Selkirk/Metalbestos chimney (+Jotul stove) installation question(s)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Morgan

Oct 7, 2013
Hey everyone,

So I finally ended up ordering the Metalbestos chimney system with double-wall stove pipe. I'm going from the first floor through the second, through the attic, and out the roof. I've started the installation and have my holes cut, joists re-framed, and now it's time to start installing chimney. The questions...

1. The store sold me a dripless smoke pipe adapter that slips in the ceiling support, but online it says that this is for single wall stove pipe. Will this work with my DSP or will I need a different adapter?

2. They did not have the long telescopic length of double-wall stove pipe at the store, only a 12"-18" piece, so I will have to use a few pieces of stove pipe and get within 6 inches. Should this small telescopic piece go at the chimney side or stove side of the stove pipe stack?

3. I have a Jotul f500 Oslo. Will the double-wall stove pipe go directly into the flue collar, or will I need a special adapter?

Thanks so much, everyone has been super helpful!

I've never used Metalbestos, so my answers may be off base, but it'll give your thread a bump and others can chime in...

I don't know about the adapter in the ceiling support.

I don't think it matters much which end you put the shorty telescoping piece on. Depending on how many joints you have, it might be good to have it on the stove end so you can remove the lower sections of pipe easily. That's sometimes useful for cleaning and/or minor adjustments to stove positioning.

Double-wall fits directly onto some stoves. Try it first and if it needs the adapter, you can get it.

Thanks for the reply! I guess my concern is that this is my first install and first stove... how will I know if it's fit properly. The flue collar seems really shallow, at most it might accept an inch or two of pipe. Is that normal?

An inch seems too shallow. If it's closer to two inches it should be ok. If the inner wall of your stove pipe inserts into the collar and fits snugly it's a good fit. I've never seen one fit too loosely... if it doesn't insert into the collar at all, you'll need the adapter that has a crimped fitting.

I believe there is only one chimney adaptor even though it says for single wall only, it was the same for my supervent. Just make sure the adaptor fits in the top double wall pipe and then its fine. I used the same dsp telescopic pipe and put it closer to the top with a 6" piece above it and a 36" below. I like it at the top so It doesn't interfere with a stack thermometer. I don't have an answer for the last question!

I have Selkirk for my three stoves. I don't know of a "double-wall adapter" for the transition from stovepipe to chimney pipe. The adapter simply slides down inside either single- or double pipe, same adapter unless they've changed the design in the past two years [last time I bought one was Nov. 2011]. The inside diameter of the single- and double-walled pipe is the same, so the adapter works in either.

As far as the stove connection, I don't know your make/model and there are many. Some stove adapters fit down over the stove collar, some fit down inside the collar. I have heard that some stoves accept single-wall pipe without an adapter, though none of mine do. Someone on the forum here will surely know which you will need.

Status
Not open for further replies.