serious question: what do I tell the kids about Santa Claus?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newatthis

Aug 28, 2014
Charlottesville, VA
I think Santa still lives for another year or two around here. But now that we have a wood stove, my youngest may ask pointed questions about how Santa is going to get into the house now? I want to be ready with an answer!

I think Santa still lives for another year or two around here. But now that we have a wood stove, my youngest may ask pointed questions about how Santa is going to get into the house now? I want to be ready with an answer!

Depending on the age....When my 4 year old asked, I just deflected and misdirected like any good parent. I told him "wow, that's a good question, lets look in the stove..oh yeah, see the hole is waaaay to small to Santa to get thru, but the old one was only a little bigger so how did he fit down that? Hey, Anthony, how does he get the sled to fly? Reindeer don't fly, do they? No? You sure? hmm, maybe he uses magic, right? Hey magic is cool, whoah look at the size of that squirrel in the back yard, he is huge, you know what else is huge? Dragons! Yeah they are so cool, I love things that are cool, you know what else is cool? Ice cream, right? I want some ice cream, how about you? Yeah? Ok lets go fast"

More or less

As we are Jewish, that question has not come up in my house.

I do know, however, that Hanukah Harry has gone modern...he's subcontracting delivery to the Amazon drones. :)

I would say Santa only used the chimney back before we had internet and cell phones, Since he has these now he send a text on the time to leave the door unlocked

If you haven't watched the movie the Santa Clause with Tim Allen do that. Great illustration of how Santa's magic would work on fireplaces of different kinds. My 4 year old accepted that answer with no follow up questions. Good luck.

Reactions: Dakotas Dad
Tell them the truth, Santa moved into Walmart years ago. He doesn't deliver anymore except via Amazon.

I went with magic dust.. and the Santa Clause movie backed me up. ;)

Tell them to ask Santa them self's
Write : Santa Clause
North pole
Canada
HOHOHO
They will get a replay
It is a free service offered by the Canadian Post Office
To kids all over the world

Last edited:
Growing up, we had a Vermont Castings insert in the fireplace. My parent's answer was always "magic" when I asked how Santa got though the stove.

Of course, I still believed at an absurd age. I still remember being around 5 and Dad was reading "The Night Before Christmas" on Christmas Eve when we heard a loud "thump, thump" on the roof, just like two ski's on a sled landing. They used the opportunity to say "Santa is here, get to bed!!" but now they admit that they had no idea what made that noise. But it kept my imagination going for a LONG time after that! I mean, how many kids actually heard Santa land on their roof?!!

Reactions: EncoreInMass
When my kid was 4 she asked us where santa gets all his supplies? There are no trees or trains at the north pole...how does he make all that stuff?
We said "well, what do you think?" and she said "i think he isn't real, he can't be real. It's too impossible." and then she begged us to tell the truth.
We agreed we wouldn't ever flat out lie to her, that way she'll always feel she can trust her parents and trust her instncts...
So after we tell her she says "i knew it had to be you guys...you deserve credit for all those presents!"
Pauses...
"well at least there's still the easter bunny and tooth fairy"
Too. Funny!

When my kid was 4 she asked us where santa gets all his supplies? There are no trees or trains at the north pole...how does he make all that stuff?
We said "well, what do you think?" and she said "i think he isn't real, he can't be real. It's too impossible." and then she begged us to tell the truth.
We agreed we wouldn't ever flat out lie to her, that way she'll always feel she can trust her parents and trust her instncts...
So after we tell her she says "i knew it had to be you guys...you deserve credit for all those presents!"
Pauses...
Too. Funny!

Almost choked on my coffee reading your daughters comments! :)

When my little brothers were about 4 or 5, I was ten or so, they were on the cusp of learning the truth, when, come Christmas morning, there were clear ashy footprints from the insert/fireplace to the tree and all around it, over to the cookies, and back.. Spray snow in a can was a very new thing then, and beyond the concept of a 4 year old world.. :)

Bought Santa another couple years..

My grandfather used to stand outside in the dark and ring some old sleigh bells he had ... and use a deer hoof he had left over from hunting season to make prints in the snow.

Reactions: bassJAM
Pauses...
Too. Funny!

Smart kid at 4 years old! Spocklike (not Dr. Spock, the Vulcan Spock)

Here's what we did last year-my daughter wasn't totally getting it (she was only two) but I let the fire die on Christmas Eve and once the stove was cold we left milk and cookies for Santa and carrots for the reindeer in front of the door with the door cracked. A little nibble on the carrots, eat the cookies, drink the milk, leave a note and the illusion is complete! Once they get a little more sophisticated I'm going to bring out the big guns and put my trail cam out for santa, dress up in a Santa suit and get "caught in the act" so the kids can look at the picture the next morning.

Can't remember when I lost the "magic" of Christmas and Santa but I can remember going to Kelly's Country Store on Grand Island, NY. The back room was Santa's toy shop with antique, vintage and new toy displays. Santa (old Mr. Kelly with a real beard and belly) used to come down the chimney to the ringing of old harness bells, sit in his big chair and visit with the kids - giving him their wish list. Took my nephews there and my oldest children before moving away too far. His son followed in his black boots and beard but it just wasn't the same... Mr. Kelly clearly enjoyed his job just as much as the kids enjoyed visiting him ;lol

The added attraction was they had a 12' counter filled with glass candy jars - fire balls, spearmint leaves, anise squares, mexican hats, fish, jujubes, peach stones, etc. A separate counter for the chocolates. The candle room always smelled so good too. Went back with two of my girls (20 and 23 yo). We snuck into Santa's workshop just so they could get an idea. The place has always had small antiques hanging in the rafters (parasols, lace up leather boots, skate blades) and scattered around inside the building and outside on the porch are larger ones - victrolas, early "movie" machines, wicker baby buggies, steel bathtub, old stoves... One of the original one room schoolhouses was moved on site and restored too.

http://kellyscountrystore.com/

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Status
Not open for further replies.