Sharpen your splitting axe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcdougy

Minister of Fire
Apr 15, 2014
ontario
Is there any benefit from a sharp spitting axe? In my case a x27. I see a few pieces are missing from my edge.....kinda like an ok forged in fire strength test.... does anyone keep their axe in tip top shape for sharpness and see a big difference? I could see the necessity with a felling axe or hatchet/limping axe. Does a sharp blunt force trauma tool excel?

20201230_222942.jpg

The x 27 needs some pretty regular sharpening--especially if you are hitting dirt and rock. I usually use a short chopping block (about a 4-6 inch round) placed down in a couple tires when possible.

I don't get too fussy about sharpening. A fine, flat file works well to bring the edge back. I bought a new one a few years back (haven't used it yet), but it is about an inch and a half longer than the one I started using in 2007. The older, and somewhat shorter, X27 still works just fine after more than 70 cords of wood split.

Reactions: mcdougy
The x 27 needs some pretty regular sharpening--especially if you are hitting dirt and rock. I usually use a short chopping block (about a 4-6 inch round) placed down in a couple tires when possible.

I don't get too fussy about sharpening. A fine, flat file works well to bring the edge back. I bought a new one a few years back (haven't used it yet), but it is about an inch and a half longer than the one I started using in 2007. The older, and somewhat shorter, X27 still works just fine after more than 70 cords of wood split.
I ran a flat file across it and brought an edge back. Managed to even cut my finger doing it....im usually/hopefully splitting on snow so rocks aren't too bad in general. That picture is a never sharpened edge that pounded over 25 chord. It may help being sharp if I get back to some of the white oak thats available. 20 chords have been ash and it blew apart easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: D8Chumley and Prof
Axe...yes. Maul...not so much. Or at least that was the old school theory.

Just clean it up with a flat file as others have mentioned. Unless you are carving or doing precision work then you won't need to do anything else.

Reactions: Alpine1
I have been using the same maul since the early 70's. I have never sharpened it.
It would make a difference, but not as much as sharpening a splitting axe.

Sharp vs dull ? I will take sharp over dull anyday! Sharp equals less swings wether it be a maul or axe...

I sharpen my splitting axe regularly - I don't think there is a disadvantage, and tinkering in my garage/shop is a good way to keep me sane...

I have huge Dings in my old school light maul. I like it dull, my reasoning is i never want it to get stuck. I only bring 1 maul and 1 chainsaw when i go cutting. Maybe if sharp it could be a bit better but i'm not so sure. A stuck axe or maul would shut me down for the day. Yeah i know i could bring more stuff but simple works for me. If it does get stuck the chainsaw will have to get it out. Think it happened 1 or 2 times in 20+ years.

Reactions: Montanalocal
There is a difference between a maul and a (splitting) axe.

There is a difference between a maul and a (splitting) axe.
Yes, just putting in my 2 cents. I don't use a splitting axe. But my maul is not much heavier than a splitting axe. I do use an axe to split some pine kindling and i really don't like it at all. Gets stuck all the time and i end up with the maul again. I've also had some close calls on the axe and the maul kicking out. Scary near misses to the body. Happens way more with the axe that gets 1/100th the use time the maul does.

Last edited:
Reactions: stoveliker
Yes, just putting in my 2 cents. I don't use a splitting axe. But my maul is not much heavier than a splitting axe. I do use an axe to split some pine kindling and i really don't like it at all. Gets stuck all the time and i end up with the maul again. I've also had some close calls on the axe and the maul kicking out. Scary near misses to the body. Happens way more with the axe that gets 1/100th the use time the maul does.
You gotta try a fiskars x27 axe....I bet you don't bring the maul much longer

Reactions: Prof
I still use both. X27 when possible, maul when needed.

K gonna go split with it a my buddies place. He loves it.