Scared about getting pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Danreg99

Sep 21, 2022
North Dakota
Hey guys, been a long time lurker 1st time poster. We are looking at the PP130 PelPro stove and were going to direct vent out the side
under a large porch. I was confident in the install until seeing a lot of people having soot problems inside and out (more worried about inside soot).
We will have the rise inside then horizonal out (over 18"). I have attached diagram of what we were gonna do. I also have attached a pic of our house
when it was being built and where they pipe would approx come out (dont have recent pic). Let me know if you guys think it will be an issue.

pipe.jpg House2.jpg

First do not vent under the porch you will have to go past the outside edge
I have used a pellet stove for 22 years starting my 23rd season have never had a soot
problem . If it is installed right and all pipes sealed you are good to go
Think I'd go straight up and vent out the roof if the stove is on the first floor.
I presume the pillars are for the porch support. You should not vent under the porch floor
I know my insurance company would not like it Fire hazard. Welcome to the Forum
From the manual
WARNING! Do not terminate venting in any enclosed or semi-enclosed area such as: a carport, garage, attic, crawl space, under a sun deck or porch, narrow walkway or closely fenced area, or any location that can build up a concentration of fumes such as a stairwell, covered breezeway, etc. CAUTION! Ensure that your Stove venting terminates above your Stove. The following may occur: • Your Stove will not draft properly • Smoke may seep in your house • Excessive sooting

Reactions: EbS-P
First do not vent under the porch you will have to go past the outside edge
I have used a pellet stove for 22 years starting my 23rd season have never had a soot
problem . If it is installed right and all pipes sealed you are good to go
Think I'd go straight up and vent out the roof if the stove is on the first floor.
I presume the pillars are for the porch support. You should not vent under the porch floor
I know my insurance company would not like it Fire hazard. Welcome to the Forum
From the manual
WARNING! Do not terminate venting in any enclosed or semi-enclosed area such as: a carport, garage, attic, crawl space, under a sun deck or porch, narrow walkway or closely fenced area, or any location that can build up a concentration of fumes such as a stairwell, covered breezeway, etc. CAUTION! Ensure that your Stove venting terminates above your Stove. The following may occur: • Your Stove will not draft properly • Smoke may seep in your house • Excessive sooting
Thanks for the reply John. I'm a bit hesitant about cutting a hole in my roof but may have to. Is it possible to go horizontal and go all the way to the edge of the roof?

Yes, but roof penetrations are not a risky business when done right. Millions of non leaking ones made every year...

Reactions: Cory S
Will your stove be installed in the corner? If so could you come out the other wall of the house? And lower of course.

Yes, but roof penetrations are not a risky business when done right. Millions of non leaking ones made every year...
Any good sources on the best way to go through the roof? I was thinking of coming out horizontal and then vertical so I don't have to punch through the roof of the living quarters.

You can go horizontal and up, but any chimney system that goes through the roof has to have a proper ceiling support box if it is the first "go through" from the room (stove pipe) to class A chimney outside.

If there is an attic, that support box is between the room and attic, where class A will go, and go through the roof.

Standard flashing and boots are used on the roof.

Chimneys should be build using components of one mfg only, and they will have instructions with their components on how to do this properly.

It will be in the corner but will run into the same problem with the wrap around deck.
Are you going to have a roof over the side deck too? I was thinking you would avoid the large roof extension by going out the side.

Hey guys, been a long time lurker 1st time poster. We are looking at the PP130 PelPro stove and were going to direct vent out the side
under a large porch. I was confident in the install until seeing a lot of people having soot problems inside and out (more worried about inside soot).
We will have the rise inside then horizonal out (over 18"). I have attached diagram of what we were gonna do. I also have attached a pic of our house
when it was being built and where they pipe would approx come out (dont have recent pic). Let me know if you guys think it will be an issue.

View attachment 299244 View attachment 299245
Inside corner install.

IMG_1841.JPG

You can go horizontal and up, but any chimney system that goes through the roof has to have a proper ceiling support box if it is the first "go through" from the room (stove pipe) to class A chimney outside.

If there is an attic, that support box is between the room and attic, where class A will go, and go through the roof.

Standard flashing and boots are used on the roof.

Chimneys should be build using components of one mfg only, and they will have instructions with their components on how to do this properly.
This is what I would want to do, just have to get the right components from Duravent. I would have to go from 3 to 4 due to length i assume.

house vent.jpg

Reactions: stoveliker
okay. Basically what I'm saying is that buying the proper components from a reputable mfg such as Duravent, and installing them correctly, should not result in any issues. Otherwise this website would be flooded with leaking chimney penetrations. And I frankly can't remember seeing that here the last few years (unless in a dilapidated, wrongly installed system someone got when buying a home).

I.e. no reason to worry. Spend that energy on other things in building this nice place!

okay. Basically what I'm saying is that buying the proper components from a reputable mfg such as Duravent, and installing them correctly, should not result in any issues. Otherwise this website would be flooded with leaking chimney penetrations. And I frankly can't remember seeing that here the last few years (unless in a dilapidated, wrongly installed system someone got when buying a home).

I.e. no reason to worry. Spend that energy on other things in building this nice place!

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I am in contact with them on exactly what I would need for this install.

Reactions: stoveliker

Here is a picture of the finished house. I am trying to figure out a way to do this. A few questions. Does my chimney have to go above ridge? The stove only says 12" above roof. There is a ridge vent that im worries about. Do I need a ceiling box even thought its not going through attic? Any help is greatly appreciated

20220923_183308.jpg 20220923_183236.jpg

I am not a chimney expert, and have zero pellet stove experience. However I believe the 2-3-10 rule holds as well here, meaning the cap needs to be at least 3 ft above the roof penetration, and 2 ft higher than anything within 10 ft.

Also, if you are below the ridge, downdrafts may happen due to wind curving down after coming over the ridge. While a pellet stove has forced airflow (fans) I think you still would want to avoid downdrafts. But maybe I'm wrong in this.

I'm not sure about the ceiling box if the pipe is going thru the eves; it's class A and keeping clearances from the combustible roof materials may be enough.

Ceiling boxes are meant to accommodate the transition from stove pipe to class A (and keep clearances, and support the heavy class A so it doesn't mean on the stove pipe and stove).

Sorry for the uncertainty; as I said I'm not the expert.

@bholler?

But I should congratulate you on the amazingly beautiful home!

Thanks Stoveliker! I may be screwed on the placement of this pellet stove. That would be a very tall chimney. We do have a wood burning fireplace that we could convert into a pellet insert. That may be are only option. Does a pellet insert sound like a good idea?

I have no experience with pellet inserts (either). The good thing is the fan will have to run regardless of what the fuel is.

I don't know how pellet inserts are comparing to stoves.

Others should chime in...

I recommend, before cutting any holes, talk to people that do this for a living, use inspectipedia on the web,etc. You most certainly can vent a pellet stove under that wide open porch, just the same as you could a direct vent gas heater. The only issue would be "ground" protection, as the deck is wood, you would need a bit of non flammable base put down, unless your vent is high enough. Look in any Harman manual online, they have real good diagrams about such. Soot is almost never a problem, unless the stove is not functioning properly, as happens with cheaper stoves, OR, a possibility in your case, if that porch faces in the direction of the prevailing wind, in heating season. That would be the only reason I would not vent there, because if the wind blows straight into that porch, you will even get smells in house every time door is opened.
My big question, why build a nice log cabin/house, then go with a bottom of the line farm store pellet stove?
Anyway, do more research!

You most certainly can vent a pellet stove under that wide open porch,
Mt Bob the above is from the manual of the stove he wants to buy
If he were to run the vent beyond the deck then that would be OK

I think "under the porch" is under the roof but above the deck - hence the "ground protection" (non combustible floor protector).

Indeed, under the deck is something that is not safe. Best to be able to see the exhaust.

Mt Bob the above is from the manual of the stove he wants to buy
If he were to run the vent beyond the deck then that would be OK
Just a roof is not semi-enclosed, it is just an extended eave. Perhaps i is different up your way. But is why I recommended he get more info.

I think "under the porch" is under the roof but above the deck - hence the "ground protection" (non combustible floor protector).

Indeed, under the deck is something that is not safe. Best to be able to see the exhaust.
Yes,I think there is a bit of misinfo or misunderstanding here. I see no basement, so he would be coming out underneath the extended eave,or porch roof. However, he could never enclose it, even with screen or shades.