Saw leaking bar lube

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I've had my saw for about 5 years now with no problems. I recently bought a diff brand of bar and chain lube. I switched from the stihl brand oil to this "laser" all season brand oil sold at the local "pro" shop. $10 cheaper. Since it was sold there I figured it was worthy. I ran a few tank fulls without issue but today I went to the garage and there was a wet spot on the ground under the oil cap area??? I inspected for cracks and such, none found. I haven't dropped my saw or given it any trauma.

Anyone else ever have this problem?? and why??

I wouldnt think its the oil, maybe just the way the cap was on.

I have no "why" but my 045 has done this for ever which I bought new.
My 028 super aslo does this and I bought that used.

My 028 does this as well, that is why I always keep it in the case when in the shop. My other 2 saws do not leak, I have had the new twist lock caps not seal correctly on my 361 - spilled gas all over my dad and my shop.

alll 3 poulans ive owned, my 55 rancher, 210, and 460 all leak. I just assumed all saws leak. All mine leak at the clutch side.

ckarotka said:
I've had my saw for about 5 years now with no problems. I recently bought a diff brand of bar and chain lube. I switched from the stihl brand oil to this "laser" all season brand oil sold at the local "pro" shop. $10 cheaper. Since it was sold there I figured it was worthy. I ran a few tank fulls without issue but today I went to the garage and there was a wet spot on the ground under the oil cap area??? I inspected for cracks and such, none found. I haven't dropped my saw or given it any trauma.

Anyone else ever have this problem?? and why??

I never really looked but is there any kind of gasket that could be worn?

zap

I'm gonna do a good cleaning today. Maybe some chips didn't allow it seal right. I just found it odd that it started to leak at the same time I switched oils.
I thought maybe it was because the new oil was thinner. I'm out of stihl oil so I can't compare right now.

ckarotka said:
I'm gonna do a good cleaning today. Maybe some chips didn't allow it seal right. I just found it odd that it started to leak at the same time I switched oils.
I thought maybe it was because the new oil was thinner. I'm out of stihl oil so I can't compare right now.

I run it all even used oil no leaking.

Did a good cleaning last night and found a wood chip on the gasket of the oil fill cap. I propped it up on an angle to increase the leak if there still was one.
I just checked it after it sat overnight...............No leak!! I'll have to be more careful in the future.

Charlie

ckarotka said:
Did a good cleaning last night and found a wood chip on the gasket of the oil fill cap. I propped it up on an angle to increase the leak if there still was one.
I just checked it after it sat overnight...............No leak!! I'll have to be more careful in the future.

Charlie

Glad it was just a wood chip.

zap

yes, glad it was just a wood chip.

saws should not leak oil

my 028 started leaking oil, and i replaced the gasket on the oil pump and it stopped.

also, i've had the gasket/o-ring on the oil cap get all buggered up as well.

finally, just because someone had mentioned it - I have a new stihl string trimmer (weed-eater) and I don't love those new caps at all. You always have to check and make sure they are on right - they take a while to get used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.