Sheet metal reflector under insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MJSullivan56

Nov 10, 2022
Boston MA
My exterior wall chimney will be getting a new wood-burning fireplace insert in about a month. I've added custom-fitted 1/2" ceramic fiber board to the sides and back of the firebox in order to reduce the insert sending waste heat to the exterior bricks. My thought was should I also add a galvanized sheet metal reflector to the base of the firebox in order to reflect a bit more of the heat back to the insert? Or would that be overkill?

IMG_5301.jpeg

It would be overkill and negligibly effective. The insert cabinet already has a bottom metal pan and air cavity separating it from the hearth.

Reactions: MJSullivan56
Which there will be (apparently required in Massachusetts)
I didn't know this. This is in the damper area for an insulated liner running the full length of the chimney?