Scirocco 30 has the smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MtSiBK

Jan 4, 2021
North Bend
My scirocco 30 has out of nowhere just started having a smoky smell. It’s on the 2nd year but it’s going September/October thru May/June 24 hours a day as it’s the only heat we have. I checked the door tension and it’s tight everywhere but by the latch and that’s still real snug. Where is the best place to order a new door gasket and place the seam? Great stove and I would definitely buy it again.

My scirocco 30 has out of nowhere just started having a smoky smell. It’s on the 2nd year but it’s going September/October thru May/June 24 hours a day as it’s the only heat we have. I checked the door tension and it’s tight everywhere but by the latch and that’s still real snug. Where is the best place to order a new door gasket and place the seam? Great stove and I would definitely buy it again.

Buy replacement oem bk gasket from your Bk dealer. Don’t let them sell you anything else. My last one was about 30$.

You should get way more than 2 years. I too burn the same 9 months per year.

Reactions: MtSiBK
Perhaps something else changed in the house. Does the smell happen every day? Do you think the smoke could be traveling back into the house from the outside.

Perhaps something else changed in the house. Does the smell happen every day? Do you think the smoke could be traveling back into the house from the outside.
No it’s definitely from the door. Top left corner. It has the nice square groove in the gasket everywhere but right there. I adjusted the tension yesterday but it’s still leaking. Had anyone used the Rutland 7/8 high density gasket on one these? I can get one tomorrow from the big A or it’s like a week and a half from the dealer.

Can you see the smoke leaking? I find it easiest to use a flashlight in the dark or dim lighting. Generally speaking holes let air into the stove, not out. Perhaps that area of the door is getting hot and making the paint stink. Has it ben colder than normal where you live?

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Can you see the smoke leaking? I find it easiest to use a flashlight in the dark or dim lighting. Generally speaking holes let air into the stove, not out. Perhaps that area of the door is getting hot and making the paint stink. Has it ben colder than normal where you live?
It was cold and I was running a little harder then I had been and it
It was cold and everyone was home so it ran harder for a couple weeks and now I’m back to just a low cruise. I did the flashlight but didn’t see visible smoke. I did put the wife on the case since she can smell things like nobody else and definitely off the top left corner. I’m trying a small hot fire now or I would take a picture of that spot on the gasket. I cleaned the pipe and pulled it all apart in November and have a very open rain cap.

Update. I removed the door and really got looking inside the stove opening where the gasket would touch. Inside it had a 1/8inch of just hard build up on the bottom. I chipped it away and tried it out. No problem. After looking at it I’m thinking that little bit of hard build up was causing the door to shift upwards a tiny amount causing the smell.

Update. I removed the door and really got looking inside the stove opening where the gasket would touch. Inside it had a 1/8inch of just hard build up on the bottom. I chipped it away and tried it out. No problem. After looking at it I’m thinking that little bit of hard build up was causing the door to shift upwards a tiny amount causing the smell.

And the buildup was black. Same as the stove I'll bet! Hard to see if you aren't paying close attention. Guessing it was predominately on the bottom and lower vertical portion of the knife edge sealing surface out toward the lower corners of the opening. I get some of that as well. I scrape it often. I really have not had much build up this season. Driest wood I've ever burnt helped mine.
Glad you figured it out easily.