Should I replace the Door gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Talegas

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2016
Metrowest MA
Hey guys,
do you think this merits a change of the entire gasket? I was thinking of putting a bit of silicon to keep it together, but wondered if it should be done properly.

thoughts?
C62iBIo.jpg

yRs8GBF.jpg

I would just push the gasket back down and put a new piece of tape on it. if you can get silicone behind the gasket that will help hold it but put tape on top. Forget trying to fill the seam with just silicone because the heat and pressure causes the silicone to stick to the stove and the seam will open right back up.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
I would just push the gasket back down and put a new piece of tape on it. if you can get silicone behind the gasket that will help hold it but put tape on top. Forget trying to fill the seam with just silicone because the heat and pressure causes the silicone to stick to the stove and the seam will open right back up.

That's where I'd start too. Nothing really to loose by trying it.