Short vertical vent run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IrishMountain

Oct 30, 2021
South Eastern Pennsylvania
Im getting ready to install a used Harman P61A I just purchased and I have a question about the exhaust pipe run. The manual for Harman recommends at least 5 foot vertical run and the Duravent kit recommends a 3 foot vertical run. I’m replacing a direct vent gas fireplace and would prefer to use the existing hole if I can. The hole is about 3 foot high and the vertical run will probably be slightly less than 3 feet since the clean out and vertical run will be inside. Do you think this will be a problem or should I be cutting a new hole? Thanks!

Vertical run is a suggestion. It will aid in evacuating smoke in case of a power outage. I use one of the UPS's reccommended in my mannual for my stoves . When the stove detects it is running off the battery, it will start the shut down process pulsing the exhaust blower to evacuate smoke while not draining the battery to fast. Works fine for me.

Reactions: SidecarFlip