Shopping for a new wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That is your dealer not regency. Their cat pricing is in the same range as other manufacturers.
Interesting. When this all went down I looked on the 2 websites that I was told basically were the 2 exclusive manufacturers making wood stove cats. The size cat that’s in my 3500 (at the time) was unavailable anywhere but with a regency dealer. I paid over $700 Canadian. That didn’t seem like the norm, at the time for any of the cats on the websites I saw. If this isn’t the case now please let me know! Thank you.

Interesting. When this all went down I looked on the 2 websites that I was told basically were the 2 exclusive manufacturers making wood stove cats. The size cat that’s in my 3500 (at the time) was unavailable anywhere but with a regency dealer. I paid over $700 Canadian. That didn’t seem like the norm, at the time for any of the cats on the websites I saw. If this isn’t the case now please let me know! Thank you.
I just put one in a 5100 for a customer total bill was about $400 us

Reactions: Hydrant
I just put one in a 5100 for a customer total bill was about $400 us
So I’d like to know, was this a regency part? Is there a manufacturer that the regency cat (size) can be purchased from directly, such as the BK cats? By saying put in was there a install fee included? Sorry for the barrage of questions I’m just interested in getting to the bottom of my experience. Thanks again!

So I’d like to know, was this a regency part? Is there a manufacturer that the regency cat (size) can be purchased from directly, such as the BK cats? By saying put in was there a install fee included? Sorry for the barrage of questions I’m just interested in getting to the bottom of my experience. Thanks again!
Yes I am a regency dealer I ordered it from regency. I installed it when I cleaned the chimney so I didn't charge an extra installation fee. I honestly don't know if they are available direct to the consumer I have never had reason to check.

Yes I am a regency dealer I ordered it from regency. I installed it when I cleaned the chimney so I didn't charge an extra installation fee. I honestly don't know if they are available direct to the consumer I have never had reason to check.
I’m told that condar makes most wood stove combustion cats. When searching their website just now it appears most of the replacement blaze king cats are way less expensive directly from them. Like 250$ish usd for a similar rectangle size, but not exactly the size needed. So that’s the reason I dug around, and even emailed them and another manufacturer of cats to see if the size cat that my 3500 was available directly. Unfortunately at the time last summer the size that’s in the 3500 was unavailable anywhere but regency. Admittedly what I paid at my local dealer could have been slightly inflated, and importation could have been partially at fault for the delay but having more than one source for a needed part/maintenance item is, in my opinion always a tik in the pro column when making a big purchase decision.
All that being said I will add once again that I love my stove. oes a hell of
A job heating my home, the burn times are great, the hybrid cat tube design keeps the glass way cleaner than 100% cat stoves, and it looks beautiful.

www.firecatcombustors.com
This link will take you to Midwest Hearth. To the very best of my knowledge, only 1 US stove manufacturer acquires their cats from Asia. All the others use cats from Applied Ceramics (both metal & ceramic) or Clariant. Both are US based.

Midwest Hearth sells combustors made by Applied Ceramics. Condar purchases their combustors from Applied as well (or at least they did at one time.)

Reactions: Hydrant
www.firecatcombustors.com
This link will take you to Midwest Hearth. To the very best of my knowledge, only 1 US stove manufacturer acquires their cats from Asia. All the others use cats from Applied Ceramics (both metal & ceramic) or Clariant. Both are US based.

Midwest Hearth sells combustors made by Applied Ceramics. Condar purchases their combustors from Applied as well (or at least they did at one time.)

your the man! There is is! Way cheaper! I’m going to order a spare to have on hand. Thank you for that!

Reactions: Highbeam and BKVP
We are 20y+ with a Quadrafire 3100 Step Top and are looking for a replacement. House is 1550 on each level rancher, stove is in insulated basement at foot of stairs. We like the house warm and would like to use the tax credit.

However, we are gunshy on Vermont Castings Defiant because we can't find reviews from owners hardly at all (of the latest 2019-2020, 2021 models) and have read about past models higher maintenance needs. We will do all installation, maintenance, etc. but are getting older. Looking for top load (but that sounds unlikely if we don't get VC), also good heating throughout house (we mostly live upstairs), with good efficiency and long burn time (large firebox, min. 3.5?).

We insulated and finished the basement ceiling a few years ago and the upstairs has never been as warm since. We did put a vent above stove which helps.

Looking at Quadrafire 5700 (no tax credit/non-catalytic) because we've liked our 3100 for 20+years. Blaze King Princess (don't want to change to 8" pipe for King - we'd prefer King other than that) and still hoping that maybe the VC Defiant is now reliable?

We'd love some suggestions, thoughts, feedback - newbie - thanks!

Is the stove in the basement? Why was the basement ceiling insulated? Can it be removed?

As for stoves that make the tax credit, also look at the Regency F3500.

Reactions: kennyp2339 and JCJ
The insulation won't be removed and it was for noise and sound. Also, yes stove is in the basement, has a vent over it and is near the stair opening for airflow. Looking at the Regency F3500 now. Thank yoU

Looking at Quadrafire 5700 (no tax credit/non-catalytic) because we've liked our 3100 for 20+years. Blaze King Princess (don't want to change to 8" pipe for King - we'd prefer King other than that) and still hoping that maybe the VC Defiant is now reliable?
To me it looks like there have been a few tweaks to the defiant to make it burn cleaner, but the same refractory is located on the rear wall of the stove, unprotected from the constant splits hitting it while loading / burning down, plus a spot for wood ash to get sucked into on the down draft due to cat placement, so it doesnt look like anything substantially changed.

Reactions: JCJ
Some models were tested as "catalytic" and also tested as "non catalytic". I recall the marketing stuff said 2 in 1. Check out test reports, which are required to be posted to mfg websites.

IIRC, the specs I looked at for the Dauntless had >75% HHV for both methods of operation cat or non-cat, but I only see the cat results for the Encore and Defiant.

IIRC, the specs I looked at for the Dauntless had >75% HHV for both methods of operation cat or non-cat, but I only see the cat results for the Encore and Defiant.
Good work!

We appreciate all your research (wow!), information and feedback. We are going to look at Regency F3500. Dealer said all the top loaders went away as they couldn't meet the catalytic/emissions/efficiency requirements. Thanks, keep the advice coming!

Reactions: kennyp2339
We appreciate all your research (wow!), information and feedback. We are going to look at Regency F3500. Dealer said all the top loaders went away as they couldn't meet the catalytic/emissions/efficiency requirements. Thanks, keep the advice coming!
I've done some research on those stoves to, they seem very stout and are serious heaters with good craftsmanship, @bholler is a regency dealer himself and installs many of those stoves.

3500s are very nice stoves. There were a few hiccups when they introduced the pro line but they addressed them and the stoves have worked very well after that.

And there are still Vermont castings top loaders. I just am not a fan of them.

3500s are very nice stoves. There were a few hiccups when they introduced the pro line but they addressed them and the stoves have worked very well after that.

And there are still Vermont castings top loaders. I just am not a fan of them.
Say, bholler.. forgive me for jumping on mid-stream here but can you tell me why you're not a fan of VC top loaders (or VC stoves in general)? We're thinking about buying a Defiant but folks seem really leery about VC stoves. What's the deal?? What is the "down draft" everyone talks about? I have some literature on VC w/ some decent illustrations and the closest thing I can find resembling a "down draft" is how the smoke has to travel up and then down and then up again before leaving the fire box..? Thanks for your time.. eager to hear what you think.

Say, bholler.. forgive me for jumping on mid-stream here but can you tell me why you're not a fan of VC top loaders (or VC stoves in general)? We're thinking about buying a Defiant but folks seem really leery about VC stoves. What's the deal?? What is the "down draft" everyone talks about? I have some literature on VC w/ some decent illustrations and the closest thing I can find resembling a "down draft" is how the smoke has to travel up and then down and then up again before leaving the fire box..? Thanks for your time.. eager to hear what you think.
VC has improved their stoves in recent years. But they are still behind the rest of the industry in durability and ease of use. That is for their down draft models. They do have others that are much better

VC has improved their stoves in recent years. But they are still behind the rest of the industry in durability and ease of use. That is for their down draft models. They do have others that are much better
Which models are down draft models? I asked the guy at the wood stove dealership about VC down draft and he was perplexed.. curious if the Defiant is down draft.

Which models are down draft models? I asked the guy at the wood stove dealership about VC down draft and he was perplexed.. curious if the Defiant is down draft.
Yes any of their top loaders are. If the dealer didn't know that term they are very new to the industry. It has been used commonly for decades

When you speak to "durability" are you talking about the proprietary, ceramic inserts in VC stoves? I imagine a lotta folks might go crazy loading a topload stove and maybe crack these components..

When you speak to "durability" are you talking about the proprietary, ceramic inserts in VC stoves? I imagine a lotta folks might go crazy loading a topload stove and maybe crack these components..
Those and the combustion chamber behind the panels in the back of the stove. And all of those parts are very expensive