SBI telescoping stove pipe issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MN~Nice

Jan 22, 2018
Minnesota
Got my 14”-22” telescoping stove pipe today. Ordered direct from SBI. First thing I noticed is there are 2 pieces with no configuration instructions? Ok, not a big deal looked at the picture online and put it together. Problem is that once it’s put together it’s pretty much stuck and won’t slide? Ok, not a big deal either, put one end in the vice and pulled the other half with vice grips and poof it slid apart. Problem is now it’s scratched to s**t and not pretty by any means.

Immediately I noticed that on the female end around the rim it’s very course and full of burrs. Again not a problem, took the Sander to it and cleaned it up. It works ok now but it’s not a nice clean pipe anymore. Anyone else have this issue? Will SBI remedy this issue? I mean I paid $25USD and $18 for shipping, I expected an out of the box ready to go product.

They don’t always slip perfectly. The trim piece goes on the slip and stays up high until you get the pipe connected,plum,level.. then the trim slide down to fill the void between the pipes. They often need a little tweaking and touch up paint. It’s the nicest single wall pipe I’ve ever used or seen. We rarely ever get away from a job without doing a little paint touch up on the pipe.

Get a $4 can of high temp paint, paint it, put it back on, and forget about it. Don't sweat this kind of small stuff. Not worth your time or effort.

Got my 14”-22” telescoping stove pipe today. Ordered direct from SBI. First thing I noticed is there are 2 pieces with no configuration instructions? Ok, not a big deal looked at the picture online and put it together. Problem is that once it’s put together it’s pretty much stuck and won’t slide? Ok, not a big deal either, put one end in the vice and pulled the other half with vice grips and poof it slid apart. Problem is now it’s scratched to s**t and not pretty by any means.

Immediately I noticed that on the female end around the rim it’s very course and full of burrs. Again not a problem, took the Sander to it and cleaned it up. It works ok now but it’s not a nice clean pipe anymore. Anyone else have this issue? Will SBI remedy this issue? I mean I paid $25USD and $18 for shipping, I expected an out of the box ready to go product.

It is somewhat normal to slightly scratch the female end of the pipe on telescoping lenghts. Although, I think you should contact SBI at least to advise them of the problem they may have seen this before and have a solution for you. Send picture of the scrathches to [email protected], if anything can be done about it, they will take care of it.

I have 3 wood stoves, each with a telescoping section of Selkirk pipe. The worst part of sweeping is often getting those telescoping sections pulled back out after collapsing. I don't have a secret method other than hassling with it for a while.

Reactions: Tar12
Yeah I took my selkirk double wall telescoping pipe off once to clean, that was it. It was two man job to get it to telescope back out after the ash/dust got onto it...Never taking it that thing off again until it needs replacing.

i had to set my telescoping pipe up with vice grips, cam straps, and run it between some 4x4 posts to mull mine apart.

I have had the SBI telescope for 5 years and finally this year was able to get it to budge upward. It slides freely now with little effort. Not sure what happened to loosen it up but I am grateful!

Keep in mind that these slips don’t move well if the pipe is dirty. Once brushed throughly they move better. I take them outside and run a rotary broom through them individually, then they slip easily again.

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer