Secondaries Flame Only

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntindog1

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2011
South Central Indiana
Something to point out to new comers with these stoves with secondary air coming in up at the top of the stove thru tubes or some type of manifold. I wish I would have taken a picture to post. This is something I didnt get last year as my wood was a hair bit more moisture than it should have. I think its so true to use wood thats CSS (cut split stacked) and seasoned for 2 to 3 years.

What I was able to do and the result I got was that the temperatures built up in the stove quickly from a cold start, not on a bed of coals. Which a bed of coals makes it easier especially with really good dry wood. In addition to that is that I was able to turn the air input much farther down to get a lower level burn and my secondary flames did not go out on me. Then to really make my day was after the logs got looking like a pile of coals in the shape of the logs, what I saw was what looked like the fire had gone out but I looked at my temp gauges and the stove was still really hot not the temps that would come from just coals. So then I got down and looked up into the top of the stove and there was flames up around those burn tubes. No flames between the tubes and wood or flames at the wood but just flames around the tubes. Now to alot of these long time operators of these type stoves this is no biggy , they have seen similar situations. Plus these flames continued on for sometime so it wasnt a short lived thing. But after burning for one full winter last winter with sub par wood. Its really amazing the extra performance you can get out of these stoves with quality wood.

Another thing is my stove is rated for 12 hour burns, most likely over rated as most stoves are. On this first start of the year from a cold start I only had the stove loaded about half full if that. But with this drier wood I not only could close the air down further and maintain secondaries but I was able to get the air shut down quicker from the quicker start up, get temps up in stove. Now last year with more moisture in my wood I was wasting time waiting for temps to come up in the stove to an operational level. what this extra time does is not only make you mad but burns up more of your wood that is needed for the longer burn times. Plus with only having it about half loaded with wood I got close to a 7 hour burn which makes me extremely happy. So its all something to think about for new comers to the modern day wood stoves.

I should add I did get secondary flames but not like described above.

Good post Huntindog1.
First hand report from a new EPA stove burner .......with dry wood.;)
My old stove works much better (non-EPA) now that the wood I'm using is dry. Been that way now for the last 3 years, but the last 2 have been the best.
Sounds like you're on the downhill side now.

I have noticed a big difference as well my first 2 fires yesterday morning and this morning.

SEASONED FIREWOOD.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I built a hot fire last evening, once the stovetop hit 600° I threw in two splits of bone-dry locust and cut the air WAAAY back. In a half hour or so, the blue-orange secondaries really started rolling. I pointed the secondaries out to the kids and explained what they were and how they were actually smoke that was reigniting, they really liked that and were watching them for a while.. I know since I cleaned out the air tubes with compressed air I see better secondaries. That will be on my yearly checklist from now on.

Funny thing you spoke of this, cause I had the same thing happen last night. I had left over locust and oak from the mild winter last year, bone dry ( 2 yrs. seasoned ) put in about 7 - 8 medium size splits on my starter bead of coals, little over 1/2 full, draft wide open. Within 6 to 7 min. all the splits chared dark and started to blaze very hot !
I turned the draft down, more, more, more, more, till about a 1/4 inch from stopping point ( on a PE summit )
Then the backwards light show started, wow with hardly no wood flame all secondary and about 400 stack temp.
Turned all the lights off and watched, stove has never preformed this well on this wood. Im sold on 2 yrs. minimum on hard dense woods, that 2 yr. locust burnt like coal. And I thought it done good at 1 yr. seasoned, 4 th year with this stove and still learning .....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Gotta love a good secondary burn. This is a video from last year. Pretty long, but you get the idea (left it go while I took a shower, to show what temps I had after 12 minutes). With a half load, like in the video, I can keep it under control. But fully loaded, the 30 likes to touch 750° and stay there for a Bit :) Sometimes higher. But rarely lower :cool:

I just changed my Avatar pic , this is a pic of my stove last winter , looks like a lighting strike down to the wood.

Nice pic huntindog, I can feel the heat looking at it ! sure will be nice this winter when those low temps. and wind kicks in.

Gotta love a good secondary burn. This is a video from last year. Pretty long, but you get the idea (left it go while I took a shower, to show what temps I had after 12 minutes). With a half load, like in the video, I can keep it under control. But fully loaded, the 30 likes to touch 750° and stay there for a Bit :) Sometimes higher. But rarely lower :cool:quote]

I was getting warm just watching that vid Dexter!

Thanks! I've watched it twice now. :) Probably 2-3 weeks before I will be having my first fire of the season.

quote="DexterDay, post: 1185863, member: 16089"]Gotta love a good secondary burn. This is a video from last year. Pretty long, but you get the idea (left it go while I took a shower, to show what temps I had after 12 minutes). With a half load, like in the video, I can keep it under control. But fully loaded, the 30 likes to touch 750° and stay there for a Bit :) Sometimes higher. But rarely lower :cool:

[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.