Seasoned Wood Does Make A Difference

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
;ex Seasoned wood makes a difference. ;ex
Big difference!

Like said, getting ahead is the key.
Takes a mammoth effort for most of us & 2 years at least.

Staying ahead isn't easy, just easier than getting ahead ;)

Couldn't have said it better myself so I won't try.

This was our first winter. We have a sweep coming to show us how to do it. But I know that in February with 3 feet of snow on the ground, I or DH is not likely to pull out the ladder to sweep. Or maybe we will...but it's a way of thinking about the cost of getting ahead vs the "cost" of burning unseasoned wood.

its not hard once you're shown how to do it, and once you're caught up with seasoned wood once or twice a year is all you need.

There could be many reasons.
Perhaps age, type of roof, height of chimney, fear of heights.........
I do my own, but it's a ranch and very easy to access....even in the winter.
yea i guess age or high pitch could be a deterrent but in that case i think there is a kit that you can use from the inside going up.

This was our first winter. We have a sweep coming to show us how to do it. But I know that in February with 3 feet of snow on the ground, I or DH is not likely to pull out the ladder to sweep. Or maybe we will...but it's a way of thinking about the cost of getting ahead vs the "cost" of burning unseasoned wood.
DH?? Disabled husband? I hope he is not getting on the roof!!!

yea i guess age or high pitch could be a deterrent but in that case i think there is a kit that you can use from the inside going up.
I am 64. I have taken care of everything relating to wood burning for 40 years. However, a year ago in June I broke my back in 3 places. Come burning season, I could not clean my own chimney. Luckily, I have a son who did it for me, moved wood into the wood shed and covered the rest. By the time the stoves needed to be fired, I was able to bring wood in one split at a time (even though I wasn't supposed to even do that). So, yes there are reasons why you can't do it yourself. I hope that I can do it when I am 90, but there are no guarantees in this life. Enjoy your health, and ability to do things......it is a precious gift.;hm

Sorry guys scrounging bucking splitting and stacking wood is extremely hard labor so i was trying to say if you can do all that its not much harder to sweep your own chimney. I wasn't trying to insult or question why someone wouldn't.

Reactions: tfdchief
I am 64. So, yes there are reasons why you can't do it yourself. I hope that I can do it when I am 90, but there are no guarantees in this life. Enjoy your health, and ability to do things......it is a precious gift.;hm
By the time your 90 chief we will be able to go the whole season on one split in our wood fusion stoves,keep the faith,take care of yourself so you can still be here at 90,good luck!

DH?? Disabled husband? I hope he is not getting on the roof!!!

Could be . . . typically DH = Darling Husband . . . DW = Darling Wife . . . etc.

I also know that it make a big difference.

Could be . . . typically DH = Darling Husband . . . DW = Darling Wife . . . etc.
I guess i dont know all the lingo??

This honestly is the only forum where i see that used??

They still do tree removals in chicago esp in supurbs so it may be easier than one thinks. Afterall i would be he is either in a part of town with houses and a few trees or a suburb. I dont think to many higrises have or allow stoves!!!

I didn't think a tree could live in Chicago, poor tree

I guess i dont know all the lingo??

This honestly is the only forum where i see that used??

I never knew what this was until I was checking out a Cruise Ship Forum to get inside info on my first (well first and only so far) cruise . . . saw them throwing around DH, DW, DS (Darling Son) and DD (Darling Daughter) . . . at first I thought the DD was a reference to Dunkin' Donuts . . . or Designated Driver.

After burning 2 smaller loads down to a decent coal bed, I criss-crossed 5 or 6 smaller splits of well seasoned ash I believe. Before the load was even charred, it began off-gassing with beautiful blue secondaries. That is enough to convince me. I know I am generating some good heat off this.

My house is in Chicago. My office is in NW Indiana about 45 minutes drive. The woodstoves are in Indiana. My gas stove is in Chicago. It's not feasable to have a wood burning stove. It would be annoying to some neighbors and wood would be expensive and difficult to bring in. In some areas, people are paying $150 for a face cord delivered. I'm getting full cords $225 delivered in Indiana cut and split reasonably well although I still have to split most of the pieces I get to burn properly in my smallish firebox. I have an offer to buy cords $100 delivered in non-split log form. That is the direction I may take. Depending on the wood, I could split a larger round by hand and have enough for a couple of loads from each round. That would be an easier to split round...I'm not messing with elm or anything like that with an axe.

Sweeping chimney is dirty work and liner is 35 feet. Need to unhook insert and pull out of fireplace to sweep. I can take 2 or 3hours to do all that, or pay $125 for someone else to deal with it and spend my Saturday cutting wood.

After burning 2 smaller loads down to a decent coal bed, I criss-crossed 5 or 6 smaller splits of well seasoned ash I believe. Before the load was even charred, it began off-gassing with beautiful blue secondaries. That is enough to convince me. I know I am generating some good heat off this.

My house is in Chicago. My office is in NW Indiana about 45 minutes drive. The woodstoves are in Indiana. My gas stove is in Chicago. It's not feasable to have a wood burning stove. It would be annoying to some neighbors and wood would be expensive and difficult to bring in. In some areas, people are paying $150 for a face cord delivered. I'm getting full cords $225 delivered in Indiana cut and split reasonably well although I still have to split most of the pieces I get to burn properly in my smallish firebox. I have an offer to buy cords $100 delivered in non-split log form. That is the direction I may take. Depending on the wood, I could split a larger round by hand and have enough for a couple of loads from each round. That would be an easier to split round...I'm not messing with elm or anything like that with an axe.
If you have a truck or trailer you can have it delivered to indiana and load it in your truck and haul it back to chicago, as your going that way anyway, on your way home.Heck you could buy and resell firewood at those prices and get your wood for free, just by husleing

If you have a truck or trailer you can have it delivered to indiana and load it in your truck and haul it back to chicago, as your going that way anyway, on your way home.Heck you could buy and resell firewood at those prices and get your wood for free, just by husleing

I think some people do that, but it's not practical because of my witch of a neighbor. She'd complain about woodsmoke. Houses are close together and she's a drama queen....complains of allergies

If you have a new stove you wont have smoke.

I know you realize this.

I have a cat stove and unless im starting it up or the 20 mins or so after i reload it (only 2x day) is the only time i smoke. My nextdoor neighbor and i both burn wood, he always has smoke coming out of his old dragon and i rarely have more than a whisp coming out of my chimney.

If you have a new stove you wont have smoke.

I know you realize this.

I have a cat stove and unless im starting it up or the 20 mins or so after i reload it (only 2x day) is the only time i smoke. My nextdoor neighbor and i both burn wood, he always has smoke coming out of his old dragon and i rarely have more than a whisp coming out of my chimney.

Yeah. I get a little more smoke with my non-cat, but not if I'm burning it right meaning small splits, then larger logs only after I have a nice coal bed. Otherwise, I get smoke.

Mine puts off a smell, its kind of hard to describe?

I have heard others here mention the smell of a cat stove. Sometimes you get smoke wiffs but it has a chemical smell to me or smells like your buring something other than wood???

But all i burn is straight wood, sometimes its not the diriest it should be 30-35% (i know it should be 25 or less) but i burn what i got. Usually its lower than that though. Mostly oak, some sweetgum, cherry, hikory, but mostly oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.