Sawing crooked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
daveswoodhauler said:
I was just jokin SmokinJ...we just wish we had your budget for play....I mean work saws :cheese:

lol the way I pay for it is through chain sharpening selling firewood and fixing saws and now milling! should have around 2500 board foot of walnut, ash hickory and poplar worth around 5000.00 and at least 25 cords of wood not all process yet but another 150-200.00 a cord so my budget is what I make it! "if you will"

smokinjay said:
daveswoodhauler said:
I was just jokin SmokinJ...we just wish we had your budget for play....I mean work saws :cheese:

lol the way I pay for it is through chain sharpening selling firewood and fixing saws and now milling! should have around 2500 board foot of walnut, ash hickory and poplar worth around 5000.00 and at least 25 cords of wood not all process yet but another 150-200.00 a cord so my budget is what I make it! "if you will"

Now all you have to do it take up cabinet making, and you'll be a one man manufacturing machine!

I hope the OP lets us know what the verdict was on the chain/bar.

daveswoodhauler said:
smokinjay said:
daveswoodhauler said:

Now all you have to do it take up cabinet making, and you'll be a one man manufacturing machine!

I hope the OP lets us know what the verdict was on the chain/bar.

My dad been cabinet making for over 55 years hes has already prepaid for the walnut, and all hes equiment is willed to me so some day that where the focus will be. (I grew up with a sanding block in my hand)

smokinjay said:
I grew up with a sanding block in my hand
Ja, well I was born in a log cabin that I built with my own hands. ;-P

LLigetfa said:
smokinjay said:
I grew up with a sanding block in my hand
Ja, well I was born in a log cabin that I built with my own hands. ;-P

Like to put some money on it? lol my dad 74 years old and the shop still going.....We had no choice to but work for him brother and I. Its just what you do when your father a cabinet maker. Oh and a broom handle was another core all in its own!

Wasn't doubting, just one-upping.

LLigetfa said:
Wasn't doubting, just one-upping.

Well I am doubting you! lol

Hi -

There's a lot of truth to what smokinJay said about BUDGET.

A bigger saw is not like a bigger enginge in a car. A big saw prettty much rips though all the work faster, much faster.

Sawwing crooked was almost always a chain issue, often starting after I hit metal or stone! Swap another chain on. I get one sharpened at a shop once in a while.

ATB,
Mike

smokinjay said:
LLigetfa said:
It is very simple to check the bar for trueness. I've been on jobs where supposed expert cutters took turns hand filing a chain to correct a crooked cut and in the end, I showed them all up by trueing the bar.

I'm not saying it IS the bar but before you waste a bunch of time filing off a lot of metal from the cutters, check the bar.

pro saw you a very correct, craftsman 42cc saw cutting crooked I would bet after looking at the chain he done well just to make it cut at all! lol and even still have the craftsman paint still on the bar.

I'll check the bar, I'm betting its good though since I had to replace it because the original one got torn apart when a dude who borrowed my saw got it hung up in a hinge cut and the tree came down and twisted right on the bar. Turned the bar into an "L" and the chain blew a couple links apart. The new bar has most of the wording worn off already and I assure you old bar had almost no paint left on it at all...mostly silver actually.

Bought a new chain and slapped it on there, won't have the chance to try it out till this weekend maybe. I'm guessing its likely my sharpening technique. When you guys say to file the right side a bit more, can you elaborate on that? Looking at the saw from the powerhead forward, the right side teeth cutting edge angles which way? I also may be filing WAY too much. I've been doing 5-6 swipes on each tooth, so I'm probably eating up alot of chain life too.

I'll get it...only way to learn it is by doing, right?

mayhem said:
smokinjay said:
LLigetfa said:
It is very simple to check the bar for trueness. I've been on jobs where supposed expert cutters took turns hand filing a chain to correct a crooked cut and in the end, I showed them all up by trueing the bar.

I'm not saying it IS the bar but before you waste a bunch of time filing off a lot of metal from the cutters, check the bar.

pro saw you a very correct, craftsman 42cc saw cutting crooked I would bet after looking at the chain he done well just to make it cut at all! lol and even still have the craftsman paint still on the bar.

I'll check the bar, I'm betting its good though since I had to replace it because the original one got torn apart when a dude who borrowed my saw got it hung up in a hinge cut and the tree came down and twisted right on the bar. Turned the bar into an "L" and the chain blew a couple links apart. The new bar has most of the wording worn off already and I assure you old bar had almost no paint left on it at all...mostly silver actually.

Bought a new chain and slapped it on there, won't have the chance to try it out till this weekend maybe. I'm guessing its likely my sharpening technique. When you guys say to file the right side a bit more, can you elaborate on that? Looking at the saw from the powerhead forward, the right side teeth cutting edge angles which way? I also may be filing WAY too much. I've been doing 5-6 swipes on each tooth, so I'm probably eating up alot of chain life too.

I'll get it...only way to learn it is by doing, right?

if its cutting to the left then the right side needs it and its cutting right the left side needs it..

Yeah, I got that...but which teeth are the right side and which are the left?

chainsaw_chain_large.gif

The front link in the above photo is a left or right side? I think its left, but I want to be sure I don't make my chains worse. The answer is not obvious to me and I don't have my saw in front of me.

mayhem said:

chainsaw_chain_large.gif

The front link in the above photo is a left or right side? I think its left, but I want to be sure I don't make my chains worse. The answer is not obvious to me and I don't have my saw in front of me.

the first tooth in the pic is right side 2nd tooth is left side

smokinjay said:
mayhem said:

chainsaw_chain_large.gif

the first tooth in the pic is right side 2nd tooth is left side
Only if you consider the back as first. To me the front is first which is on your right but the saw's left.

Who's on first? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.