Scrounge Score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lukem said it!! The question is: might there be a single tree in that line W/O PI vines covering it???

Just like here I can only imagine the PI is everywhere

Reactions: smokinj
Do you have Poison Ivy in Indiana?

Yes we do. This will be late fall after the crops are down. You just have to wash anything your wearing every time you cut. If don't you will catch it on the rebound. ;)

Does a bear.....

We lived in Indiana a couple of years and I got the one and only case of PI I've ever had. It was pure Hell too! Worst part is that you know how men are. When nature calls, they don't always go indoors. Oh that PI was terrible....:mad:

Does a bear.....

We lived in Indiana a couple of years and I got the one and only case of PI I've ever had. It was pure Hell too! Worst part is that you know how men are. When nature calls, they don't always go indoors. Oh that PI was terrible....:mad:

Yep PI Is a distinct possibility. Never had it until about 20 years old. Since then about 5 times a year. And many times down there. "Honey, I swear its poison ivy":confused:

Rumor has it.... ==c

This is what it looks like any place where some sun can reach the forest floor. North slopes aren't quite as bad. Some of the leaves are as big as your hand and there are some spots where it is almost waist-deep.
003_zps95ad02e5.jpg

You just have to wash anything your wearing every time you cut. If don't you will catch it on the rebound. ;)
I'm not that careful. Maybe I've gotten a little less sensitive over the years. I just don't let the plant touch my skin. I was out there today in short sleeves. I will get a small spot on my wrist once in a while, that's about it.
only case of PI I've ever had. It was pure Hell too! Worst part is that you know how men are. When nature calls, they don't always go indoors. Oh that PI was terrible....:mad:
Yeah, I was scratching my crotch even more than I normally do. ;lol
If you get a bad case, it's itchy, but if it's just a small spot I don't find it as itchy as a skeeter bite, tick bite or the dreaded chigger bite. The key for me is not to scratch any of that stuff or it will just itch more. :oops:

I've had it really bad, and I mean BAD a couple times in the past. After that I'm pretty much immune to it. I'll get a little spot here and there if I come in direct contact with it, but I don't really make an effort to avoid it at all costs.

What you have to be really careful of is burning the stuff in a brush pile. A little won't hurt you, but if you burn a lot you'll get completely covered head-to-toe and need some shots. Ask me how I know. :mad:

Rumor has it.... ==c

This is what it looks like any place where some sun can reach the forest floor. North slopes aren't quite as bad. Some of the leaves are as big as your hand and there are some spots where it is almost waist-deep.
003_zps95ad02e5.jpg

I'm not that careful. Maybe I've gotten a little less sensitive over the years. I just don't let the plant touch my skin. I was out there today in short sleeves. I will get a small spot on my wrist once in a while, that's about it.
Yeah, I was scratching my crotch even more than I normally do. ;lol
If you get a bad case, it's itchy, but if it's just a small spot I don't find it as itchy as a skeeter bite, tick bite or the dreaded chigger bite. The key for me is not to scratch any of that stuff or it will just itch more. :oops:

What I am talking about is when your cutting through vines. The oils will be in the saw dust. I only cut when there no leaves. (That just come with old age) ;)

What I am talking about is when your cutting through vines. The oils will be in the saw dust. I only cut when there no leaves.
Last bad case I had (about thirty years ago,) I cut through vines and then picked up a couple rounds at a time; Bottom round held with my hands and top round held in place by my inner forearms....short sleeve shirt. :rolleyes: Cortisone shots needed to fix that dose. But even if the vines have no leaves, there is still plenty of juice in the vine to give you a bad case. I make an effort to tear the vines off before bucking the log.

I've had it really bad, and I mean BAD a couple times in the past. After that I'm pretty much immune to it. I'll get a little spot here and there if I come in direct contact with it, but I don't really make an effort to avoid it at all costs.

What you have to be really careful of is burning the stuff in a brush pile. A little won't hurt you, but if you burn a lot you'll get completely covered head-to-toe and need some shots. Ask me how I know. :mad:

Doctor told me it is Hell if you breath the smoke so best to not burn it.

I thought I knew PI intimately, but I learned something new today. pi can get berries. I was rescuing a newly down cherry before it rots and saw some vines. I discounted them as grapes or something because of the berries. As I was tearing them off haphazardly in a T-shirt I looked closer at the leaves and thought "oh crap." Showered a few times since then... Hoping for the best.

Oh...the price we pay for free wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.