Selkirk SuperVent Installation Begins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do help your buddy put his stove in, please make sure to document the same way you did this one.
I'm not a pro like a lot of these guys are, but this looks like a textbook install to me. Where's Hog? I want his take on the roof work.
Again, well done, and thanks for the documentary. :coolsmile:

PapaDave said:
If you do help your buddy put his stove in, please make sure to document the same way you did this one.
I'm not a pro like a lot of these guys are, but this looks like a textbook install to me. Where's Hog? I want his take on the roof work.
Again, well done, and thanks for the documentary. :coolsmile:

Thanks PapaDave! I was aiming for a clean, professional installation. I'd be interested in any feedback.

ozzy73 said:
Nice clean install. Always good to be on the safe side and go above the min.

Thanks for the complement ozzy73. I'm definitely a "go above the min" kind of guy, especially with clearances to combustibles. This project was a lot of fun. I've got a good amount of construction experience so was able to leverage those skills in this new way. I would love to become an installer.

WoodNStuff said:
ozzy73 said:

Thanks for the complement ozzy73. I'm definitely a "go above the min" kind of guy, especially with clearances to combustibles . This project was a lot of fun. I've got a good amount of construction experience so was able to leverage those skills in this new way. I would love to become an installer.
that's why they call me OVERKILL....lol..fantastic all the way around, you could be an installer, inspector, AND a documentary maker.....keep it coming! I'm almost ready for my final homestrech of my fireplace install too, will do some pics as it progresses but won't be nearly as thorough as yours....hats off to you, WoodNStuff.....

Very good install. Better and neater than most professionals.

davmor said:
amen davmor.....BTW nice woodshed you got there.....building one myself next summer, tired of the tarps....

davmor said:

+1 AWESOME work and documentation WoodNStuff. I am bookmarking this link as a reference for when I finish out our bonus room (maybe begin next summer fingers crossed) and install a stove in it. Great job!

WoodNStuff said:
Step 7: Install universal shielding insulation (JUSI).

The Selkirk Universal Shielding Insulation (part number JUSI) is designed to be placed between the exterior of the class A chimney pipe and the interior of the attic insulation shield. This insulation can also be used in Selkirk's cathedral ceiling support or their wall thimble.

See the box for the JUSI. It lists some of the benefits of the insulation as well as its applications. Notice the small diagram showing the location of the insulation in the attic ceiling support.

See the diagram (FIGURE 6) showing the attic insulation shield. The insulation is placed on the inside of the upper bell, such that the first section of class A chimney pipe can run through it.

Notice the picture of the insulation. Someone from the forums indicated that this is rock wool.

The last picture shows the JUSI installed inside the attic insulation shield. I set the attic insulation shield in a box to support it while adding the insulation.
This is interesting. My Selkirk Super Pro attic insulation shield looks exactly like yours, but there is no mention of glass insulation inside it, around the Class A Chimney.

Scotty Overkill said:
WoodNStuff said:
ozzy73 said:

Thanks for the complement ozzy73. I'm definitely a "go above the min" kind of guy, especially with clearances to combustibles . This project was a lot of fun. I've got a good amount of construction experience so was able to leverage those skills in this new way. I would love to become an installer.
that's why they call me OVERKILL....lol..fantastic all the way around, you could be an installer, inspector, AND a documentary maker.....keep it coming! I'm almost ready for my final homestrech of my fireplace install too, will do some pics as it progresses but won't be nearly as thorough as yours....hats off to you, WoodNStuff.....

Thanks Scotty Overkill. I'll be looking for your pics, etc. from your install. By the way, I'm in the process of installing my heat shield and hearth. I'll soon have a minute or two to begin posting the steps I took to complete them.

tfdchief said:
This is interesting. My Selkirk Super Pro attic insulation shield looks exactly like yours, but there is no mention of glass insulation inside it, around the Class A Chimney.

Well, the parts for Selkirk's Supervent and Super Pro lines are interchangeable. I'd bet they're the same parts with different boxes, labels, etc.

One last pic from the ground.

Attachments

• Another Completed Photo.jpg
    Another Completed Photo.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 488
Stove pipe adaptor installed.

This is the exact setup I have installed with the included adaptor with the kit. The ceiling kit didn't say it was specifically for single or double wall stovepipe. I didn't plan as well and now I'm trying to figure out what adaptor I can use to retrofit DSP onto this without taking the chimney back out. I keep going around in circles looking up info. Can anyone say there is something that I can purchase or do I need to pull the chimney back out?
Thanks

Last edited:
Well done sir. Just did my second install with the Selkirk SuperVent as I too found it to be a quality product at a competitive price. Your carful planning paid off. I find myself always catering to where I want the stove vs where the stove will fit. Both times involved headering off rafters and/or sheeting adjacent trusses to make way for my chimney with proper clearances.

Enjoy the warmth, you have certainly earned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.