Scrounge ethics lesson

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who takes wood w/out asking permission is a thief.

Right of way gives them the right to maintain the road as necessary. The trees on that property road or not are the property of the landowner not free to the public.

pen

fm said:
oldspark said:
The land is mine but the county is using it and they can set the rules I guess is how it works.

i hope you dont really believe that either....if they deem they need your land for something, rest assured your land will not be your land anymore

Not to get off topic (except for a moment) but you don't really 'own' the land anyway. You just rent it from the county. Don't believe it? Try not paying your taxes and see who really owns everything. Not trying to be smart about it, just venting on an age old peeve of mine.

pen said:
Anyone who takes wood w/out asking permission is a thief.

Right of way gives them the right to maintain the road as necessary. The trees on that property road or not are the property of the landowner not free to the public.

pen

Exactly.

WoodpileOCD said:
fm said:
oldspark said:
The land is mine but the county is using it and they can set the rules I guess is how it works.

i hope you dont really believe that either....if they deem they need your land for something, rest assured your land will not be your land anymore

Not to get off topic (except for a moment) but you don't really 'own' the land anyway. You just rent it from the county. Don't believe it? Try not paying your taxes and see who really owns everything. Not trying to be smart about it, just venting on an age old peeve of mine.

X2 You just own the right to pay the taxes on it.

If they can legally hunt and trap in my ditch I assume they can take the trees in it, does not make it right but that seems to be the way it is, I can call the county to find out for sure because now I am wondering.

oldspark said:
If they can legally hunt and trap in my ditch I assume they can take the trees in it, does not make it right but that seems to be the way it is, I can call the county to find out for sure because now I am wondering.

Instead of calling the county, why not read it yourself? There are numerous restrictions. Depending on your specific situation, the public may or may not be able to legally hunt or trap in your ditch. In any event, they can't gun hunt with anything other than a shotgun loaded with shot shells.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/law/files/huntingregs.pdf

It took me less than a minute to find that on line.

For the wood part, look up Iowa's forestry laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.