Scirocco 30.1 clog?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gotrek

Burning Hunk
Nov 20, 2014
Manitoba
So last week or so I’ve noticed when I close the bypass on my stove to engage the cat the roaring flames immediately go out.

I don’t remember it doing this before unless I turned the thermostat down. Cat stays engaged though and my burn times seem about the same

Since we burn 24/7 I took advantage of the sudden warm spell to let the stove shut down to look things over. I cleaned the chimney and cap and then made sure the combuster was not clogged on both sides by brushing vacuuming it. Seems ok.

I’m burning the same wood as before, moisture content is under 20%. Anyone else’s stove do this? If I open the bypass I can see the coals glow immediately as the air rushes in and the fire quickly goes back to inferno mode.

Is my thermostat maybe sticking? How do I check it? The knob and rod turn and I do hear it clang shut if I turn it down more then halfway but not sure it’s opening fully

Picture is stove after closing bypass after 20-40mins still on highest setting stove temp is maybe the first little notch above inactive. It’s very possible it’s cat replacement time we’ve had the stove 4-5 years and burn 24/7 for 8-9 of the 12 months. That has to be over the 10year life expectancy of a cat lol

image.jpg

Last edited:
turn t stat control up to max should get flames in fire box

So last week or so I’ve noticed when I close the bypass on my stove to engage the cat the roaring flames immediately go out.

I don’t remember it doing this before unless I turned the thermostat down. Cat stays engaged though and my burn times seem about the same

Since we burn 24/7 I took advantage of the sudden warm spell to let the stove shut down to look things over. I cleaned the chimney and cap and then made sure the combuster was not clogged on both sides by brushing vacuuming it. Seems ok.

I’m burning the same wood as before, moisture content is under 20%. Anyone else’s stove do this? If I open the bypass I can see the coals glow immediately as the air rushes in and the fire quickly goes back to inferno mode.

Is my thermostat maybe sticking? How do I check it? The knob and rod turn and I do hear it clang shut if I turn it down more then halfway but not sure it’s opening fully

Picture is stove after closing bypass after 20-40mins still on highest setting stove temp is maybe the first little notch above inactive. It’s very possible it’s cat replacement time we’ve had the stove 4-5 years and burn 24/7 for 8-9 of the 12 months. That has to be over the 10year life expectancy of a cat lol

View attachment 289716
Sure sounds like a plugged cat? You said you cleaned it though after brushing chimney correct?

Reactions: panderson03

View attachment 289716
I notice only a very slight change in flame activity by closing the bypass. Mostly, the flames flow forward more towards the cat instead of a short cut up the bypass.

I suspect that your cat is clogged. Those 30 box stoves shipped with the really fine mesh steel cats that are going to be hard to unclog if the vacuum and soft bristle brush didn't do it. Next step is to blow air through the cells and the recommended safe way is with a can of air made for keyboard cleaning. It can also be done with low pressure shop air and I've had no problems blowing shop air at 20 psi through the cells.

If you really burn as much as you say you do then we are the same. About 4 cords per year 8-9 month season so you are way over due for a new cat so any effort on cleaning this one may be wasted. I only get two full burn seasons out of a new ceramic cat. That's almost 13000 hours but honestly, during shoulder seasons there are some warmer days that I might not get 24 hour cycles. 10k-12k hours is the expected lifetime of a cat.

One symptom I've noticed of a dead cat is that it accumulates debris much faster which may explain your cloggage.

Just pop a new one in. Super easy and you're back to 100%.

View attachment 289716
My cat tends to get clogged with fly ash. What you're describing sounds like what I see when I know it's time to let the stove go cold and clean the fly ash off.

Reactions: panderson03
I’m going to order a new cat for sure and swap it out. I looked through it with a mirror and flashlight and it seems open. But probably done.

I’ll also check the thermostat make sure it’s not stuck or anything when I work on the stove. To me that seems to be more likely the fire goes right out immediately when I close the bypass. There’s secondary flames from the hot side for a minute but then just dead/coals even when set at the highest

The Tstat should be supplying air regardless of whether the bypass is open or closed. The immediate die down does not suggest it's the thermostat, imo. The thermostat can't even do anything "immediate", or within a minute.

Reactions: Highbeam
If you have a air compressor low the output to 15psi and take the flame shroud off, blow out the cat, dont go past 15psi though, the metal wash coating is sensitive.

If you have a air compressor low the output to 15psi and take the flame shroud off, blow out the cat, dont go past 15psi though, the metal wash coating is sensitive.
Ok I’ll try that I’m letting the stove cool off right now. I took the tstat cover off. Seems to move with the knob and open and close. I have it set where it’s closed right now too see if it opens up as the stove cools (just between2 and 3o’clock on the swoosh)

7EC6CC02-32CD-433B-80F6-90172A83C54C.jpeg 3C0F2CFB-6DBC-46A1-8A64-1967C4556B1F.jpeg image.jpg

Last edited:
I’m going to order a new cat for sure and swap it out. I looked through it with a mirror and flashlight and it seems open. But probably done.

I’ll also check the thermostat make sure it’s not stuck or anything when I work on the stove. To me that seems to be more likely the fire goes right out immediately when I close the bypass. There’s secondary flames from the hot side for a minute but then just dead/coals even when set at the highest
You can order a new cat from Jesse E. at Flame and Comfort in Winnipeg. That's who I go through to get my stove stuff - Flame and Comfort are a BK dealer in the city, so they know what to get. I've had good service from them.

Reactions: Gotrek
Thermostat seems fine so I compressed air the cat as suggested and that made a big improvement still not 100%. But maybe a few hot burns will get it even better. New cat on its way regardless.

This is 20mins after closing bypass, still in fuego! (Sorry bad picture to lazy to get off the toasty couch so used the zoom. :). ). Edit: turned down the thermostat and still have flames. Workinggood thanks everyone!

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: stoveliker