scrounged woodpile pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Stick

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Capital Region, NY
Here are pics of my scrounged woodpiles. All black locust and one small poplar tree with about two pallets of red oak. I scrounged all of this since September of this year. Lots of time and work went into this, as most of you all know.

Attachments

• woodpile1.jpg
    woodpile1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 509
  • woodpile2.jpg
    woodpile2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 505
  • woodpile3.jpg
    woodpile3.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 509
  • woodpile4.jpg
    woodpile4.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 518
  • woodpile5.jpg
    woodpile5.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 502
Looks like its been a busy fall, nice work.

Very Nice. Nice and square pallet loads! Nice work.

Way to go Boom Stick thats a lot of wood!! its gonna be worth it when your warm inside.

Pete

Thats alot of wood. Nice how square it stayed on a pallet.

Nice fish you are holding, looks like a steelhead. Nice wood too!

What's the trick into getting a photo uploaded for your own pic? I've uploaded a photo, but it's not showing.

Oregon Bigfoot

To upload a picture to your avatar.... Go to Your Control Panel at the top of the page. Then choose Edit Avatar on the left. Browse for the picture and go from there. You may have to re-size the picture but you can play with it.

Oregon Bigfoot said:
Nice fish you are holding, looks like a steelhead. Nice wood too!

What's the trick into getting a photo uploaded for your own pic? I've uploaded a photo, but it's not showing.

Oregon Bigfoot

Thanks and yes that is a steelhead. East coast fish from Lake Ontario caught in the Salmon River in upstate NY. On my to do list is a weeklong steelhead trip in the northwest or BC. I am using a mac so that may be different for you. Once you try to upload a photo hit the preview post button and look for the file. If it didn't upload it will tell you when you preview post in red letters at top. My pics were too big so I had to export them to my desktop and change the size. Then when I upload I choose the files that are on my desktop. Basically you have to resize your pics so that they fit. I figured out how to do that mainly by accident. Good luck!

Good job. Looks like a TON of wood. Most certainly - the stacks mean alot of hard work went into them. Good idea to give your Fiskars a breather sometimes like in the last pic.

Looks great....how the heck to you guys stack like that ??....also looks like it's time for a Log Splitter....let's see what Santa brings

Thanks! After resizing a few times, I finally was successful uploading a pic of my grandson and me at my chainsaw, while we were Christmas tree hunting late November. He's my little lumberjack.

Where I live, I've gone steelhead and salmon fishing before work, and limited out a couple of times. One particular day doing this, in May 2004, I was standing in the South Santiam River, near Lebanon, Oregon at 5 AM until it was light enough to see. 5 casts, 4 on, 2 lost, 2 spring chinook landed, and then off to work by 9 AM. That was the exception, not the rule. Most times, it's just casting practice. This year for all of 2011, I have landed only one salmon, and zero steelhead, go figure.

We've even gone wood cutting in the hills, and gone steelhead fishing afterwards. My brother in law got a steelhead one day after we cut a cord of wood. I think that was 1991 or 1992, it was a while ago.

Oregon Bigfoot.

Beer Belly said:
Looks great....how the heck to you guys stack like that ??....also looks like it's time for a Log Splitter....let's see what Santa brings

I have one but for the last couple of cords I have used my axe. I really like splitting with the fiskars. I believe it is faster than using the splitter and I haven't had a round too big to split. I had some 24-26 inch (maybe more) wide Locust that my little x25 did quite a good job on. I do have a pile of uglies and crotches that are waiting for my splitter to rip apart.

Oregon Bigfoot said:
Thanks! After resizing a few times, I finally was successful uploading a pic of my grandson and me at my chainsaw, while we were Christmas tree hunting late November. He's my little lumberjack.

Where I live, I've gone steelhead and salmon fishing before work, and limited out a couple of times. One particular day doing this, in May 2004, I was standing in the South Santiam River, near Lebanon, Oregon at 5 AM until it was light enough to see. 5 casts, 4 on, 2 lost, 2 spring chinook landed, and then off to work by 9 AM. That was the exception, not the rule. Most times, it's just casting practice. This year for all of 2011, I have landed only one salmon, and zero steelhead, go figure.

We've even gone wood cutting in the hills, and gone steelhead fishing afterwards. My brother in law got a steelhead one day after we cut a cord of wood. I think that was 1991 or 1992, it was a while ago.

Oregon Bigfoot.

Scoring a cord of wood and the taking out the rods for some steelhead fishing? Sounds like a plan to me. I'll be making a 4 day trip steelhead fishing with my buddies over the xmas break. It is a yearly trip we take. Best part about it is all the salmon are gone and so are the crowds. 25 degrees, snow, and no salmon in the river means it is time to head up there. Nice story you have! And yes, mainly it is just casting practice.

Nice work Boom Stick! I have not been down your way in a long time. Use to go down there occasionally to see my brother when he lived in Albany. Last time was down even close to there was to S.P.A.C. for a concert. Trying to remember who I saw last. HHHmmmmm. Eagles, Hell Freezes Over Tour? Maybe. That was a long time ago. And a good concert. There is some good fishing on the St. Lawrence River and on Black Lake. I don't fish much anymore. Too bad. That is a relaxing thing to do.

Boom, that is very impressive work with all being since September. Excellent!

A pile of split and stacked wood is always a good sight.

Love the Pic's... one comment/suggestion... it looks like that one stack is a 4 pallet square. I would separate them into 2 side by side 2 pallet stacks with enough room to walk between them. Will season the middle better.

Got Wood said:
Love the Pic's... one comment/suggestion... it looks like that one stack is a 4 pallet square. I would separate them into 2 side by side 2 pallet stacks with enough room to walk between them. Will season the middle better.

I would be a bit concerned for the same reasons. I had two rows of splits stacked on pallets about 4' apart. During last fall I scored a huge scrounge and just dumped the rounds in between the previously cut/split/stacked 2 roows of pallets. Guess what? One of my c/s/s stacks was blocked by the rounds just enough that it didn't season well enough to burn last year. So... I am a firm believer of keeping double stacked (two rows on one pallet) distanced by at least 2' from now on. Just my experience ----- which isn't a whole lot at this time but I'm learning. :)

+1 for the above 2 comments (although awesome work on the wood!) - I stack the same way, but leave at least 18" to 2' of space between all pallets - you want air moving through those stacks.

Cheers!

Yes, one is a 4 pallet square. I think in two years it will be fine. I was thinking of moving it but will not do so until spring at earliest. Had plans to so something else with it but it turned into a big pile. I figured it wont be touched for two years, gets wind and full sun for a good part of the day and has air circulation under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.