Scenic picture thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigFir

Burning Hunk
Sep 22, 2015
Kamloops BC
Hey all, lets see some pics of the areas where we all live. I like to see the extreme difference in our climates around North America and beyond.

I'll start.
View from backyard.
001.jpg
The southern interior of BC is semi-arid desert in a lot of areas of the valley bottoms. Climates change dramatically with elevation.
577.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
430.JPG Grace 010.jpg Grace 021.jpg

Reactions: excessads
That rainbow is an awesome shot!

i don't have a view even close to what you all put up these are some really nice shots. some look like post cards. beautiful keep em coming so i can dream.

Climates change dramatically with elevation.
Went through Yellowstone this summer (July 10th) and noted the change in temperature from the valley to the top of Beartooth Pass at elevation 10,947. Surrounding peaks are around 12,000. The shorts and sweatshirt were just not enough with the wind. Noticed the snow blowers & plows on the side of the highway going up but figured that was the way they stored them ... wrong. The pass was closed the next day due to snow!!! Highway is generally closed October to April!

That rainbow is an awesome shot!
Very distinctive bands of colour on that one. It was actually a double rainbow but the second one was pretty faint.

Sweet. I'd love to have a lake cabin.

Sweet. I'd love to have a lake cabin.

Or river, maybe??? That is backwaters of the mighty Mississippi (in my pics). That view goes for 27 miles before I need to lock through.

Early into our marriage, Hubby and I could have bought his parent's place on Rainy Lake ... about an hour car & boat ride from where we lived. While lots of good memories were there, we had been trying to look after it when extended family required assistance sending his parents to TO. Very difficult to look after our house and the lake cabin. We chose to have one house, at the lake, but with a longer commute for work. Commute proved to be good thinking time ... Unfortunately, circumstances have changed and, instead of having one property, we have three. Condo in Winnipeg for kids for university and corner lot that was owned by a nephew. It was a good plan while it lasted;lol

IMG_2861.JPG IMG_3669.JPG
Dunnville Ontario check in here!

Reactions: BigFir
Ha! Somebody else here is crazy enough to sit out on a frozen lake! I'm counting down the time until freeze up!

Ha! Somebody else here is crazy enough to sit out on a frozen lake! I'm counting down the time until freeze up!
Ya man I love ice fishing!!! Can't wait last year was barely any ice here. Year before I got to go a ton. Hope this yr is good I'm prepared I have allot of wood and a new furnace in so bring on he cold.

Attachments

• IMG_2859.JPG
    IMG_2859.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 187
Last weekend I pulled down my tip ups and jigging rods. Its cooling down nicely this year, so far. I'm hoping to get out by late december.

Reactions: jb6l6gc
Dunnville Ontario check in here!
Former Lowbanks gal here (Haldimand-Norfolk line on the lake to be exact). Occasional scene of misspent youth was the Queens.;lol Future Hubby crewed out of Port Maitland for the gas rigs.

Not so much a fan of the frozen lake, preferred sailing and waterskiing or just making the boat "dance" on the waves. Brother had a Glasspar G3 (14') with 125 Johnson ... and yes, she could dance! Black and gold w/gold metal flake and she was a beauty...

Reactions: jb6l6gc
Great pics so far!

Mt Rainier:
P1000356.JPG

Tulip farm near us:

Apr24Cinebar2013c - Copy.jpg

Don't shoot - This is my orchard...

buck.jpg

Christmas tree farm across the road:

Dec18Cinebar2012 01.jpg

Long Beach Peninsula when we lived there for a couple of years:

sunset9.JPG

Long Beach - a makeshift fort made of driftwood over a few years:

beach13.JPG

Me at the helm of a USCG 47' Lifeboat when we lived near the Columbia River bar at Ilwaco, WA for a while. I was a volunteer (Auxiliary) with the CG at the time. The Bar can be both beautiful and treacherous at the same time (called the "graveyard of the Pacific" sometimes). Did a lot of rescue work. A helo in the background approaching.

helo1.jpg

155.JPG property-16 007.JPG 020.JPG
Three shots looking away from the house in lil' Rolling Prarie, In.
Being in the glacial cutouts close to Lake Michigan the roads out here are all roller coasters.
Behind the winter pic in the woods is a 40-50ft vertical dropoff with a dry riverbed at the base.
The other 96% of the state is dead flat. LOL The northern and southern counties in the state have postcard views.

Reactions: drz1050
Our lake house view. My home away from home and my favorite place to be. This has been in the family for 3 generations..as well as the house next to ours.
I can still see my grandfather smoking and having a drink on dock, even though he has passed for 20 years.

20160911_163101.jpg 20160703_210720.jpg 20140630_205712.jpg 019.JPG 20141012_090831.jpg 20150502_082349.jpg

Looks like one of the Finger Lakes. Big Sis spends a lot of time on Keuka ... where she met her Hubby at a Y camp. Sail boat still moored on the lake:)