Selkirk Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couch is warm to the touch but I sat there all evening ( granted it was pretty warm there.... but I like it warm lol ). The Madison has good clearance specs all the way around. I didn't run double wall for the horizontal run. The single wall isn't creating a lot of heat on the ceiling likely because It's such a short run. Besides, Canada says single wall is good to 14" of clearance [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Well I'm glad you're confident with your install and I hope you get that shield. Just so we are all clear though Canada is 18's minimum clearance to combustible with uncertified single wall connecting pipe.

B365 6.4.7 states. The minimum clearance for a flue pipe adjacent to a combustible surface shall be 450mm (18"), regardless of whether the surface is covered with non combustible material such as plaster or cement board.

That is the code and the only thing that can supersede that is a certified component like certified double wall connecting pipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneN
B365 6.4.7 states. The minimum clearance for a flue pipe adjacent to a combustible surface shall be 450mm (18"), regardless of whether the surface is covered with non combustible material such as plaster or cement board.

That is the code and the only thing that can supersede that is a certified component like certified double wall connecting pipe.
I probably misread something somewhere. I'm at 16 inches ( 2 inches shy of code ). I'll place a short heat shield in that section. Seems a better option than reducing 3 to 2 to 1. I just need to find a heat shield short enough. Everything seems too big to fit but they reduce clearances to 50%.

3a8d48bc032ef30f91a021e3dd82354a.jpg

79e67f8416d21e0d80501026c49acc90.jpg

14a2d79df2475488e0d84efea8b2e0c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Squisher
I can see how that diagram could be misleading........because it's wrong. If you read through the written part on that guys site/article you will see that he specifies 18" clearance to combustible from single wall, which is correct.

You may have to modify or build a shield to fit your needs. I'd definetly recommend checking in here with your plans on it. And not going by the site you got that picture off.

I'm going to fire that guy off a e-mail about his diagram.

The fellow got right back to me and already edited the numbers out of that pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.