Shasta Vent Double Wall Stainless Chimney pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My only question is on the flashing vent. The large gap here seems to me would let the pipe sway back and forth. Do you crimp the metal to make it tighter in or is my vent flashing too big? The old pipe fit tight in its flashing.

0930181629_resized.jpg

My only question is on the flashing vent. The large gap here seems to me would let the pipe sway back and forth. Do you crimp the metal to make it tighter in or is my vent flashing too big? The old pipe fit tight in its flashing.

View attachment 230149
Its fine the way it is the flashing is just there to keep water out not for any sort of support. But when you put the storm collar on it will keep it from moving a little bit.

Its fine the way it is the flashing is just there to keep water out not for any sort of support. But when you put the storm collar on it will keep it from moving a little bit.
I thought it was you that said that you screw the top of the flashing to the pipe for added support? I will look back maybe it was someone else.

I thought it was you that said that you screw the top of the flashing to the pipe for added support? I will look back maybe it was someone else.
No that was webby i think. I dont like doing that because it doesnt allow for expansion when the pipe is heated. It would probably be fine but no manual i have read calls for it and the pipe need to be able to expand.

why not just use a little high temp silicone to fill the gap and keep it from swaying?

why not just use a little high temp silicone to fill the gap and keep it from swaying?
On all of the ones i install they are fine. They either short sit in the support box well enough to keep it stable or they are taller and have extra supports

Thought I would update this.

I have had no problems. I am happy with the pipe. I did the firebox swap and all the pipe myself (my first time installing). Paid a roofer 200 to do top flashing. Its had at least 12 cord through it by now.