Scenic picture thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It has been a while since I have been on this forum. And I miss it. Badly.

You all seem to love in beautiful places. Truly beautiful.

Here are some more pictures of my current location. The one with the sun is the first sunrise of 2017. For approximately a month we would have a 3 hour window of light in the sky, like a 3 hour sunrise that never rose. The one of the ice fog is when the temperature hit -42 C. By the way, nothing likes -42. Not a truck, not a human and not utility bills.

Glad to be back.

Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_20170117_125309812_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170117_125309812_HDR.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_20170118_111455226.jpg
    IMG_20170118_111455226.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_1100_01.jpg
    IMG_1100_01.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 342
Reactions: webfish
The one of the ice fog is when the temperature hit -42 C. By the way, nothing likes -42. Not a truck, not a human and not utility bills.
You forgot water lines:eek: Had ours freeze a few years ago when we had two weeks straight of -40/-50C temps. Kids at home at Christmas/New Years and had a great time throwing boiling water at their Dad ... instantly turned to ice! (disclaimer... they tried it out before throwing it at Dad and he volunteered!)

Glad to hear you and the family are settling in OK. CBC had interesting news item from your region ... a throat singer, a sealskin jacket and a Facebook ban. http://www.citynews.ca/2017/02/02/inuk-singer-says-facebook-suspended-account-seal-fur-photo/ shows the photo of the jacket ... beautiful! Folks that don't live in those extreme temps don't understand that furs and sealskin provide one of the best protections against wind and cold. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/nunavut-seamstress-96-years-old-qaapik-attagutsiak-1.3935693 Get those mukluks yet?;)

From my ride yesterday . . . wind turbines in Freedom, Maine.

Attachments

• DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 344
Well, for us old house nuts, sometimes views of the house beat views from the house. Three of these houses, my current abode being the sole exception, have played roles of national importance. Bragging rights to anyone who can ID them, and their role in our national history.

Keith_House,_Upper_Makefield_PA.JPG

0606-D90.jpg

ld1075644-m0m.jpg

exterior snow.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: firefighterjake
Good research. The Thompson house was more notably known as Decision House.

The third is a farm that was once recognized as the oldest Heritage Farm in the country. The fourth is just another old house, of no real national importance, other than extreme testing of two Ashfords 30's. [emoji14]

All a matter of perspective, I guess. In my opinion, free time exists to work on these old houses. What do normal folks do to fill their Saturday, when they live in a modern low-maintenance vinyl McMansion? :p

All homes need maintenance ... some more than others. Ashful's hobby seems to be an old house; sportbikerider likely spends time fixing up and maintaining his ride:)

A completely different view to warm up your day. Santa Monica.

2017-02-16-16.33.32web.jpg

Palouse Falls in eastern WA last week. Look closely and see if you can spot the photographer. (Hint he is tiny in this picture)

View attachment 193018
Not too many places he could be! Been to Palouse Falls many times when we lived at Richland, but not in winter. Being a bit of a geology buff, I enjoyed studying the geology of that area. Very interesting. Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach (and others) was "floated" all the way down over 300 miles with one of the Missoula Floods that also formed those falls, to illustrate the power of those events.

Nice pic.

Rode my bicycle in Flushing Meadows Park a few weeks ago, right before the tennis open. The park was built by Robert Moses on top of an ash landfill to host the 1939/40 World's Fair.

The very famous Unisphere made by US Steel Corp. The best argument for companies sponsoring art - companies may become diminished or forgotten, but art can endure much longer and serve as a reminder of what great a company was.

park 3.jpg

park 4.jpg

park 8.jpg

This is the Rocket Thrower
park 5.jpg

Twilight shots of the Pool of Industry looking out to the tennis stadium
park 6.jpg

park 7.jpg

And the pavilion
park 2.jpg

park 1.jpg

Up in the mountains a week ago. This route will be closed in another month or two.

20170916_090044_001web.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: vinny11950
I call this one "the butt tree"
hSjTnBiGK0C2Zhf63EdD4VulDGzpDQOmtjgRGJ_TqDO2TfZKl7OfGzs340Wr0_JBEaC9wYB6OtnxIGE2m5g=w530-h706-no.jpg
wvuhLAFPqDDw1aCXj1iROAlpS-YzPAlp-Uoi2BkSIR4PnHCkESD8GhKuiH-_7vEkV_SlUwWNLAgTEUf8tQk=w530-h706-no.jpg

begreen gorgeous that could be a post card. having a good time wish you were here

begreen gorgeous that could be a post card. having a good time wish you were here
WE are fortunate to have this is our relative backyard. Here is some early fall color in a shot from a friend that just went hiking up there.
22104589_10210416990160305_3140209259837049179_o.jpg

Last edited:
Where is @lakegirl?

Sunrise in our backyard a couple days ago. And this is just part of it. The whole sky was afire.

sunrise.jpg