Should I insulate the fireplace walls and rear?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RickBlaine

Burning Hunk
Jan 12, 2014
Chicago
How much heat is "lost" by being absorbed by the brick? My sexy Englander 13 stove sits in a masonry fireplace, and I use an IR gun to record temps of 225 degrees F on the surface of the fireplace's black inside brick, while recording temps of 580 on the flue collar.

The bricks remain warm even after the stove cools down. I have a pedestal fan which blows into the fireplace and removes some of that heat.

I have a block-off plate, Roxul insulation above that plate, 15 feet of insulated liner running through my masonry chimney, a Roxul-insulated smoke shelf, and Roxul below the top plate. Outside with the IR gun, I measure no difference between air temperature and chimney brick temps. So, no heat loss.

Just wondering if I should add a layer of Roxul against the fireplace sides and back and then "seal" it with 3 metal sheets from Home Depot. Would that prevent the fireplace bricks from absorbing heat, and thus, allow more heat to radiate out immediately? Again, I don't detect a single degree of difference in the outside chimney walls vs. the outside air temp. I am not losing heat through the outside chimney. When it snows, the entire chimney stays dusted with snow even as a fire rages.

Not complaining....just wondering about increasing efficiency. All thoughts welcome!

Attachments

• Stove2.jpg
    Stove2.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 212
You may get heat quicker but you will loose the heat retention of the bricks. Nevertheless, I don't see how it could hurt but when you don't notice any heat loss on the outside it may be just a waste of your time.

Thanks Grisu- that makes sense. No need messing with it then.

@mellow: Thanks for your reply. I came across your original "insulation" thread when I was still lurking here- before I signed up. It got me thinking....

So I followed your nice write-up and checked the chimney temps several times over several days over different stages of the fires. No temp difference. So I guess the inside fireplace brick walls soak up some heat, but that heat is later released inside the house- not outside. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.