Should I avoid a cat stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That is exactly it. The problem on my non-cat furnace is inadequate draft.
There are a few of us that have run many stoves including good modern noncats and good modern cat stoves. Most of us may have our preference but can see the strengths in both

There are a few of us that have run many stoves including good modern noncats and good modern cat stoves. Most of us may have our preference but can see the strengths in both
Advantage of a non-cat stove is not having to spend the money or labor to replace the catalyst. Anything else? Granted, that is one really big advantage. Plus more steady performance, whereas a cat will perform great when new and and some point suffer gradual deterioration in performance.

It seems that they are just two different ways of achieving secondary combustion (cat and non-cat). Apparently some people now are looking into developing stoves that use BOTH secondary air tubes (like a non-cat) AND also a catalyst... for potentially even better performance. That is interesting.

Advantage of a non-cat stove is not having to spend the money or labor to replace the catalyst. Anything else? Granted, that is one really big advantage. Plus more steady performance, whereas a cat will perform great when new and and some point suffer gradual deterioration in performance.
There are many advantages to noncats. Not spending $200 to $300 every few years is one. But just simplicity is another. If you have a higher btu load you really won't see the benifits of a cat in most cases so why spend the money.

It seems that they are just two different ways of achieving secondary combustion (cat and non-cat). Apparently some people now are looking into developing stoves that use BOTH secondary air tubes (like a non-cat) AND also a catalyst... for potentially even better performance. That is interesting.
There are way more than 2 ways to achieve clean combustion. A cat is one. Noncat is everything else. Typically when we talk about noncats here we are talking about tube stoves or some variation on that.

And hybrids using both secondary air and cats have been around for decades but there is a new push for them with the new 2020 regs

There are many advantages to noncats. Not spending $200 to $300 every few years is one. But just simplicity is another. If you have a higher btu load you really won't see the benifits of a cat in most cases so why spend the money.

There are way more than 2 ways to achieve clean combustion. A cat is one. Noncat is everything else. Typically when we talk about noncats here we are talking about tube stoves or some variation on that.

And hybrids using both secondary air and cats have been around for decades but there is a new push for them with the new 2020 regs

Catalysts stink. Non-cat stoves rule.
Oops. Non-cat stoves stink. Catalysts rule.
Ooops. They both stink.

Hahaha.

Just as life and everything in it is meaningless... and therefore (quite paradoxically) every single thing is ultimately and completely meaningful:

Catalytic and non-catalytic stoves can both can be good depending on design, application, installation, etc. etc. etc.
We have come full circle.

Thanks for the input everyone!

I called around and here is what’s in stock nearby:

Lopi Evergreen
PE Alderlea T5 & T6
BK Ashford 30
Jotul F45, F55, F500 V3
Hearthstone Shelburne & Heritage

Seems like there’s something in there that will work - any thoughts? Is the T6/BK 30 too large for my space?
I know you did not list it as available, but I learned the PE Super 27 is the Alderlea T5 without the cast iron wrapping and bells and whistles on top, decorative accents. etc. It is considerably less money. When I started looking the Super was not available. But this week the person that had planned to buy the Super decided upon the larger PE Summit. Woo hoo! Saves me over a grand, and it is on the showroom floor with a pedestal, which was my preference. Point is...what is not available today may change tomorrow. So if the dealer you are working with has another stove you really have your eye on - let them know of your interest and you can be next in line perhaps.

Reactions: Todd
Do you mean cooking ON or IN the stove? Yes the cooktop can be nice. My wife sometimes throws potatoes or sweet potatoes IN the stove. I have certainly been known to put some kebabs in it (sort of like using an Indian tandoor oven) once the fire dies down and it is just coals.
ON. I would not want to cook in it - concern would be anything with grease might send grease up the chimney. And I am not a baker...

I know you did not list it as available, but I learned the PE Super 27 is the Alderlea T5 without the cast iron wrapping and bells and whistles on top, decorative accents. etc. It is considerably less money. When I started looking the Super was not available. But this week the person that had planned to buy the Super decided upon the larger PE Summit. Woo hoo! Saves me over a grand, and it is on the showroom floor with a pedestal, which was my preference. Point is...what is not available today may change tomorrow. So if the dealer you are working with has another stove you really have your eye on - let them know of your interest and you can be next in line perhaps.
My neighbor just installed a Super last month and loves it!

• Love
Reactions: RShim
ON. I would not want to cook in it - concern would be anything with grease might send grease up the chimney. And I am not a baker...
It's easy to bake potatoes when the coal bed is dying down. No grease to worry about.
Congratulations on the new stove. I'm glad it worked out for you.

@Rowood did you decide on a stove?