Seasoning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tomyv

Jan 24, 2019
Pa
Hello,

I've been reading on here for a few months. I recently had a hearthstone Clydesdale installed and found out quickly how important dry wood is. Luckily I had some wood seasoned already for the fireplace, and I've been able to get reasonably priced seasoned wood from a local supplier. I also had a log load delivered to begin cutting/splitting for next year.

I'm absolutely thrilled with the insert and it has been hearing my entire 2400 sq ft home. The log load is a mix of primarily sugar maple and oak. I'm concerned about next year however. If I get it cut/split/stacked by spring, will I be able to burn it effectively next year, or will I need to wait an additional year? I have considered building a solar kiln if need be, anyone have any experience with those?

Reactions: D8Chumley
Welcome! Lots of good people here with lots of good info. I would split and stack the oak and maple separately, oak will take at least 2 years to truly get the benefit of it. I started out stacking all my woods together and it didn’t take long to realize I should keep the good hardwood separate. I stack on pallets and top cover everything. Maple will be ready before the oak I’d say but I’ve never gotten any Sugar so maybe someone else will have some better info on that

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Sugar maple about 2 years worth drying time- but that depends on your areas conditions and what size splits you stack. smaller dries faster course burns faster also. You do want off the ground. Putting plastic under the skids ( or what ever you use to elevate off ground) would be advantageous as Maples tend to go punky kinda quick blocking ground moisture rising helps with that and as above top cover but not with tarp or whatever hanging over the sides as that will trap moisture at the top of the stack.

Reactions: D8Chumley
If you need that wood for this coming fall and your just getting to splitting it, its not going to be ready. Your going to need ro dry it in ole summer. Your going to need to do a kiln. The like in in my signature..

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink