Seasoning rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Wood takes a very long time to season at the core. Splitting the rounds will greatly speed up drying time.

Just split open a round that was cut 6 months ago. I scribed a slot in a bunch of rounds to see it it would help it season.

The MC is 24.3% based on the resistivity of pine, which means this white oak is at about 18%.

SWMO is in a drought with many days over 100°F, and some good 20-30 hot winds. It was just 85 this morning so I went out and split some of the bigger rounds left over from this particular tree.

IMG_4478.jpeg IMG_4476.jpeg

It depends on the conditions, but generally unless you need really thick pieces for some reason there's no reason not to split it. The thinner it's split, the faster it will dry. It could be many many years (like 5+) before those oak rounds are ready to burn.

Reactions: ericm979
Is it okay to season and burn rounds of live oak 8-10 inches in diameter or do they need to be split?
Even wood that I burn in my Garn boiler I still split the 8-10 diameter once. They just season and burn nicer. Wood like oak and locust take some time to season out.

You have one helluva big stove if you can burn 10 inch oak.
Great, for the all night burn, IF it is dry.

A 8-10" round will likely start to rot in the middle before it becomes dry enough to efficiently burn.