Shed roof over racks; long side or short side slope?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougstove

Feeling the Heat
Aug 7, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Hi;
I am going to build racks based upon pallets on concrete blocks, with retainer posts bedded separately at the ends.
I am thinking to put stringers to connect the retainer posts, to support a shed roof.
Most of the versions I see on here have the angle of the shed roof on the short side.
Is there a reason?
I was thinking to make the angle on the long side of the roof.
The roofing material I have is 10' x 4', so I was thinking of a slope on the 10' side, with 8' stringers span between posts, and 1' overhang.
Do people put the slope on the short side to get a steeper angle?
What am I missing?
cheers, Doug

How tall would the high side have to be to get a snow shedding angle? I think that's what you're missing.

Edit: Also how much weather protection would the tall side of the roof give?

Kind of a personal preference if all else is equal considering strength, stability, etc.. I think the short side slope is going to look nicer so if this is a shed that will be visible from the house or road I would definitely go with the short slope. If it is hidden from view and just to protect the future wood - go with the easy long slope so you don't need to cut the deck.

Another option is to run the deck along the length of the roof but the pitch front to back. If you slightly tilt the deck it will shed rain and snow enough to protect the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.