Should I bypass the thermo snapdisk on my insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clydesdale

Mar 8, 2016
New York
I have had one go after 3 years and I have about 3 years on the replacement one, so I am planning on the thermodisk going bad. Should I bypass it? What are the advantages or disadvantages to this.

I have had one go after 3 years and I have about 3 years on the replacement one, so I am planning on the thermodisk going bad. Should I bypass it? What are the advantages or disadvantages to this.
if you do a lot of top down cold starts I would probably bypass. I can get the stove top up t temp a hour or two before the blower kicks on. But it won’t automatically shut off.

If you run 24/7 it’s a wash either way.

The downside will be extra wear on the blower motor and fan bearings if the fan continues to run while the stove has cooled down. That and a bit more electricity usage.

I bypassed mine for a while, to get earlier startup on a fresh fire....
....but then I turned it off before bed. Wood isn't great, so not loading for overnight burns. I figured it would be blowing cold air around 4am. I reverted it back after a month or so.

Snap disks are cheap. I'd just get a new one and have it on hand as a spare.

My BK stove didn’t come with snap disk. Instead I put the blower fan on a wifi smart plug. Now I can tell Alexa to turn on or off the fan. Before bed I tell Alexa to turn on the blower for ex: 6hrs, etc. Once i figured out my stove’s heating pattern I have a good idea of how long to run the fan. It’s not as easy as a snap disc but it’s better than nothing. The plug also monitors usage stats, not that fans are expensive to operate. Our kWh hour rate here is about .14 cents, so the past 30 days cost roughly .75 cents to operate.

B85F33BB-F4A9-43D5-A90F-EAC6BC7A6D48.png 19B2565A-783D-46A6-B613-288A3D045926.png