Scored a deal - Mystery Harman being brought back from the dead.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

a5t1

Dec 6, 2011
UP
Not that I'm a pellet stove expert, but I've had a few stoves including two Harman Pf100s. I'm familiar with how they work and confident I can fix them. I saw an ad on craigslist that said "Harman Stove". It was in unknown condition and the seller wanted it gone with an asking price of $200. We quickly got on the road and drove the 1.5 hours to check it out. I didn't know the model number yet, but for the money I couldn't pass it up, regardless of what it was. We arrived, the owner had a tractor and loaded it into the truck. When I got it home, I started tearing into it, here are a few quick shots of the exterior:

20210827_184844.jpg

20210827_184854.jpg

The stove looked rough from the outside, the inside was worse. I've never seen something so bad. I had to pry the latch up to open this housing:
20210827_184849.jpg

Check out the cleanout under the burn pot:
20210827_190921.jpg

The sawdust had solidified, I had to chisel it out with a pry bar and hammer.

Screenshot 2021-08-28 090710.jpg

I spent about 1.5 with a wirebrush and got the first round done. Ordered a feed motor, igniter and paint. Will update the thread as parts arrive. 20210827_190921.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like a good way to learn this thing inside and out. Hopefully there are no rust holes in the heat exchanger.

WOW, I’ve done a few Harman stoves that were rough…that one looks like it sat in water…I’ll be following…I might be able to help with any questions too…

Reactions: clancey
WOW, I’ve done a few Harman stoves that were rough…that one looks like it sat in water…I’ll be following…I might be able to help with any questions too…
That's what I wondered too! The electronics look great though. I'll get some pictures showing how well the wire wheel worked out. Biggest project will be building the broken door handle. I'm not paying $100 for a screw and a handle.

You have a massive job ahead but i just know it will turn out just beautiful in the end..People on here are so very talented in many different areas so your at the right place for suggestions...Your pictures are beautiful and that stove is beautiful as well even like it is --for 200 you made a steal even if you had to drive there and I just bet it was a nice drive..lol old clancey

Took apart the distribution blower motor. Just filthy! Scrubbed it all down and reassembled. Also drilled out the broken latch on the door. My old camel back drill press did the job without issue. The stove is ready for paint. Hope to get my parts by end of the week.

That was the first thing I checked, we are good to go.

Also forgot to mention it's a P61-2.

Looking at the pictures I thought it might be a P61, but it's hard to tell as it P68 looks much the same.

Prying the latch up to access the exhaust fan and port really doesn't mean much. A lot of times I have to grab onto mine with heavy pliers to get my P61a's open. And then I throw some PB Blast at it (as it appeared you did - or something similar). Other times it goes just fine. Normally don't have any issues with the P43's latch though.

Now the fines box needing to be chiseled out is something I've never heard of happening - definitely speaks to a lot of moisture.

As long as nothing has rusted thru, you got a good deal since you can take care of the work yourself. Keep us updated on your progress!

Here are some updated pictures after wire wheeling. I also rebuilt the door handle. I was lucky that the foot was still on the threaded shaft. I drilled out the broken threaded shaft and rethreaded for 3/8 16 which is what the stock piece seemed to be. After some welding, grinding drilling and sanding the handle is rebuilt and good as new.

I forgot about the safety vacuum switch. Once I latched the door shut, the feed motor and ignitor both work. As soon as the paint arrives, we'll be ready to fire it up. Guess the parts I ordered will be spares - that's not the worst thing since I don't know about the longevity of those parts.

20210828_131459.jpg 20210830_180702.jpg 20210830_180650.jpg 20210828_123740.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb and tlc1976
The hard work pays off! Can’t wait to see the finished stove installed! Well done sir!!!

Nice work! Good to have spares anyway, I’m actually surprised that any motors in that corroded area worked at all.

Reactions: bogieb
I thought the auger would have been rusted in place, but it was free. The control board looks new - it was a pleasant surprise.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Well, the paint finally arrived. I'm really impressed with the Stove Bright brand. Yes, it's expensive at about $20 per can. I used about 1.5 cans in the repaint. Can't argue with the results though, in my opinion it came out really nice (hard to screw up flat black). After the paint dried I fired the stove up and reassembled. Looking forward to many years of use, thanks for following along on my rebuild.

20210904_143716.jpg

20210904_143709.jpg
20210904_141300.jpg

Wow Looks good
May you have many years of stress-free heating

Just beautiful and even a fire in the middle of summer..Love it..Great job and the picture is beautiful as well..clancey

Wow looks great! Looks like a new Harman for $200 and some parts.

Well done sir! I agree wholeheartedly, Stove Bright is the best stove paint out there. Cheers to years of heat and ambience! Looks amazing