secondary combustion -- Dutchwest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a stove top Condar. Placement is tricky. Manual says over door, but this is the coolest place on the stove by far. Loading lid usually goes 100deg. higher and back by the flue higher yet. I've settled on putting it just off center back by the flue. That way I know if I'm getting too hot on any part of the stove.
Condar probe thermometer coming tomorrow probably. I have a double wall interior so I have to get the probe. Right now I have a face cord of cherry and oak drying in my downstairs den (hope wife doesn't see this post). Humidity there is 35% This has to help in a week or so.
I don't think the wood is wet, but it's probably not what this stove wants exactly either. Looking forward to seeing your temps. I've routinely hit 600-650 back of the loading lid. 700 once when I got distracted.

rkymtnoffgrid said:
...my refractory brick on the side door of my dutchwest has broke....again... and I have to head to the stove shop anyways.

You might be interested in this:
http://gordosoft.com/woodstove/refractoryDIY.htm

Look at the second picture, you can buy a longer bolt and metal bracket from Home Depot for about $3 which will not only protect the door refractory, but also hold it together in the event that it cracks in half like mine did. This was a very common problem with the Dutchwest, so much so that Vermont Castings actually changed the design, the new models have a protective shield over the side door refractory piece now.

Status
Not open for further replies.