Score!

NickW

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2019
SE WI
So I finally connected with the tree service guy I've been going back and forth with for a year who said he had 2 acres of logs in a pasture... It's really only an acre and a half ::-) .

I bet I could get a hundred loads like this. Almost all cut to length ash and birch this load. 25 minutes away. Gave him a stick of venison sausage and he was very appreciative.

20210105_110157.jpg 20210105_114043.jpg

Feb 2, 2020
Madison, WI
Excellent score, birch is my absolute favorite wood! Tree service guys (and neighbors getting their trees taken down) will help you go a long way in getting your firewood supply years ahead!

NickW

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2019
SE WI
I am working diligently at getting ahead. I went from last year burning in fall what was cut in spring to about 2 years (8 cord ahead) this fall... not including this score. As long as the white stuff keeps holding off, I'll get 2 more loads this week and more next week. My goal is to have 12-14 css with 4-5 cords of logs & rounds waiting...

Gearhead660

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2018
Southern WI
I am working diligently at getting ahead. I went from last year burning in fall what was cut in spring to about 2 years (8 cord ahead) this fall... not including this score. As long as the white stuff keeps holding off, I'll get 2 more loads this week and more next week. My goal is to have 12-14 css with 4-5 cords of logs & rounds waiting...
Sounds alot like my situation. I was scrambling to have wood to burn last winter. At the start of this season this year I had 16 cord CSS and about 3 cord bucked needing to be split. Was a busy year for me but it feels good knowing I am set for this winter and a few to come. Sounds like you found a jackpot!

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Nice !!!!

CatfishHunter

Dec 8, 2020
Minnesota
I've got 8 acres of birch and pine forest, so there is never a reason for me to get behind except laziness.

Back before we got married, Mrs CatfishHunter and I went up for a winter trip (because we missed our flight to Phoenix). It was an early February trip and the nighttime temps were in the -30 to -40 range with highs in the negative teens. I did NOT do a great job of prepping wood for that winter, as all of the wood was cut that spring. I spent a lot of time splitting wood into smaller pieces to keep the fire going.

For some reason, she still married me but has kept an eye on that wood pile. I also installed baseboard heaters in my place as a supplement/backup, which she really likes.

Caw

Feeling the Heat
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Local tree guys are your best friend as a wood burner. I always tip my guy with $ or goods to keep him coming back even though he only asks for a few bucks for his time. Im currently working on getting ahead myself. I only have an acre of land though so I'm not able to store mega amounts of wood like I'd like without it taking up too much room. I can fit about 10 cords in my setup which should last 2-3 years if kept full every season. 4 x double deep 16' x 5' racks and some pallet space on the side of the house. No complaints, that's a lot to store in a suburban yard I just get wood envy when I read people having 15+ cords prepped. I love wood but my wife and kids like their yard. ==c

NickW

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2019
SE WI
Got 3 more loads this week. Have about 3 1/4 cord of it css with at least 1 1/2 cord to go. So far 2 cord ash & elm; 1/2 cord birch, sugar maple, honey locust (& maybe something else if you saw the argument in my ID thread); and 3/4 cord of mostly box elder. I've learned a little bit about distinguishing ash from box elder now...

Reactions: Gearhead660