Settings on an American Harvest 6039

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Reefwonders

Nov 11, 2010
Mid-Michigan(Munith)
This the first time I ran the stove straight for over 24hrs. The glass was almost completely black and the burn pot seems to full to overflowing. I read in the manual that it comes set from the factory to burn corn,so does that mean something on the control panel needs to be set to burn pellets. In 24 hrs it used a little over one bag of ProPellets. Thanks in advance for the help.

IMAG0083.jpg

The pot still in cool down mode. It usually takes over an hour for the circulating fan to stop. Hope this helps. The agitator does run after the auger dumps in pellets. Not noticing much smoke coming out of stack after its up to temp.

To be blunt, that burn pot is a mess.....no way it should be like that, even after shut-down.

Is the stirrer in the burn pot actually working?

I'm thinking either you don't have enough burn air, or the control board needs to be re-set for pellets. Is there any adjustments mentioned in the owners manual about this??

IMO, the fuel feed needs to be turned down, and the burn air turned up. Clean out that burn pot completely before trying any adjustments.

Oh, btw....if you need help with the stove from someone that actually owns one, try sending a PM to forum member "Schoondog"....he has the same stove. Great guy and I'm sure could help you out with settings of the control board.

This a NEW stove, correct?

We have a member here named schoondog and he has a 6039. Send him a PM maybe he can help ya!

I didn't see anything in the manual for pellet/corn setting. But there is some adjustments you could try. Hold the B button and then press the Up arrow to add more air. Then try the A button
and the down arrow to reduce the fuel.

From the manual

Adjusting the Air/Fuel Mixture
The two adjustments necessary for proper air/fuel mixture are the combustion air/blower setting and the auger run time setting. These two
adjustments are the basis for allowing this model the ability to burn many types of fuel in many different installations.
The auger run time adjustment is made by pressing the “A” button and adjusting the nine variables up or down as necessary. This allows the user
ultimate control of the amount of fuel delivered. Increasing the number displayed, feeds more fuel and lowering the number deceases the fuel.
When adjustments are needed for the Combustion air/blower, press “B” and adjust up or down as required. The adjustments made here are
saved automatically and applied to all nine heat ranges. Even though all nine heat ranges are affected, the lower ranges are adjusted the most.
These adjustments allow, “tweaking” your unit for maximum efficiency.

***Note: On some models the “A” and “B” buttons are deactivated from the factory.***
If activation of “A” and “B” is necessary
• Step 1 turn unit “ON”.
• Step 2 Press and hold the Blower “UP” arrow and the Heat range “DOWN” arrow at the same time for 5 seconds. In most cases, you will see
the numbers displayed in the heat range window and blower window blink. Then release the buttons and press “A” or “B” buttons to check
activation. When activated, pressing either button will display a light above that letter and display a single digit in the blower speed window. The
heat range window will be blank. If not activated, repeat the Step 1.

The stirer is working. By the time the fan shuts off the pot is just about or completely empty. There isn't much about the setting in the manual. I'll try what the manual says to do though.

Wow you guys are really fast. Thanks so much.

So I should turn up the air and turn down the feed.

imacman its a used unit. Per my friend he only ran 10bags through. He was running mostly corn,but it was a mixture.

pete, We must of been typing at the same time.:) hehe

Where our old buddy schoondog been? Haven't seen hide no hair of him in a while now!

Reefwonders said:
So I should turn up the air and turn down the feed.

imacman its a used unit. Per my friend he only ran 10bags through. He was running mostly corn,but it was a mixture.

And it was completely opened up & cleaned, correct?

As for the adjustments, yes, turn the air up some, and the fuel feed down some.

Go a little at a time and let the stove settle itself out on each setting before changing it again. I'd say let the stove run for about 45 minutes after each change to see what happens.

j-takeman said:
pete, We must of been typing at the same time.:) hehe

Where our old buddy schoondog been? Haven't seen hide no hair of him in a while now!

LOL....yep, great minds think alike!

Yep, last time I "spoke" to Schoon, he said he was very busy (work) and couldn't join us on the forum too much.

Yep it was completely cleaned. My friend showed me how and to use some tubing to get in all the book and crannys.

I have one of these. What setting are you running it at?

Mine right now is at heat range 3, room fan 9, draft fan 2, auger speed 1.

That heats my downstairs which is about 1,300 sq feet.

Draft is pulled out about an inch to where you have a campfire-looking flame.

Scoop said:

There's an adjustment for draft air on the control board AND manually too?? YIKES :gulp: ....Holy Complicated Adjustments Batman!

I have one of these. There is no separate corn setting for this stove. You do have an automatic option-the button at the far right of the board.. That is a good place to start, with the manual draft pulled out about an inch.

This is a very flexible stove which allows you to burn your fuel very efficiently when you get onto it.

What settings are you using?

at the moment im running mine at 3,9,2,1 (left to right on the board). At this setting my stove would run about 18 hours on a bag.

imacman said:
Scoop said:

There's an adjustment for draft air on the control board AND manually too?? YIKES :gulp: ....Holy Complicated Adjustments Batman!

This stove allows unlimited variations on your burning conditions. I'm in my third season with the 6039 and I love it. There is a manual draft under the burn pot and the setting on the board is your draft fan.

[quote author="Scoop" date="1289890984"]I have one of these. What setting are you running it at?

Draft is pulled out about an inch to where you have a campfire-looking flame.[
/quote]

I have mine set just like yours now. How does you glass look after 12hrs of running?

Hey folks I'M HERE. Sorry I haven't been here much , working and It's hunting season !!! Reefwonders your problem has to be that the draft damper is closed to much. As scoop said his is out about an inch. The draft damper is nothing more than a manual damper right under the burn pot. The lever is directly in the center of stve right under door. Clean out the burn pot, put in a few handfuls of pellets, some starter jell or hit the pellets with propane torch for a minute to get em goin and close door. Hit the on button after a minute and I just leave mine on auto and heat range 2 (HR-2) on LED. Now pull that lever in center of stove out an inch or more. You should see flame dance and see some sparks coming from burn pot. Once pellets are fully lit you can play with that damper all you want, just be sure its out at leat 3/4 to1" If you are not getting the desired effect pulling out the damper lever than perhaps you are having problem with combustion blower or clog in chimney/vent. If you are burning pellets I just leave mine on auto and let her eat. Of course you can put the stove in many configurations and get many different burns. If the stove reads HR for heat ranges and not CR than its set up for pellets or pellets/corn mix and not 100% corn. The only time I've ever seen my stove do what your stove did is when someone accidently hit the damper in all the way and let it run for a few hours before we noticed. Also be sure the 2 plates at the rear at either side of burn pot are there and closed and be sure the 2 clean outs are closed on bottom of chamber. If the combustion fan doesn't work you should be getting an error code 7 I believe. Also we can try performing the factory tests if you believe the draft (combustion) fan is not working. Lets see what happens.

Schoondog

Using a phone to surf can have its UPS and downs.

Scoop, I have mine set like yours now. How's your glass after 12 hrs of running?

Reefwonders said:
Scoop said:

Draft is pulled out about an inch to where you have a campfire-looking flame.[
/quote]

I have mine set just like yours now. How does you glass look after 12hrs of running?

It''s all in the setting of the manual draft under the burn pot. The lazier the flame the more soot you'll get on the glass. It's like fine tuning a guitar, you need just the right touch to minimize the soot.

So if there is a lot of soot pull the draft out a bit further and get a more active flame. But keep in mind all pellet stoves are going to deposit some soot unless you burn them really hot.

Schoondog, That's what it was,the damper was closed. Thanks everyone for all the info,so fast.

It's putting out a lot more heat now. Thanks once again to all that held my hand through this. :)

Reefwonders said:
Schoondog, That's what it was,the damper was closed. Thanks everyone for all the info,so fast.

Sweeeet. Once you get used to it as Scoop said it is infintly adjustable and will burn almost anything including grass pellets. I really like mine and hope you have good luck with yours.

Schoondog

Schoondog, I know about being busy and wanting to hunt. I walk out the back door to hunt and still too busy. I have at my disposal my 5 acres of woods and 30 more of woods connected to mine and 100 of farm fields.

schoondog said:
Reefwonders said:

Sweeeet. Once you get used to it as Scoop said it is infintly adjustable and will burn almost anything including grass pellets. I really like mine and hope you have good luck with yours.

Schoondog

Schoondog to the rescue!! Good catch there bud. ;-)