1. osecen

osecen
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 6, 2018
    Loc:
    Indiana
    Hello Everyone,

I have a situation similar to some of the people in this thread, bought a house in December 2017 in Indiana, brought a chimney sweeper and I was told I need a new chimney liner and a chimney cap and to convert open gas fireplace to wood burning one is a total of $3800. I understand my options are:

1) doing nothing (i.e., continuing to not use the fireplace)

Convert the gas fireplace to a wood burning fireplace AND:

2a) having a wood burning insert installed with a smaller stainless steel liner

2b) having a larger stainless steel liner installed so the existing open hearth fireplace can be used

My questions are:

If I choose 2a, how will I drop the liner through the damper? Damper opening is too small.

Can I leave the gas burner inside to startup the fire and continue to use for wood burning?

Here are the pictures of the chimney and fireplace:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HAbXIAkvMly-4VTPtyNdkzEUy5yF-Zl_

Thanks,
    Onder

2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The damper gets removed or cut to clear the liner. If an insert is put in the gas gets capped off or removed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Blazingembers7749

Blazingembers7749
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 26, 2018
    Loc:
    Maryland
    The damper does get removed but that is some sort of heat form and usually some of the back wall will need to be removed in order to fit a standard 6inch liner thru without pinching it from bending it into a s shape.

4. Blazingembers7749

Blazingembers7749
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 26, 2018
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Similar to this. Just make sure to follow manufactures instructions and clearance requirements. If you have to remove the entire heatform by cutting it into managable pieces and rebuild a firebox before installing an insert.

Attached Files:

5. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    You dont nessecarily have to rebuild anything as long as there is enough masonry left to meet code.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Blazingembers7749

Blazingembers7749
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 26, 2018
    Loc:
    Maryland