Self powered splitter for multiple skidsteers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunky1

Feb 20, 2008
Deepfreeze MN
Hi All,

Getting through my freshman year of woodburning quite well, (much thanx to all the knowledgeable pro's here that chunk in their 2 cents!), inspite of some -40 degree crap this week, kept the temp between 68 & 74 degrees. (Sweet!)

Just kicking around the idea of making a splitter with its own power source for several different skidsteers. Currently I have 2 nieghbors with smaller skidsteers that just don't have the hydraulics to run an inverted splitter. I know it would take some engineering, but would it be possible to mount a gas engine, hydraulic pump and resevoir on a self contained unit?

I know the engine would have to be mounted in a way to account for the pitching and rolling of the skidsteers
constant movement. (keeping oil levels where they need to be) Also, we would have to design a way to run the control from the diffferent skidsteers. (thinking about a foot control) To get maximum usage, I would try to set the splitter up for both inverted operation (running the splitter solely from the operators seat of the skidsteer), and having the option to run the splitter in a traditional manner (splitting smaller pieces in a stationary upwards way).

I realize this is taking the long way to get to Grandma's house, but, I really would like to get these guys on board. One is a mechanic, and the other works in hydraulics-- :) Besides, it would be easier to run by the Ministry of Finance if the cost was divisible by 3.

I hope I have'nt confused anyone--all questions, comments and concerns are most welcome!

Why don't the three of you just go in on the cost of a gas-powered hydraulic splitter? Seems like it might be easier to bring the splitter to the skidsteer than the skidsteer to the splitter. I thought about a PTO-powered splitter for my little tractor, but opted out of that, because I like to put the splitter wherever I'm gonna use it, then use the tractor loader bucket to bring the rounds to the splitter, then the splits to wherever. If the two machines were married together, it would reduce the utility in my case. Rick

Personally I wouldnt want to rack up the hours on my bobcat with a splitter. Traditional wood splitters run dirt cheap. I can split for hours on a gallon or so of gasoline. If you guys each pitched in $500 you would have a nice unit that would last a very long time. If you guys tried to build one, you would most likely have the same amount of $$$ and a "jerry rigged" unit that may only lead to disappointment. If your project was more hobby orientated, I could better understand the desire.

Keep your skidloader hours for aiding in cutting wood, to me, my bobcat is as much to cutting wood as my chainsaw, I'd be lost without it. Good luck

reaperman said:
Personally I wouldnt want to rack up the hours on my bobcat with a splitter. Traditional wood splitters run dirt cheap. I can split for hours on a gallon or so of gasoline. If you guys each pitched in $500 you would have a nice unit that would last a very long time. If you guys tried to build one, you would most likely have the same amount of $$$ and a "jerry rigged" unit that may only lead to disappointment. If your project was more hobby orientated, I could better understand the desire.

Keep your skidloader hours for aiding in cutting wood, to me, my bobcat is as much to cutting wood as my chainsaw, I'd be lost without it. Good luck

I agree with not running it off skidsteer hyd. It doesn't make economic sense to burn up the hours on a high dollar unit when a small hyd/power pack can do the same.
Why not build a steel deck with splitter mounted on it and a universal mounting plate so it is easily moveable with a skidsteer.
I have a 90 HP Coyote Tool Carrier that we use in the yard and have considered getting rid of my processors and buiding a large splitter/conveyor on a steel deck like this so I can go to the woods or a wood dump and get free tops/wood instead of paying loggers to bring wood to me.I think you have a good idea for making the splitter more mobile.

Thanx for all the input, in retrospect, one has to keep mind at best, combined, we'd probably only be doing 15 - 20 cords a year. With that in mind, a traditional splitter would be the most efecient way to go (not the most interesting, but yeah, the best way). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.