Shed near well?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

snaple4

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2017
AR
I’m starting to design and buy material for a wood shed. Most of the land available for a shed is either next to or uphill of our well. Is there any worry about processing and storing wood near our well?

if it is a concern then I’ll have to put the shed a long ways from the house in a somewhat more shaded area.

I can't think of a single reason. Is it drilled are a point well?

If it's drilled just make sure there is enough room around it so the guys have room to work.

It is a 4” drilled well with cap. No dog house. Pressure tank is in house.

I had always heard you have to be careful not to have any chemicals or anything within 100’ of well. Wasn’t sure if stacked wood could be a problem with water quality.

If you’re using pressure treated wood it may have an impact depending on how deep your well is. In my location contaminants need to be 70ft. I have an old dug well that’s only 20ft deep though. If you’re worried just use cedar for all the parts closest to the ground.

No idea how it is in other areas of the USA, but here in NH, my well is pushing 500 feet deep.

You'll be fine throwing a wood shed closer to your well. You'd be fine if you built the thing right on top (don't of course).

Reactions: jaoneill
Be sure to post no-pooping signs for the wild critters .

Reactions: tadmaz
Just leave about 4-6 feet clear around the well casing. I wouldn't be using excessive chemicals in the area.

No idea how it is in other areas of the USA, but here in NH, my well is pushing 500 feet deep.

You'll be fine throwing a wood shed closer to your well. You'd be fine if you built the thing right on top (don't of course).
My drilled well here is only 42 feet but it’s the best water and the shallowest I’ve had from the 3 wells I’ve had. This one has nearly zero iron in the water and up here in the land of iron mines it can be a problem.

Do you live in north arkansas....lots of limestone? If so i wouldnt worry about it because its probably around 400 feet deep at least. I mean i wouldnt go dump a gallon of gas or oil by your well but most aquifers are tied together in some extent anyways so unless you dont have any neighbors in nearby area then whatever they are doing will effect your water as well. I dont think a shed or processing wood is gunna hurt i guess is what im sayin. Now if you live in southern arkansas i dunno...i would guess water table is shallow there with no real filtering sub structure similar to limestone but im not a geologist either.

Do you live in north arkansas....lots of limestone? If so i wouldnt worry about it because its probably around 400 feet deep at least. I mean i wouldnt go dump a gallon of gas or oil by your well but most aquifers are tied together in some extent anyways so unless you dont have any neighbors in nearby area then whatever they are doing will effect your water as well. I dont think a shed or processing wood is gunna hurt i guess is what im sayin. Now if you live in southern arkansas i dunno...i would guess water table is shallow there with no real filtering sub structure similar to limestone but im not a geologist either.

yep, NW Arkansas area. Also, was told well is around 425’ deep. Slight odd taste but doesn’t smell or have anything floating in it (except after a heavy rain I pickup a bunch of black stuff in the pre-filter I put in. I need to have it tested for for bacteria again.

thank you everyone for your input. Looks like I will have it about 25 yards or so from the well. Maybe closer but depends on what the wife says. Hope to start something in a month or two.

Slight odd taste but doesn’t smell or have anything floating in it (except after a heavy rain I pickup a bunch of black stuff in the pre-filter I put in.

Sounds like runoff entering your well. Probably from a spring or creek nearby. Lots of caves or "bear holes" ....as my father would call em....in our area. I live just north east of springfield and occasionaly have same thing happen.

If you're at 400+ feet you have nothing to worry about. Mine is around 100'. It's drilled through solid limestone, we live in a valley. Best water money can buy!