Selling stuff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Let’s see, that’s 393 posts a year or 33/mo.

So mellow makes 1 a day, lol.

Nobody knows your antisocial!

Lol

Reactions: mellow
I use facebook marketplace for most of my big ticket stuff. My facebook isn't tied to my real name for various reasons (primarily what I do for a living, but other reasons as well), but despite that have no problem selling there if needed and have never had an issue.

For little piddly stuff or stuff I don't want to deal with marketplace for, I collect it all and have a garage sale every summer. I made almost $200 last year in tools that I've retired or rarely use I wanted to unload on, then immediately turned around and invested it on more that on tools that I do need. Lol.

This year I plan on doing the same -- downgrading in areas I don't need in my shop, upgrading in areas I do. Every year we have a garage sale, and every year, we seem to do pretty good. Never underestimate the power of a good garage sale.

dont use craigslist unless you want your kidney missing.
Use facebook marketplace and feel out your buyer before providing your address.
If at all possible, meet in a public location which is difficult with large bulky items.

I guess I should give feedback on what I did:

1. All single items over $500 were sold on Craigslist. No issues, in fact the buyer of the biggest item ended up being someone who now lives on farmland we used to own.

2. All single items or sets under $500 were driven to a local donation center, and dropped off.

3. All items the donation center didn't want were burned or trashed, depending on material content.

Craigslist is definitely "slow", FBMP would have almost surely gotten more replies than I did, but it only takes one reply to sell an item that's priced right!