Selling stuff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Got a few rooms worth of stuff to unload, everything from furniture to exercise equipment, and not sure the best venue for doing it. I've used Craigslist for many times over the years with great success in the past, but the last few attempts got no replies, despite being good assumedly desirable items. Been just donating most stuff to Purple Heart recently, rather than bothering to deal with buyers, but this time there's a bunch of stuff that I think will cause a problem for them either on pickup or selling/using.

What are you you guys using? How's it working for you?

Looking for local sale options, there's nothing here with a high enough value to weight ratio to make it worth my effort to palletize and arrange freight, and it's all too big for UPS.

If you are willing to sell your soul to facebook, many people have success with Marketplace.

FYI, the is major surplus of home furnishing from older folks downsizing. Young people rarely want old style furniture. They would rather go to Ikea and buy the cheap stuff.

Reactions: Ashful
I’ve had great luck with the low dollar stuff on fb marketplace. People are silly responsive since they’re always on fb and with their name attached to their actions they seem well behaved.

Don’t even bother selling if it’s under 20$. Not worth the risk and the buyers are less committed/excited.

Thanks, guys! I honestly still don't have a FB account that I use or have associated with my name, just one old account created back before they enforced any identity checking, which I use when something really requires it. I guess I could try Marketplace thru that, if that's the way to go. Interesting that neither of your mentioned C'list. Is it as dead as it seemed to me, recently?

I definitely see what you see, Peakbagger. I have helped parents and in-laws downsize, and their houses are full of what they see as expensive antiques, which no one wants anymore. I have lots of stories there, but it's just depressing.

I may call Purple Heart tomorrow, before spending any time on the selling, and see what they want or can take. We do a lot through them already, and it would reduce the load of what needs to be sold. And I hear you on price, Highbeam, not even worth having people come to the house for anything worth less than a few hundred dollars.

The tax deduction is worth something. FB is where I would put the higher $$ items. Price them to move. First on there with cash gets the item. As long as it’s listed the item is still available. No holds or layaways.

I still use both occasionally, and hate them both...but FB has all but killed CL off...I have a bunch of stuff that I need/want to sell, but have been procrastinating due to not wanting to deal with the idiots...it sure seems to me, based off of dealing with people when selling stuff (and sometimes buying too) that the average intelligence level of the general populous is NOT going up...and a very rude/inconsiderate lot too!
If it wasn't for marketplace I'd not have a FB account...I very much despise the organization as a whole.

I avoid selling things like the plague. Because sales is not my strong point. But when I have to, I also don’t have FB, so I do it on CL. I always price things to move, not to get top dollar. I basically do the lowballing first. Even if it’s something for free, I give a thorough description just as if I was selling it. That way I have the best chance of completing the deal without someone changing their mind, or finding a better deal elsewhere and wasting my time.

In Canada we use Kijiji. Similar concept to Craigslist but better.

Otherwise FB Marketplace is probably the best. You're likely going to get a host of undesirable responders whatever service you use.

Thanks, guys! I honestly still don't have a FB account that I use or have associated with my name, just one old account created back before they enforced any identity checking, which I use when something really requires it. I guess I could try Marketplace thru that, if that's the way to go. Interesting that neither of your mentioned C'list. Is it as dead as it seemed to me, recently?

I definitely see what you see, Peakbagger. I have helped parents and in-laws downsize, and their houses are full of what they see as expensive antiques, which no one wants anymore. I have lots of stories there, but it's just depressing.

I may call Purple Heart tomorrow, before spending any time on the selling, and see what they want or can take. We do a lot through them already, and it would reduce the load of what needs to be sold. And I hear you on price, Highbeam, not even worth having people come to the house for anything worth less than a few hundred dollars.

Nobody comes to the house unless the product is large or has a title. I meet at a Home Depot parking lot. Everybody feels safer and it’s easier to find.

If it’s under your threshold for bothering with selling and charity won’t take it do you just landfill it? I hate waste but your time, effort, and risk have value too.

The FB interface is much easier, faster, and more convenient than CL. I use both services. Buying and selling.

I do FB. It’s just us old folks now and it’s a way to keep in touch with distant family and friends. I’m not going to call or visit these people very often but want to know at least something about their lives when I do.

Reactions: tlc1976
Agree, unless it’s not easily transportable, I arrange meeting elsewhere.

BTW, Since I currently refuse to use facebook, I buy on Craigslist mostly for bigger stuff. I use SearchTempest to search for things on multiple Craigslist sites at the same time. The weak part of Craigslist is searching, plenty of crap ads, pop up for anything I search for. I generally ignore the "grab bag" ads where a general photo of a big pile of items and then a list of them with no details means someone is looking for company and wants to wheel and deal.

There are a lot of crappy sellers on Craigslist and reportedly buyers. If its priced well, there is usually a lot of interest, and many sellers seem to set up ads and then get busy with other things and dont respond quickly. Some just leave the ads up forever. There are plenty of folks who know a deal and if the price is good it sells.

There is regional weekly "shopper" in Northern New England, called Uncle Henry's that gained notoriety on low budget cable show several years ago. Its still around but definitely has taken a major hit from online ads.

Reactions: Highbeam
You are not getting decent responses on Craigslist lately because of the economy.

If you can't find a satisfactory way to sell and want to get rid of the stuff, take a look at https://www.freecycle.org/

You can sign up for free to the freecycle in your area. People offer (and request) items. No money is exchanged. It is just a way to pass on or get items that others can use.

I use it all the time to get rid of stuff I don't want/use anymore. I couldn't be bothered with trying to dicker or sell to someone. The stuff I put on is sometimes picked up within hours after I list it.

Letgo used to be a great app. But I think they changed it to something else

There's also 'Ebay' and 'Etsy'...you can put in your listing for "local pickup only" if you choose. My sis-in-law
has crazy good sales on Etsy.

I generally bring the stuff to goodwill type places. Many are hooked up to battered women groups/veterans, etc.

I do not do Salvation Army. I brought many of my father’s things there when he passed. Some/most were dusty as dusting wasn’t his priority. After donation, as I was walking away, I hear their manager start screaming about who accepted the dusty end tables and that they weren’t a cleaning service. Lesson learned. Salvation Army doesn’t want donations.

You are not getting decent responses on Craigslist lately because of the economy.

If you can't find a satisfactory way to sell and want to get rid of the stuff, take a look at https://www.freecycle.org/

You can sign up for free to the freecycle in your area. People offer (and request) items. No money is exchanged. It is just a way to pass on or get items that others can use.

I use it all the time to get rid of stuff I don't want/use anymore. I couldn't be bothered with trying to dicker or sell to someone. The stuff I put on is sometimes picked up within hours after I list it.
By the time you create an ad, photos, and lust the item, plus arrange pickup and interface with a buyer, why not charge for the sale and recover some of those expenses? Easier to burn the furniture.

Depends a bit on what your ultimate goal is. Are you looking to get it gone fast? gone with minimal work? gone for top dollar? (Those three are often at odds with each other!)

Lots of places mentioned above. I've been trying to sell off an apartment load of things from my mom's passing for almost one entire year now. Multiple garage sales, FB listings, CL, consignment, most all/any outlet willing to post a listing. Targeting 5, 10 or in some cases 15 cents on the dollar from 'new' and in many cases that is a pretty hard sell! Usually have to go cheaper.

If you're willing to take photos, write descriptions, make listings, deal with scams, no-shows and dozens of 'do you still have this?' and 'I really want it but cant come for {whatever reason] for three weeks...' Then most any place will eventually sell some items.

You might also consider having an auctioneer come on site depending on how much stuff you have. You obviously have some fees there, but it's more of a turn-key option and will get things gone fast.

By the time you create an ad, photos, and lust the item, plus arrange pickup and interface with a buyer, why not charge for the sale and recover some of those expenses? Easier to burn the furniture.

Always a pyro in the group! LOL. Because if you can't sell it, things like exercise equipment, the OP mentioned, can be hard to dispose of depending on where you live. My garbage P/U service would charge $35 to cart away a typical home exercise equipment piece/station. I just paid $35 to have a Lazy Boy Recliner hauled away that was too old and worn for Freecycle. (I have no local governmental garbage hauling, so I pay $99 a quarter for 1 - 64-gallon garbage can per week. Anything above that, I pay to have taken away. Always nice if someone else comes over and hauls out my junk because they want it, and I don't have to pay to have it hauled away. ;)

Reactions: Highbeam
Depends a bit on what your ultimate goal is. Are you looking to get it gone fast? gone with minimal work? gone for top dollar? (Those three are often at odds with each other!)

Excellent point.

BTW...I tend to laugh at Craigslist ads. Most folks don't have a clue that most of their crap they want to sell isn't worth 50% (probably a generous high) or less to most buyers. They want outrageous money.

I’d bet money there’s more than a few pyros in this group, lol

• Haha
Reactions: Dan Freeman
Some very interesting replies. Let me hit the key points:

1. I've actually had great luck with CL buyers, every one has been a really nice person, and really glad to get whatever I'm selling. I've sold welders, large antique woodworking machines, a sailboat, a trailer, a 64" PTO-driven snowblower, and every one was some nice young guy, doing exactly what we all did starting out, trying to put together a house and shop on a budget. I've only ever bought one thing on CL that I can remember, and the seller wasn't the most friendly person on earth, but it wasn't a real problem.

2. I've avoided meeting in parking lots, because most of the stuff I've sold on CL weighs over 1000 lb., making loading from one truck or trailer to the other a challenge without a tractor or forklift. But this stuff would be easier to do, so thanks for the idea! The only negative here is the occasional non-showing buyer.

3. The stuff won't be landfilled. On the occasion we have something that can't be sold or easily given away, I just burn it outside. It's easier to throw away hinges and drawer slides than entire furniture. But this stuff should all be either donatable or saleable.

4. We arranged a "large pickup" with Purple Heart for next Tuesday, so it seems we're waiting for them to come see what they want. Anything they don't want will go on CL for a week. If that fails, then I guess I'll be looking at setting up a FB account.

5. And yes Corey, the primary goal is just getting it gone fast! I don't really care about getting top dollar, but I'm also not eager to just wholly throw away a few thousand dollars, either. I'm just happy when stuff can go to someone who can use it, even if what I get for it is way below the item's top value. We use Purple Heart a lot, because they come to our house to pick up and they offer tax write-off for eligible items, although I do believe many of the items we have this time are ineligible for write-off (eg. antique furniture).

6. Some of the many rocking or dining chairs may become my new porch chairs, if they're not easily donatable or saleable! The old caned rockers we have on the porch are about done, a kid's butt went thru one last year. The porch is covered, so the stuff may not weather that badly.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
CL is used very little anymore. FB marketplace is where most of the buyers/sellers are.

• Sad
Reactions: Shank and Ashful
I will use searchtempest to check the local area to see if something I want to sell is on CL and how much it is listed for, I will then search Marketplace for that same thing, then list it for that amount or higher on Marketplace. I use my FB account mainly for marketplace and don't have anyone I follow so it is a pretty much for info only, I am not that social.

I am not that social.
You've got 5501 posts here at hearth.com, so you can't be that much a hermit! ;lol

Hey, I posted some bad info above. Purple Heart is just one of the charities that picks up here, but my wife told me the scheduling is actually done thru Operation Green Drop. She manages all of that, it's just my job to get the stuff out to the street/truck. In any case, if anyone comes across this thread and wants to check it out for their own use, you'd apparently want to search on Operation Green Drop, not just Purple Heart.