Score: Car: 0 Woodpile: 1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Got home last night to find the wife in confession mode. Apparently she managed to back the van into our winter's wood supply. I guess I shouldn't have moved that 4 1/2 cord pile of wood over 2 feet this morning before going to work eh? Hmmm... it has been in the same place all summer. Can we say "oops" dear?

Anyway - the pile is fine, can't tell where she hit it, but the bumper of the van now has a hole in it. I guess she hit the corner of a split just right (wrong?) and it punched through the plastic cover. Wish they still made bumpers out of steel.

Guess the cost of heating this winter sort of went up in a way. But at least nobody got hurt and I don't have to re-stack the pile in the rain this weekend!

At least plastic does not rust. Stuff happens. If it had been with a real bumper it might have bent it.

Similar situation happened to my wife. She didn't see the full skid of pavers in our driveway...despite them being dropped of the day before. Luckily, it was a minor scuff. That was over a year ago.

Back in the winter, someone backed into her car at work. They had a 2" hitch...which made a perfect 2" "dent" in the plastic bumper and put a small hole in it. I used to detail cars back in the day, so I'm minorly OCD about stuff like that. But maybe I'm getting a bit wiser as I get older.... Instead of dropping $400-$500 to get a new bumper and get it painted, I took one of those blue "euro" Vermont stickers and put it right over the hole. Problem solved. Cost? Under $3.

Edit...uploaded pics. Linking didn't work.

Attachments

• Bumper1.jpg
    Bumper1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,035
  • Bumper2.jpg
    Bumper2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,043
Hey! I like the sticker idea... I wonder if she would go for a "Got Wood?" sticker.. maybe that is pushing it a bit too much?

A few years ago my wife goes out to the garage, fires up my new Blazer, puts it in reverse and starts to back out of the garage. The step she skipped was opening the garage door. She put the hitch coupler and ball right through a panel in the garage door but stopped before she demolished the whole door.

Since it is almost impossible to replace one panel I put a vent grate over it and rigged it inside for a flex pipe to use in cold weather for working on a car with the engine running but exhausted to the outdoors.

Some cuss at stones, others build with them.

Sorry to hear about the car and hopefully you will find a quick and easy fix. Don't forget duct tape! lol

"Not my fault, they should have built the road wider."

"Not may fault, the wood should have not been stacked there."

I'm glad to hear that your wood is ok. I mean wife....er....uh....well, glad to hear everything/one is ok.

Danno77 said:
I'm glad to hear that your wood is ok. I mean wife....er....uh....well, glad to hear everything/one is ok.

+1 yep that could of been bad!

Wait, wait, wait...a little background is in order...why'd you have to move a 4.5 cord pile 2 feet?

meathead said:
Wait, wait, wait...a little background is in order...why'd you have to move a 4.5 cord pile 2 feet?

he didnt the wife did! lol

smokinjay said:
meathead said:

he didnt the wife did! lol

Ah gotcha...it must be Friday - my ability to detect sarcasm is completely wiped out

One time my wife was walking out the door and i said, "don't back over the garbage can sitting at the end of the driveway." She said "don't worry, I won't." 30 seconds later she came back in to get me. I wish I had a picture of it, but somehow she managed to get the entire rear tire on my car into the garbage can... hard to describe, really...like the round tire was in the round opening of the can. all the way, no tread on the ground. How that happens I have no idea. I stood there for like three minutes trying to figure out how to get it off, finally I just told her to keep backing up while I pushed on the can and it "kinda" just backed right out. I thought i was gonna rip the stupid plastic molding off the car and destroy the rubbermaid garbage can in the process, but it all ended well.

A testament both to the quality of Rubbermaid products and the old superstition of never speaking of the Devil. You KNOW it's entirely your fault for speaking of it.

As for inanimate objects that move unpredictably, I know it only too well after a telephone pole ran out in front of me.

My wife ran over a folded tarp in the driveway. She made it a couple blocks before she noticed the burning smell as it melted from the exhaust pipe. She said, 'I thought I ran you over'. I replied, 'And you didn't stop?'

Hey Slow1, They do have the Got Wood sticker. LOL. I just ordered one for my van. I got me a Got Wood Tshirt but the wife wont go out with me if Im wearing it.

Attachments

• gotwood.jpg
    gotwood.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 795
I find a Radio Flyer little red wagon in the barn and put new hardware, wheels and tires on it and a fine paint job.
I don't recall putting so much love into anything, it was for my new little boy after all.
One freakin' day it lasted.
Twenty years ago, thanks for bringing back the memories.

Did I ever share the story of my wife coming home late from work one night?
She turns on the bedroom lights and yells at me to get up. She's really wound up and I'm thinking WTF?
I asked, "What are you holding?"
She says (I swear to God), "I don't know. Can I keep it?"
She'd found a fawn in the driveway still covered with afterbirth.
She was mad I made her put it back.

God I love her.

1999 in Virginia, I bought my wife a brand new little Mercedes coupe - CLK320. Beautiful car. I was fixin' to replace windows in the house, so I'd had a dumpster (~10 yd³) delivered and it was sitting at the top of the driveway. One afternoon, just a week or so after we'd taken delivery of her car, while she had my Jeep, I needed to run to the store. Got in her brand new little Mercedes, backed it out of the garage, and backed it squarely into the corner of the dumpster. New trunk lid, paint & misc. later, I was out $1800.00 and her car was like new. The dumpster sufferend no discernible damage. We still have that car. Looks great. I rarely drive it. When I do, I try to make sure I won't have to back up. :red: Rick

KatWill said:
Hey Slow1, They do have the Got Wood sticker. LOL. I just ordered one for my van. I got me a Got Wood Tshirt but the wife wont go out with me if Im wearing it.

Careful with that sticker. Without a question mark it may imply that you have a condition that you may or may nto wish to share with others.

Hmmm . . . seems like I'm the one in the family who backs into things . . . but I do it with my wife's car. One year I put her car in reverse and started backing up . . . until I heard the crunch of the garage door and realized that I had forgotten that one important step of putting up the door. Fortunately, it was an easy fix with a couple new panes of glass and some minor woodwork . . .

Of course, this wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't do the same thing about two months later . . . D'oh!

I am pleased to say that despite the fact that I am a slow learner, I have since learned to always look before backing up . . . anywhere, anytime, with any car.

Ahhh, steel bumpers... Years ago I had an 85 Chevy Blazer 4x4 - rusty, beat to death, 35" tires, etc. Come out one morning and I see little bits of glass all over the hood and on the ground. I'm saying WTF!? someone broke in and stole my $35 wal-mart radio - only thing in the truck worth more than a few bucks. As I'm out surveying the mess the next door neighbor comes up and says "Well, we had quite a weekend...The guy next door to me backed out in his brand new Lexus SUV and hit the corner of your truck. The bumper caught the spare tire, crushed in the back hatch and broke out the glass."

Luckily no notable damage to my truck besides a little smudge on the steel bumper, though the @$#hole never even bothered to clean up the glass or explain what happened to me. I made a resolution right there if I ever saw his repaired truck outside and I thought I could get away with it, I'd pull up and ram the spare tire again, then just drive off and let him wonder what happened. Lucky for him, I moved a few months afterward.

mayhem said:
KatWill said:

Careful with that sticker. Without a question mark it may imply that you have a condition that you may or may nto wish to share with others.

They warn you about that in those TV ads...something about seeing a doctor after 4 hours..... :lol:

I was out one night working in trailer park we lived in trying to thaw the water supply. Only two trailers in the entire place plus ours, so my truck is parked in the drive without a thought. So I'm down in a water junction box, and hear a crunch. I look up, and one of the other residents had backed his girlfriend's new Nissan into my (brand new) dodge truck. Thank goodness it's a work truck with a hitch. Receiver hitch and ball + Nissan bumper = hole in bumper. No damage to truck. No doubt putting a hole in the girlfriend's new car left him feeling aforementioned sticker, and probably for more than 4 hours :)

After having backed into 4 or 5 things in probably 7 or 8 years I changed my habit.

I always BACK into my parking space. You can drive by, look as your driving normally, then back in. It's nearly impossible for you to get surprised that way. The only problem I seem to have is tailgaters who don't realize what you're doing, they tend to get pissed when you put the vehicle in reverse. Or once in a while someone will try to pull in normally to the spot at the same time I am backing in.

Really though, since I started doing that I haven't backed into anything and it has been about 5 years. It's much safer and results in less damage.

I have never backed into anything...however my wife is a different story.

1) Custom Gary Fisher mountain bike, got completely wedged under her Jeep. 2800.00 down the drain not a single salvagable part left.

2) numerous mailboxes

3) Chocolate lab (only a scratch)

I don't think she looks before she backs up.

Flammam said:
I have never backed into anything...however my wife is a different story.

1) Custom Gary Fisher mountain bike, got completely wedged under her Jeep. 2800.00 down the drain not a single salvagable part left.

2) numerous mailboxes

3) Chocolate lab (only a scratch)

I don't think she looks before she backs up.

A couple thoughts here:

a) You might want to check your life insurance policy to see if your wife has recently upped the coverage on you and
b) You might want to not be lingering behind your wife's car . . . ever. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.