where we are and some soft wood aswell.

Fir is a softwood. It changes when it matures at about 100 years and we called the younger red fir and the old yellow fir because it lost any red in the heartwood. It becomes very resilient to weather as well. I’ve actually seen old 100+ cabins roofed with it and still dry and third growth stumps nearly rotted away next to an old growth stump that would still have sound wood inside. I ran an 084 off and on but it required a steady stand of large old growth on decent ground ( not steep) to be profitable as they were gas pigs. I actually ran a 32” bar on one in a steady stand with an average of 32-36 dbh and it just didn’t pay which was I found odd but whatever worked the best won

Fir is a softwood. It changes when it matures at about 100 years and we called the younger red fir and the old yellow fir because it lost any red in the heartwood. It becomes very resilient to weather as well. I’ve actually seen old 100+ cabins roofed with it and still dry and third growth stumps nearly rotted away next to an old growth stump that would still have sound wood inside. I ran an 084 off and on but it required a steady stand of large old growth on decent ground ( not steep) to be profitable as they were gas pigs. I actually ran a 32” bar on one in a steady stand with an average of 32-36 dbh and it just didn’t pay which was I found odd but whatever worked the best won
Yeah I noticed the 056 sure like the gas too. I was in the process of tuning and it seemed like it went through it pretty fast. The second tank was better and the saw really came to life when I got it tuned. Of and when I get an 056, I will probably let run a 28" bar on it so it should do pretty good.

Reactions: Nealm66
Buying new saws kinda looses its fizz when they become a daily grind. I changed to husky from stihl after about 15 years and that was kinda cool for a while. Still have trouble with the model #’s on the huskies and refused to work on them other than normal maintenance lol. Joys of getting older and more financially stable.

Buying new saws kinda looses its fizz when they become a daily grind. I changed to husky from stihl after about 15 years and that was kinda cool for a while. Still have trouble with the model #’s on the huskies and refused to work on them other than normal maintenance lol. Joys of getting older and more financially stable.
At least Husky model numbers will loosely tell you the displacement of the saw. Stihl 056? What does that even mean 🤣 At least my 395xp makes some sense, 3 = third generation, 95 = rough displacement, and xp = as we all know pro saw. My 460 "rancher" is a fourth gen "landowner" 60 cc saw.

That’s funny. All the years I was in the woods and never knew that. And I don’t think anyone I worked with did either lol. The stihls just kind of went small to large #. The huskies, well, not so much. I have a mix of both brands now but don’t have to use them like I used to. Recently purchased a 365? Stihl and really happy with it so far. Use it for firewood and occasional chunking down a tree. Had a newer husky similar size and liked the power/weight but everything else drove me nuts. Well, hopefully you get to enjoy the 56. If I remember right, I think it balanced pretty well with a 32” but that could have been because it was mostly what I ran on one and was used to it. We all complained about the tensioner’s on the 66 not being in the same location as the 56 but just took some getting used to. Steep ground made everything difficult

I got away from stihl because the seemed to always take more pulls to get started. My ms441 was like that from new and I took it back to the dealer. They put a new carb on it and it didn't seem to make any difference. That was while it was never warranty. My ms 211 was the sam way. All the saws I have now all start within 4 to 5 pulls. My little 421 dolmar always start within 2 pulls. And my opinion, I think the husky, dolmar, jonsered and echo are easier to work on. That just might be me though. I still like the old school

The only think I don't like about Husky, and similar saws, is the inboard clutch. I also have one of the only inboard clutch Stihl saws with my little top handle MS 150

How do you guys think the 056 magnum 2 would do on an alaskan mill? I sawed a piece for a bench today with the jonsered 2172 and 24" bar and it did descent. The slab was about 18" wide.

How do you guys think the 056 magnum 2 would do on an alaskan mill? I sawed a piece for a bench today with the jonsered 2172 and 24" bar and it did descent. The slab was about 18" wide.
Go for it. Add an aux oiler if the OEM pump doesn't put out enough.

I think it would be ok. Maybe not fast but I’d think it would hold up ok. But only one way to know for sure. Funny, couldn’t give my used big bores away for the longest time. Now they hold decent value just for the mill seekers. Never noticed much of a difference as far as ease of starting other than when Im up in a tree I’ll have the ground man fire the bigger saws up an run for a minute because it’s really awkward and my forearms are usually toast by that time. I really have no preference for stihl or husky. There’s some crews that might have prejudice but it really comes down to the human behind them and the chains.

I agree, it won't be as fast as a new 661, 084, 088, 880, 881, 395xp, or 3120xp, but that's fine. It should be pretty durable and there aren't many saws that are much larger.

Well I have update on the 056 mag 2. I finally got a hold of the guy that had it and found out some more information on it. He took the coil off of it for another saw. It was the older sem style. So it would need a coil for sure or find a newer sem flywheel and a new sem coils which is $230 by itself. So the week of thinking and checking on stuff paid off in a way. I figure with the price of the saw, coil, flywheel(when found), misc parts,I would have close to $600 in it plus I would have to get a bar and chain. Not to mention I am going on what he said about the rest of the engine. And now he sold it. So it was probably for the good for me. Thank you everyone for the information everyone has Givin me. I guess I will in no hurry try to find another 90cc+ saw.

duramaxman05 Sometimes things work out for a reason. My wife is going to retire this summer so we have been doing some camper shopping and trying to decide between a fifth wheel or a motorhome. We currently have a one ton truck. We drove a dealer 100 miles away last Thursday and spend a half of a day looking at fifth wheels I think the wife was ready to buy just didn't feel right to me I am still leaning toward a motorhome. We ended up leaving and not buying we will just keep looking. The right deal is out there. This will be a cash deal so when it right it will be right. You will find the right saw for the right price.

Well it's a no go on the stihl 056 mag 2. Couldn't get the guy to get back with. So I said screw it. So, now, I have on the way a new husqvarna 395xp. Should be here this week.

I just got the powerhead right now. I have a 20" and 24" bar I can put on it. I am gonna get a reduced weight 32" bar for is some point in time. Not sure which to go with. It will likely keep the 32" on it all the time and only be used only when needed.

It has deceiving power, at least in my opinion. It was my first husky after 15 years of stihl. It’s just so smooth. We worked 6 hour days and mostly 066 and I could feel the difference in my hands at the end of the day when I switched to the 395. Was doing a lot of tree length on the coast at the time and I wouldn’t say it was any quicker than the modified 66 but was like cutting through butter. Balanced with a 32 better than the 66. Think it’s a little longer. Maybe heavier? I’m definitely not a saw expert. Ive wore a lot of them out though

I like my 395xp, but it has only performed two or three cross cuts in its whole life. I had to get my pinched 460 out of tree once, and I used it to shorten some 18" firewood to 16" and everything else has been on the mill. What are you using this beast for?

I like my 395xp, but it has only performed two or three cross cuts in its whole life. I had to get my pinched 460 out of tree once, and I used it to shorten some 18" firewood to 16" and everything else has been on the mill. What are you using this beast for?
Special occasions. Lol. Every once in a while I come across some big wood to cut and also I may get a alskan mill sometime.

Special occasions. Lol. Every once in a while I come across some big wood to cut and also I may get a alskan mill sometime.

I'm not going to lie, it was fun felling a 12" tree with the 395 wearing a 28" bar, and that was with a factory ground chain. With a sharp chain I bet it really is like a light saber. A really heavy one anyway.