Scramble mode how you setting for this winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fabsroman said:
Me, I am scrambling like crazy. I have 1.4 cords (i.e., 15' x 6' x 2') stacked with a small second stack started out. have a little over a truckload split sitting at my parents and waiting to be hauled up here this weekend or next week. Will probably be getting another cord next week. I have a bunch of wood left to c/s/s at a client's place down the road. I should be a year ahead by the end of the year, but who knows. Might even end up 2 years ahead, but time will tell.

My big issue right now is hoping that this stuff dries enough before I need to start using it. Hoping to get some dead dry stuff from that client mentioned above because I know the trees have been down for 3+ years. I'll know a little more about that come the end of the month.

Yeah, I wouldn't really count on the trees that have been down, though it probably depends upon the type. This past winter I bought some land that had some red oaks on it that had been dropped and cut into 4' sections. According to a neighbor the wood was like that for about 3 years. Some of it was stacked, a lot of it wasn't, and as I'm splitting it I'm realizing none of it is dry enough for this year. Granted, this is red oak and it's 14-24" in diameter. There were a few red maples too, but I'm finding a lot of punk in those. I hope you have better luck than me.

Should be all set for this year- about 4 cord up and drying since March/April. Think I am going to have to buy a grapple load to get going on next year's wood and part of the year after that. With the new stove, I am hoping for some more efficient burns and a reduction in the wood used. We shall see.

fahmahbob said:
fabsroman said:
Me, I am scrambling like crazy. I have 1.4 cords (i.e., 15' x 6' x 2') stacked with a small second stack started out. have a little over a truckload split sitting at my parents and waiting to be hauled up here this weekend or next week. Will probably be getting another cord next week. I have a bunch of wood left to c/s/s at a client's place down the road. I should be a year ahead by the end of the year, but who knows. Might even end up 2 years ahead, but time will tell.

My big issue right now is hoping that this stuff dries enough before I need to start using it. Hoping to get some dead dry stuff from that client mentioned above because I know the trees have been down for 3+ years. I'll know a little more about that come the end of the month.

Yeah, I wouldn't really count on the trees that have been down, though it probably depends upon the type. This past winter I bought some land that had some red oaks on it that had been dropped and cut into 4' sections. According to a neighbor the wood was like that for about 3 years. Some of it was stacked, a lot of it wasn't, and as I'm splitting it I'm realizing none of it is dry enough for this year. Granted, this is red oak and it's 14-24" in diameter. There were a few red maples too, but I'm finding a lot of punk in those. I hope you have better luck than me.

Yeah, I hope I have better luck than you too. I guess I am going to get over there ASAP and see what the situation is. Worst case scenario I heat with natural gas this winter and start using wood next winter. My dad has 2 cords of pretty well seasoned wood that I might use, but we shall see. His only use for it is a fireplace right now, which is a complete waste of it. If he gets an insert, then that will be a different matter.

Hey fabs, go for the tops & smaller limbs on the dead stuff first, that will be easy to get seasoned by fall. It's a bit more work, but way cheaper than NG.

smokinjay said:
Girlfriends son is on scramble mode this weekend. He has big piles of monster rounds and the city is on him. (Party Saturday) ;-) He buying! Where are you at? Hope its at-least a year ahead and Fishing!

Splitter is tune-up, and ready for a 5 cord weekend and lots of young HP!

Over four years ahead (sold the fifth year) and some arse :vampire: from Indiana talked me into getting an alaskan chainsaw mill!

Sounds like the splitting party will be a good time.

zap

I said to myself that if I ever made it to 40 cords C/S/S, I would sell off the splitter and saw and relax for 4-5 years. Thinking I should bump the number up to 60, just so I don't get there in the near future.

mywaynow said:
I would sell off the splitter and saw

Blasphemy. Incidentally, 40 cord can turn into 25 in 9 months if you have other projects going and sell a little.

The selling part intrigues me, though scares me at the same time. I have had some ask to buy already, but don't know if I could let any go. I may cook 5-6 cords in a long season, so I am arouind 6 years ahead now. Problem is I enjoy the work. I feel like I am in better shape/stronger now than I have ever been. Maybe 75 cords?

mywaynow said:
I have had some ask to buy already, but don't know if I could let any go.

Saws need bars/chains, hydraulic pump in the dumper died, trailer tire blew out, want some lights housed in steel for the trailer, trailer could use a paint job and some brakes, and have been eyeing a mill for a while. Makes it a little easier to let some go when the shopping list gets to this point.

mywaynow said:
The selling part intrigues me, though scares me at the same time. I have had some ask to buy already, but don't know if I could let any go. I may cook 5-6 cords in a long season, so I am arouind 6 years ahead now. Problem is I enjoy the work. I feel like I am in better shape/stronger now than I have ever been. Maybe 75 cords?

I have the same issue as you though not to the same magnitude. I was a first year burner last year consuming 2.1 cords (waited til December to start though)but now I am over 4 years ahead. fortunately it's almost all oak so it should not rot. I have given some away already to people that need it. I thought about selling a couple of cords but only for a premium price because it would be seasoned wood. I want to keep going because I love the work as well. Fortunately I have a date with 2 large trees when the weather cools.

No reason to sell any equipment though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.