Seasoning time for downed wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i just cut into a pile of maple, beech and cherry that have been on the landing for a year. I split them and did moisture test..it averaged 27 %....I cant recall what freshly fallen logs are moisture wise but it has to be 35-45%. so to answer your question yes it will take less time, except maybe for logs sitting on the ground.

I've been cutting oak right now, splitting and stacking it. I expect to be able to burn it 12-13 season. I also have elm and maple that I'm working on and mixing in my stacks. I believe anything I get css by May will be ready for next season, especially if I go FIFO on my stacks. I estimate I'll have six full cords ready by the end of April and be ready for burning next fall.
In your situation, I would keep the Elm and Maple separate from the Oak rather than stacking FIFO. The Oak might be a real chore to burn after only one Summer, but the Elm and Maple should be further along.

Status
Not open for further replies.