Severely overgrown apple trees,,turn them back to fruit producers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming he doesnt want to pull out massive stumps

Grafting works well if you know what you're doing and you're willing to wait, but slow growing trees are the norm in the colder climes. It would likely take double the time that you are used to waiting for a tree to bear fruit. If it were me, I'd likely let them stand and enjoy them for what they are.

Reactions: Dune
Ok,,thanks for the advice guys.
Some will need to be removed then. I don't remove stumps...i'll just cut them low and let nature take its course.

I might just hack one of them off at the 1/2 point and see what happens. Call it an experiment. I will also read those articles to learn more about grafting and splicing.

Thanks guys

Looks like I've got some work to do...
upload_2015-4-19_17-14-50.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It's getting late now. Maybe start with a first pruning in July. Get rid of crossing branches and open up the middle of the tree. Follow up with another pruning in Jan/Feb of next year.

Reactions: semipro
Looks like I've got some work to do...
View attachment 157243

I would cut that big one up for firewood and start over plant semi-dwarfs that you don't need a bucket truck or tall ladders to spray every weekend and pick.
By the time you get that monster down to a manageable size you could plant two young semis in the same space and be getting apples already.
Most of the orchards around here are slowly removing their old full size apple trees and planting half size or smaller to utilize smaller equipments with just more density per acre.

I would cut that big one up for firewood and start over plant semi-dwarfs that you don't need a bucket truck or tall ladders to spray every weekend and pick.
By the time you get that monster down to a manageable size you could plant two young semis in the same space and be getting apples already.
Most of the orchards around here are slowly removing their old full size apple trees and planting half size or smaller to utilize smaller equipments with just more density per acre.
Good point. This tree has been a good producer with zero maintenance and no pesticides used. The out-of-reach apples eventually fall and the deer scarf them up.

We have a few old trees like that. I wouldn't give them up for anything. They produce boxes of great fruit of an older variety that is relatively disease and bug free. They also provide great shade and beauty and the apples make great cider.

Your tree appears to have good vigor and basic shape. With proper pruning it can continue to produce well and be a focal point for the orchard and shade for the seating area. But if this more of an out of way place and you want easier picking then replacing the tree with a grafted dwarf may be desirable. Deer love smaller trees too, easy picking for them.

Last edited:
I dropped one this weekend with a 15" diameter trunk.

Holy cow is that tough wood to split. 20 hits with a 10lb maul and almost nothing. I had to switch back to some oak just to make sure my testicles hadn't left my body.

It is like one big knot. I put it all in the "someday when I own a splitter" pile.

We have a few old trees like that. I wouldn't give them up for anything. They produce boxes of great fruit of an older variety that is relatively disease and bug free. They also provide great shade and beauty and the apples make great cider.

Hmmm.....Winesap?

Status
Not open for further replies.