Scandanavian Stoves.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Morso.

Dec 17, 2018
UK
Hi

thanks for allowing me on the Forum.

Hi everybody, I'm British but spend a most of my time in the winter in Denmark buying secondhand woodburners which I refurbish & take back to the UK to resell.

I started in the UK but found the superior stoves to be readily available in Denmark.

I'm thinking of moving into the US market & was wondering what was desirable, valuable & basically worth shipping to the US?

I have access to all stoves, from antique to modern. Mostly Morso but also Scan, Rais, Hwam all the Danish stove manufacturers. Also Contura & Jotul are available.

Any advice, questions etc would be greatly welcomed & appreciated.

Again thanks for allowing me to post here & look forward to any feedback I might get.

Hi

Hi everybody, I'm British but spend a most of my time in the winter in Denmark buying secondhand woodburners which I refurbish & take back to the UK to resell.

I started in the UK but found the superior stoves to be readily available in Denmark.

I'm thinking of moving into the US market & was wondering what was desirable, valuable & basically worth shipping to the US?

I have access to all stoves, from antique to modern. Mostly Morso but also Scan, Rais, Hwam all the Danish stove manufacturers. Also Contura & Jotul are available.

Again thanks for allowing me to post here & look forward to any feedback I might get.
I will allow this post but be aware you can't use this site to advertize. This isn't quite that but it's close.

Hi

wasn't trying to advertise. And if it appears that way well I apologise. Was just looking for good ole advice.

Hi

wasn't trying to advertise. And if it appears that way well I apologise. Was just looking for good ole advice.
And that's fine. No problem

I expect its a niche market. Many insurance companies in the US require a listed stove so if the units are old enough not to have a rating plate then fewer folks will want them. I dont know if there is particular market for old European woodstoves (although I must admit I have a couple of Jotuls in storage). Unless you are getting them for scrap price, by the time you refurb the unit and ship it, I dont know how much margin you have. Generally if folks have to pay much over $1,000 they are going to buy a new EPA stove rather than a refurb. On occasion I see a few private dealers who do refurb old Jotuls and they tend to be on the market for quite awhile. Note some areas of the US require EPA rated stoves and dont allow the installation of ued non rated stoves.

The exception might be wood cookstoves, there really are not a lot of small cookstoves on the market in the US except for utilitarian beasts that dont fit in an average house. Cookstoves are EPA exempt. There are some imports, like Esse but they tend to very pricey. Small stoves like my Jotul 404 will fit in a cabin or smaller house. I dont know the depth of the market but I ran into someone who picks up 404s, cleans them up and resells them to interior decorators for the Boston market.

A general comment is how is your general familiarity with the US? Maybe you have visited but the scale of the country is lot bigger so the logistics of running a business selling heavy bulky objects is more difficult.Over the years I frequently have found great stoves located beyond driving distance but the logistics of getting them shipped means I dont buy them as the seller is unwilling to package them and get them shipped which can cost a minimum of $300. Inevitably to service a large market, the stoves would need to be trucked by freight and that means packaging them on a pallet so they dont get damaged and having the customer have the capability to receive pallet shipments (few do). Ideally you would import to central location and then ship to dealers but then you need to give them their cut.

Reactions: Mr Morso.
Thanks for your informative & thought provoking comments.

I appreciate that the US is geographically large. Interesting that you brought up the subject of cooking stoves. I do occasionally come across Morso cooking stoves. Have uploaded image so your opinion would be much appreciated. I have access to EPA approved stoves so that is not a deal breaker & I'm not to fussed about giving a few crumbs to dealers.

Again thanks for your informative post & look forward to your response.

Attachments

• 38029614_10156661303467728_8503916249716097024_n.jpg
    38029614_10156661303467728_8503916249716097024_n.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 246
Reactions: SpaceBus
There might be a small niche market in stoves for decorative purposes only, but PeakBagger's comments would still apply. As far as working cookstoves go, I suspect Aga pretty much gets all the business from people who want that look.

Also, getting goods through Customs is slow going without an expediter on site. Shipping by boat would be economical but slow, shipping by air, fast but very expensive. Do you have any contacts among antiques dealers in New York and Los Angeles? I imagine they'd be the only people who'd be willing to pay the prices you'd have to charge (and they might already have a relationship with an expediter, to take that headache off your hands).

Reactions: Mr Morso.
Thanks for your input CY!

There is a million zillion Aga stoves readily available in the UK but you have my attention. What do people in the US generally go for? Gas, wood, oil more curious then anything.

I've looked at import duty into the US for new stove related products but would be interested in used prices. I've requested this information before from US customs but never received a reply.

I appreciate that this is no simple task & if I was to load a container with stove related articles, I guess like most people I would be interested in the most lucrative.

Again thanks for your response.

I would imagine that anyone buying an Aga would probably choose gas or electric, whichever would make Cook happier. (Remember Saki's line? "She was a good cook, as cooks go; and as cooks go, she went.")

I'm not up on U.S. import law, so I have no idea what the duty would be, except that it would probably be based on the valuation of the item--which would be whatever you charged the buyer, in most cases. There might be a rate for antiques, I just don't know. Have you spoken to the consulate in London? The consul's office is much more likely to respond helpfully than Customs bureau heaquarters in the U.S.

I think you will find the cost of shipping prohibitive unless shipping a container full of stoves and warehousing them in the US. There is not a big market for one off items due to this.

Thanks for your informative & thought provoking comments.

I appreciate that the US is geographically large. Interesting that you brought up the subject of cooking stoves. I do occasionally come across Morso cooking stoves. Have uploaded image so your opinion would be much appreciated. I have access to EPA approved stoves so that is not a deal breaker & I'm not to fussed about giving a few crumbs to dealers.

Again thanks for your informative post & look forward to your response.
Are the stoves also ul listed. If not none of their stated clearances are valid here. And no dealers should touch them.

Hi

Hello, I am also new to this forum. It has been extremely helpful.

I felt inclined to give my two cents to Mr.Morso.

First I will tell you that Scandinavian imports are a growing niche in the states.

Secondly, small or tiny wood stoves is a hugely growing market. The kind you would find in a sail boat or a tiny house on wheels.
I’v seen them installed in school bus homes and even an airstream travel trailer. So I would be looking for the smallest of stoves for that trending market. And they would be cheaper to crate and ship. A lot of folks are building tiny or small houses, and they may be looking for something that sets there’s apart from the rest of the pack.

Cheers
Skål

Hello, I am also new to this forum. It has been extremely helpful.

I felt inclined to give my two cents to Mr.Morso.

First I will tell you that Scandinavian imports are a growing niche in the states.

Secondly, small or tiny wood stoves is a hugely growing market. The kind you would find in a sail boat or a tiny house on wheels.
I’v seen them installed in school bus homes and even an airstream travel trailer. So I would be looking for the smallest of stoves for that trending market. And they would be cheaper to crate and ship. A lot of folks are building tiny or small houses, and they may be looking for something that sets there’s apart from the rest of the pack.

Cheers
Skål
Good point, though one needs to keep in mind that there is also an increasing amount of stoves built in North America to satisfy this market.

Good point, though one needs to keep in mind that there is also an increasing amount of stoves built in North America to satisfy this market.

Yes It is growing... still a little variety never hurts.. I’m not going to mention any brand names, but I question how many are actually 100% made in America or UK.

Some are made in Canada and some overseas.

Yes It is growing... still a little variety never hurts.. I’m not going to mention any brand names, but I question how many are actually 100% made in America or UK.
Most stoves sold here are made in the USA and or Canada. Not many from the UK. A few Scandinavian. And a few imports from Asia. But not many of them ironically the biggest company selling Chinese stoves is us stove company.

Most stoves sold here are made in the USA and or Canada. Not many from the UK. A few Scandinavian. And a few imports from Asia. But not many of them ironically the biggest company selling Chinese stoves is us stove company.

I was thinking of the Hobbit Stove by Salamander Stoves, UK. The parts are forged in China.

Wow, that's really neat! I wish I knew about these stoves when I was living in my RV! Propane gets expensive...

Yeah.. they are pretty cool. I was planning on building a tiny house in 2013 when I ordered mine.
I ended up buying a 1150sq foot rancher on a wooded lot instead. The living room is probably about 400 feet squared. I’ve had two different fireplace guys out here.. both told me not to install this stove through my fireplace because it wouldn’t be worth it. Not enough heat. Not a long enough burn time, and they wanted me to buy an insert off of them.. I realize this stove won’t burn through the night or an 8-10 hour work day and I’m okay with that. I just want some supplemental heat to save oil and electricity.
The original 1950 Heatilator is a beast that eats a ton of wood. I stoped using it all together. Hate wasting all this wood. So I have this little epa certified 74% efficient stove.. It’s going in as soon as can buy a liner kit and all the parts.
Tim

Reactions: SpaceBus
This is posted in the main forum. Now back to the original thread, or are we done here?

Status
Not open for further replies.