SCOOOOOOOORRRREEEE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
:). I just landed my biggest score yet. A few months ago a friend asked me if I wanted some downed trees in their backyard. I said sure but she never mentioned it again until a few days ago when they now need them gone ASAP due to their home owners association. So I ask her exactly how much are we talking about? She replies- 30-40 trees!:eek: I ask how big ARE these trees and they ranged from 6" to 16" diameter (phew) and then she sent me a pic_g. I can't tell exactly what type of trees they are but some look like ash::-). Anyway, right now I'm lining up a trailer. I'll post pics when we get it back.

fv

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
:). I just landed my biggest score yet. A few months ago a friend asked me if I wanted some downed trees in their backyard. I said sure but she never mentioned it again until a few days ago when they now need them gone ASAP due to their home owners association. So I ask her exactly how much are we talking about? She replies- 30-40 trees!:eek: I ask how big ARE these trees and they ranged from 6" to 16" diameter (phew) and then she sent me a pic_g. I can't tell exactly what type of trees they are but some look like ash::-). Anyway, right now I'm lining up a trailer. I'll post pics when we get it back.

fv
It must be great to be in your shoes! Good on you man, please, share the pics.

fv

You would have been in for it if they told you that the trees were 30-40 diameter too.

Nice score! It does beg the question as to what kind of messed up homeowners association requires removing 30 to 40 trees? :eek: Man, I don't think I could deal with a homeowners association.

Reactions: ScotO
30-40 trees at 30-40 inchs........I would need alot of money for that one!

And they'd pay for my Naproxen & doctor visits too ;)

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
30-40 trees at 30-40 inchs........I would need alot of money for that one!

My point exactly...saw a listing on craigslist saying free firewood come and cut the trees down and it needs to be done by April 15th....i wanted to reply call a tree service have them cut the trees down and i will be by to pick up the logs!

Not to get away from the opening point...good score provided you aren't being a tree service and doing alot of work to get the wood!

My point exactly...saw a listing on craigslist saying free firewood come and cut the trees down and it needs to be done by April 15th....i wanted to reply call a tree service have them cut the trees down and i will be by to pick up the logs!

Not to get away from the opening point...good score provided you aren't being a tree service and doing alot of work to get the wood!

I see those quite often here - "FREE FIREWOOD!! I have a very large tree that overhangs my & neighbor's house & 3 powerlines near the street.If you cut it down,clean up everything you can have it free.MUST have proper training & equipment,an experienced crew and most importantly INSURANCE!" Dont leave a mess or ruts in the yard too blah blah.They might have a pic or two of the ugly thing,not always though.

Idiots too DAMN CHEAP to pay for a proper removal. Its those & the ones that advertise FREE WOOD when its just a brush pile and/or twigs/leftover rotten stumps from a previous resident that are most annoying.I've emailed a few with the *ahem* proper response,have flagged some also.;)

This is exactly why I could never live where there is a covenant/home owners ass. They are neatly piled but I am glad to be getting them. Don't worry, I'll be getting pics so you naysayers;) see that I'm not blowing smoke.

fv

Waiting for pics...

Tuesday!

fv

fv, 30-40 trees of that size won't take a super long time but still will take time. My guess is once you start cutting them up the association won't holler about time so long as you continue cutting. Good luck and I hope these are good. I'm guessing probably ash that have died.

Reactions: fireview2788
Well, the pics were a little deceiving so it wasn't as big of a score as I thought it would be but it's still free. It's a mix of honey locust, black birch, cherry, and elm. All of it is nice sized pieces that were easy to handle. I'll try to get some pics soon, no time the next couple of days.

fv

the pics were a little deceiving so it wasn't as big of a score as I thought it would be but it's still free. It's a mix of honey locust, black birch, cherry, and elm.
Nice mix, and free is always good. A nice, easy get too. :)

Pics!
IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
2nd pic is looking like cherry to me.

Reactions: fireview2788
HOA's are all unique and vary in intrusiveness. They are a 2 edged sword if the rules are applied to all equally, most times they are not especially if there is a resident based and elected mangement board. Most have nice free amenities for residents and on site security. Where I live I have to get permission to cut any standing live tree's over 6" in dia. One of the board members does an evaluation and looks at the amount of trees on the lot vs. free space. They don't want to see a city type clear-cut lot. I never had an issue and got the answer within 24 hours, sometimes even less.

A neighboring communities residents' are required to leave all outside lights on overnight based on a rolling schedule. Guess some are afraid of the dark over there. :rolleyes: BTW That is where I get 90% of my firewood from. My tree guy fells, bucks, and chips the branches, call me with directions. No saw required. Don't know the process for getting approval to cut tree's over there though. It sits in the middle of a red oak forest.

To the OP nice score, Maybe word of mouth will get you some more.

Reactions: Realstone
Anybody gonna take a stab at that wood in the second pic? Bark looks a little like Pignut but the heartwood (also visible in the third pic, split standing log) looks almost yellow...
EDIT: First and third pic. ;em

Anybody gonna take a stab at that wood in the second pic? Bark looks a little like Pignut but the heartwood (also visible in the third pic, split standing log) looks almost yellow...

Looks like a mix..

those white ones look a bit like Hackberry. looks to be a bit of cherry in there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.