Secondary Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
I am away 4 wks and home 1 and my wife is learning our new stove, I think she experinsed the first real secondary burn. She decribed heat shot up in 550-600 range she shut the air all the way down. Then there was hardly no fire from the logs and up in the top the secondarys were giving it hell temp came down to about 500 and she stayed up half the night scared she had done something wrong. She was comfortably 85 in house with some windows open 34 outside.
She has run woodburning stove 20 + years we burned mostly non seasoned wood. Our wood is marginal 25 to 28 mc mixed with dry wood .

Looks like she has found the zone! You won't see much for secondary action with 28% moisture, but once it finally dries out then you'll see the secondary kicking in.

ControlFreak said:
Looks like she has found the zone! You won't see much for secondary action with 28% moisture, but once it finally dries out then you'll see the secondary kicking in.

Thanks I was hoping someone would help, she has more experince burnig it than me, when I was breaking it in it was in the 50s.

I am in Canada for 2 weeks for my job and call home every day to ask how its going with the wood burner, she says fine but she has lied to me before! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.